It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what I should know about 'Border Collie' pup's

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
a reply to: Spiro

Thanks for sharing--- really cool.

I'm not a rancher/sheeper but I do spend a good part of my day, nearly every day out in the back country.

Once summer comes the family (pup included) will be spending time hiking fishing and generally exploring the high alpine Mesa Verde National Park!

Lots of open places to run and explore and two little girls that are just head over heels in love with that pup

I'm really, really happy to hear it. The fact that you are getting interaction between both the pup and your kids is absolutely great. And, to get out into nature together is not only good for the dog but you guys, as a family, too

We take Oscar Kayaking too...

There is a very old Yorkshire belief that if you have got a sheep dog that has a white tip on their tail, black colored on the roof of their mouths and have piercing eyes like Oscys here then you have got your self an intelligent dog.

Cheers

PS, Yorkshire, England for those wanting to know

edit on 30-4-2014 by Spiro because: someone pinched my dictionary

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Your bub is intelligent- I can tell by the smirk on his face! Is he watching birds? That would explain it (the smirk)!
edit on 13u4501pmb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye

Your bub is intelligent- I can tell by the smirk on his face! Is he watching birds? That would explain it (the smirk)!

If you revering to the picture above with Oscy in the boat then no, he is looking at me....I have the camera at knee level

He is smirking at me, wanting to go swimming lol

he is very alert and knows every command, not always by word but by tone of voice.

Thank you for your kind words,

Cheers
edit on 30-4-2014 by Spiro because: someone pinched my dictionary

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
5 weeks is a little young to be away from momma.

Most reputable breeders won't release dogs until 8 weeks at the minimum. So there could be some questionable breeding going on as far as the purebred angle goes.

But if you train her right she'll be a great family dog.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hmmmmmmm
5 weeks is a little young to be away from momma.

Most reputable breeders won't release dogs until 8 weeks at the minimum. So there could be some questionable breeding going on as far as the purebred angle goes.

But if you train her right she'll be a great family dog.

This s a very good point. The best way to over come this is to let her sleep on your lap or chest area. It will be looking for the comfort and warmth of security so be sure to recognise this. Though when it nears 10 weeks don't let it up at all, unless you want cuddles......cuddles are nice mmmmm

Cheers

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BendingTheTruth
a reply to: HardCorps

No doubt... They LOVE people. I actually bought ours for my wife (she's home all day), but he attached himself to me. He follows me everywhere... Kind of ticks her off, I think.

They do tend to form a strong attachment to one person, and that person is the be all and end all. We had a Border Collie bitch, Bonnie, and my Mum was her human. If we got too close to Mum, Bonnie would do everything to squeeze in between and whine until she was where she felt she ought to be.

To the OP - Great dogs, though I am not a dog person. Very faithful and full of energy. Like any working dog breed, if not given enough exercise and stimulus, they can be a little neurotic. So best to keep them busy.

Tendency to nip your heels, gently-ish...it's just as they do to the sheep if they are not responding quickly enough to being herded, the family is just a substitute flock

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I agree, they can be neurotic, my friends BC is obsessed with sticks, and stick shaped objects. Every walk it will find a stick and carry it every where. If the pup is still young, I would be careful not to put too much stress on growing joints with excessive exercise. I'm sure your vet can advise on this. Also think about obedience training, or dog agility classes when she is older. A good way to keep her mind occupied and get her some exercise.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You will love the dog if you can keep up with it. Lots of places have activities for these dogs, Agility, sheep herding etc...

I fell into a very young pup when working in Missouri. Mother was killed so I took a pup. 4-5 weeks old. Rode him around the state capitol building on our tool cart for about a week. Chick magnet lol....

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Congrats! She's adorable.

If you read any of this, please read the paragraph that starts with 'Remember they really want to please'.

I love mine, he's an awesome boy. I got him when he was under a year from a local shelter.

Here's a list of obvious stuff you already know!

Like everyone else said, lot's of exercise. It sounds like you definitely 'get it'. So many people think it's OK to have a dog as long as they have a yard. Dogs NEED to go for walks and be outside to explore and sniff new things, especially herding breeds. I live in a condo which sounds bad, but it forces me not to be lazy (by 6 PM my dog is exhausted and is currently passed out on my bed, probably on my pillow). We hit the dog park almost every day rain or shine so he can run flat out and wrestle with his buddies for at least an hour. I walk him decently 2-3 times a day and throw in a number of hikes during the week.

Border Collies really do need a job. At first obviously start working on basic obedience and socializing. You will probably be amazed how fast she picks up the basics. On a whim I taught rollover in about 5 minutes. I would also introduce a frisbee and ball as soon as possible. It is incredibly handy to be able to exercise the pup if you're sick or injured (or hungover) and they love it. Basic obedience classes are cheap, you get paired with dogs of a similar age/aptitude and the trainers usually have awesome tips and strategies for you even if you're no longer a novice. I think you should do this no matter how confident you are in your abilities because it will teach your girls a TON. Build up to agility or flyball and you've got a happy dog, girls proud of their accomplishments and will probably have to wipe away a tear or two.

Remember they really want to please. This isn't a breed you want to yell at. If you're not happy with something they've done they feel terrible. A calm but firm 'No' is usually all it takes. She might test you a little, but it's not the same as some of the more obstinate breeds. Correct the behavior, give it a few minutes (of heartbreak while she follows you and apologizes with a head on your knee and sad eyes) then reassure her that she's loved. They're incredibly sensitive and intuitive. This isn't your average dog, they really are amazingly smart and emotional. Yell at most breeds, they feel bad because they got in trouble. Yell at a Border Collie, they feel horrible because they let you down.

Be VERY wary of her around smaller children at first (when she gets . My dog doesn't know kids at all so I'm super cautious at the dog park. The breed likes to chase, and while mine doesn't nip heels, many do. Socialization is key, and if she is growing up with kids she probably won't do this. She will probably momma dog your kids and be super protective of them though. Grizzly bear comes at your family, that dog is going to attack it and be aware she can't win.

Take her to the vet and make sure to keep up on her shots (I just remembered we're overdue). Trim those nails. Buy this, I know it's expensive but you will thank me. Get the vet to recommend a monthly pill to protect against fleas and other nasty critters. I've yet to see a flea even though my bud plays with tons of other dogs. Have the vet recommend a good food.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My brother got Wagley when she was about 8 months, in Jan 2010 I think I remember correctly. He lived with me in a 2nd floor 2BR apt with a nice courtyard. Everyday brother was on a shift (EMT) he'd open the door to our bedroom (me & S.O.) & toss the pup onto the bed. Love that dog.
I have articles (a butter knife, coffee table, hairbrush) the dog chewed up as a puppy. Annoying as hell at the time. But reflects a failing on part of the owner, not the dog.
It cannot be stressed enough that to have a dog, any dog, especially a herding dog of high intelligence, & not consistently (EVERY day, MULTIPLE X per day) give it exercise and mental stimulation is cruel & lazy.
The dog will probably try to herd you the first months of learning to walk on a leash. Or just in playing in the yard. Of course my brother doesnt have her on leash often, but it is essential if you are to take the dog in public areas.

The dog knows a lot of tricks. Brother taught her to "Run around THAT" or Run around THIS" designated by pointing, as well as Run around Sam, Run around Jenny, (known by name) & Run around HIM (for a stranger). He taught her to find the ball, or find the frisbee, when both hidden at same time. Of course the usual lay down play dead stuff too.

My primary contribution to her training was Heal command when walking. I wanted to be able to look like we had a leash on her, walking (or jogging) with her right at our side. Not in front, but at the side. Heal! Heal. Heal. Heal. H E A L. ..... H e a l. Heal. Heal. HEAL! That was a walk with her in those days. H E A L !

My brother spends 5+ months each year in Alaska. Dog plays with salmon on the banks of rivers with bear on the other bank.
edit on 1-5-2014 by kkrattiger because: Add pic

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: kkrattiger

Cool beans...

Oh and as of this morning... we have two BC pups.

same lady who gave us the first one, dropped off her sister this morning.

I knew I should have electrified that gate!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A few more pics. I remember when the dog looked like your little puppy! They grow really fast!

I told her "Get up on that Rock" and pointed, to get this picture.

I think dogs in "clothes" is a ridiculous thing, even bandannas, but this was just a one-off as someone brought it to her as a souvenir from somewhere so brother put it on her.
edit on 1-5-2014 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
LoL, mAybe the dog wouldve taken to the training quicker if I'd spelled H-E-E-L correctly. H e e l, damn dog, HEEL!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join