Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Boy Uses Money Saved for PS4 to Buy Smoke Alarms For Community

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Montoya almost had enough money to buy his dream toy, when he saw a sad story on the news about a mother and daughter who died in a house fire, the television station reported.

It turned out, their home didn’t have a smoke detector.

“It really hurts my heart to see people die in fires,” Montoya said.

So, the Grand Prairie boy took all of the money he’d saved and bought almost a hundred smoke detectors, the station reported.

What an awesome kid! Also the GoFundMe has already raised $6,490 out of a $7,000 goal. If you want to donate GO HERE. Hectors Detectors is pretty catchy.

Apparently someone has already made sure he has his PS4.

You've really got to commend the kid and his parents. The local Fire Department has been helping him install the things too. I really hope a bunch of jaded people don't start chiming in that the parents put him up to it because they knew if it got any publicity he would probably get the PS4 and a ton of free games.

Also, everyone go check your smoke alarms. I know mine needs batteries.

Link
Link2 With Video

I just realized this story is older than I thought and has probably been posted. I will search again.
edit on 3020140420141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I know in some cases we complain about the youth of today, but we do have some good kids out there. I have been marveling at kids and teens opening doors for my friend and I at places a lot. That was a wonderful kid to do what he did.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Hmmm... Most local fire departments in the US offer free detectors includiding LA where this boy is from.

Free smoke detectors available at LAFD stations
www.cd13.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I know in some cases we complain about the youth of today, but we do have some good kids out there. I have been marveling at kids and teens opening doors for my friend and I at places a lot. That was a wonderful kid to do what he did.
In my experience, if you get away from the big cities most teens/kids are good. They get a bum wrap because of the televised footage of the city gangs.
In 2012 and 2013 here in the uk I saw teenagers not far from where I live helping push cars up snow covered roads and clearing the walk ways, they did all this off their own backs too! I was so impressed I left a couple of 8 packs where I knew they'd find them
edit on 30-4-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Now I see the station reporting is from LA but the boy is from Ft. Worth which also offers free detectors.

fortworthtexas.gov...

Free Smoke Detector Program The Fort Worth Fire Department wants to ensure that you and your family are safe from ravages of fire. One way that we try to accomplish this is with our "Smoke Detector Program" where we provide free smoke detectors to our citizens. If you are in need of a smoke detector, please contact our Public Education Section at 817-392-6862. Or you may download a smoke detector request form in English or Spanish to have a detector installed in your home A member of our Department will contact you to schedule a convenient time to install the detector.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Even if they are offered for free, it doesn't diminish this boy's intentions and altruism one bit. If anything, considering the economic woes that California has been facing, having a charitable donation of additional fire alarms including volunteering to help install them is probably something still appreciated.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

He lives in Texas.

I just saw that you saw that.
edit on 3020140420141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Now from another article I see he is from Grand Prairie not Ft. Worth but the victims of the fire were. Regardless, his heart is in the right place. Fire detector awareness in any form is a good idea.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Snf what a legend!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Usually alot of bad stuff about anything becomes catchy headlines, to be honest most of the good stuff I read right here on ATS even if the thread isn't "popular" I see lots of good kids in my community all the tie though if that helps

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
this is awesome. more and more kids are crossing over to lives of selflessness. its beautiful

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Way to set the bar kid....way to make me feel like a lazy slob..

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Just read the title of your thread and it gave me one of those sad happy feelings, what a good kid, it is truly nice to know that there are still good seed's whom may acheive great thing's out there.
This boy is a shining example not only to his peer's but also his elders.

new topics

top topics

join