It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to NASA: Use trampolines to get into space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

(post by tadaman removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

I've had way, way more than 40 years on this planet, and I can tell you that the ignorance of racism and general confrontational, judgemental nature is not exclusive, it is within every soul on this planet.

It is the inherent flaw in mankind that will lead it to its own doom eventually.

I fully agree with you 100%. Racism, judgmental one-sided finger pointing, stereotyping and calls for violent confrontation...all of it...a wasteful and dangerous game. Its sad too many people play it feeling justified all the way.

People are people. We are all human and we are all flawed and beautiful. No one race of our species is less or more than the next.

Including "Russians".

MM

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Funny how people jump to denounce Russian stereotypes, but applaud American stereotypes.

I am honestly a little disgusted.

(Insert appropriate insult) back at you hateful little and insignificant men.

and you wonder why we act the way we do. You deserve worse. Much worse, though thankfully enough for you all, we are more civilized than you when it matters, not when its convenient (not me, enemies are made like this). I am not the bigger man. If you like calling my people cavemen I will be obliged to prove you right when I meet one of yours with similar sentiment towards his fellow man.

Sick of it.

EDIT TO ADD:

Why dont you put your country and people where your mouth is. Ante up jerks.

edit on 5 3 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Uh... let's remember this topic is posted in the Space Ex Forum.

Let's try to steer the comments accordingly, Please.

Russia to NASA: Use trampolines to get into space

edit on Sat May 3 2014 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Meanwhile in Russia... they are developing a new modular rocket system "Angara" that will be relatively cheap, efficient, and will allow delivery of up to 36 tonnes of payload into low-earth orbit, as well as smaller payloads into geostationary orbit. But it will be even more powerful than Proton, and currently has no equivalent in the world.

www.youtube.com...

After two decades in development, the new Russian Angara space booster finally reached the launch pad in 2014. The flight testing of the new-generation rocket family was scheduled to start with the light-weight Angara-1 launcher. In addition to paving the way for a much larger workhorse vehicle, Angara-1 was being positioned as the main light-weight delivery system for compact satellites of the Russian Ministry of Defense, the domestic civilian space agency Roskosmos and for international customers around the world. In all three roles, Angara-1 was expected to replace space launchers converted from ballistic missiles, such as Rockot and Dnepr. Unlike its Cold-War predecessors, Angara would use much less toxic propellants in most of its propulsion systems and use newer hardware built entirely inside Russia. However, at the same time, Angara-1 enters a crowded launch market on the heels of other new players in the same 'weight category' at home and abroad, such as the European Vega and the Russian Soyuz-2-1v rockets. The URM-1 standard module will serve as a first-stage booster for all versions of the Angara rocket. Angara-1 would feature one URM-1, Angara-3 would be made of three URMs and Angara-5 would sport five URMs. Finally, Angara-7, if ever approved for development, could feature six URM-1 boosters. All URM modules will feature a liquid propellant stage equipped with the RD-191 engine and burning kerosene fuel and and liquid oxygen as an oxidizer. The engine has the capability to gimbal in its suspension system in order to steer the rocket along the pitch and yaw axis. The roll of the vehicle will be controlled with two aerodynamic stabilizers and four thrusters installed in the tail of the rocket and fed by a hot gas generated in the main engine.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
Meanwhile in Russia... they are developing a new modular rocket system "Angara" that will be relatively cheap, efficient, and will allow delivery of up to 36 tonnes of payload into low-earth orbit, as well as smaller payloads into geostationary orbit. But it will be even more powerful than Proton, and currently has no equivalent in the world.

Disagree that it has no equivalent. Angara 1 will be able to deliver 2 tons to low earth orbit. The SoaceX Falcon 9 can deliver 7 tons right now, at a very low cost. The Angara 5 will be able to deliver 24.5 tons to low earth orbit, and the SpaceX Falcon Heavy will be able to do 26.5 tons. Both are on a similar development schedule, with the Falcon Heavy probably being ahead of the Angara 5. Larger Angara variants haven't even been approved for development, so they're a ways off, if they ever happen at all. SpaceX is already into development of their next vehicles beyond the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

OK first of all there are many Americans I respect, on ATS and in history. There are many achievement I admire from the USA. The mistreatment of US congress towards NASA since the 1980s is not one of them.

Now I would rather USA remains the world superpower in my life time or at the very least a balancing force. I do not want Russia or China in control. BUT the USA has made some awful miss calculations the last 30 years and it has its weaknesses. Failing to acknowledges said weaknesses and covering them in arrogance will just mean the USA going the same way as the British/Spanish/Mongol and roman empires, which it one day will but sooner rather than latter and Unless the EU is the superpower that rises in its place I do not want to be alive when the USA goes under. But the USA government seems focused on going from one blunder to another.

I place myself as realist.

If not recognizing the USA as 100% perfect and the most wonderful place to live in (which I don't even think my own country England is) make me a commie terrorist American hater than so be it.

As for my view on the shuttle?

Lets qualify it a bit more shall we?

The Shuttle was a very impressive and very advanced piece of kit designed to fulfill and very niche role and that was its problem.

Most of its design and construction was down to requirements for USAF and certain missions it wanted carried out due to the cold war. Most of its missions were not meant to be civilian but military in nature. At the time high maintenance and complexity were not issues.

When the cold war ended NASA got stuck with a over engineered complex kit that was overkill for the majority of its missions extremely tricky and expensive to maintain hence some of the corner cutting that lead to its fatal accidents. Think of it as using a B-2 to deliver food aid to Africa? The shuttle was just not a cost effective or good way to conduct the majority of civilian NASA missions. You may say the repairing of the Hubble ? But does a $5 billion telescope really merit and $200 billion shuttle program? Fact is NASA should have kept a cheaper capsule design going like the Gemini, if it had the USA would likely not have to be currently hitching rides on a hostile nations space program.

My point is you cant blame Russia for the US congresses failings. Russia may be corrupt, it maybe be belligerent and it may be standing below the moral high ground BUT is it there fault you have to hitch rides with them or US congress that gutted NASA of funds?
edit on 6-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954
America accomplished many amazing things in WII. Maybe it's time for NASA and the private space companies to crank it up a notch!

Err no. Your space program was 100% German who also invented a lot of other stuff during WW2. The British also invented a lot of things too during WW1/2 like the tank and radar.

What amazing things do you mean? A yellow streak? A lack of morals? Only helping other when you get bombed?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

Err no. Your space program was 100% German ...

Both US and Soviets already had rocket programs during WW2, just not as advanced as the Germans.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join