It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coagula
Is there any reason for Halal being an anagram of Allah?

Something to do with dialect, search Arabic, and Arabic dialect, on Google.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: samsamm9
It was expected. This thread is a riot. Wow lol

On a serious note.
if you would please take a little moment and watch this video.

It basically explains and shows what is halal meat. It is a very interesting video or your money back.

Even if you dislike everything about "islam", try to watch it objectively and tell me what you think.

Ridiculous.

The goat submits because every time he tried to escape in the beginning of the exercise you put your hand on his throat -- the most detrimental area to his survival -- and force him to the ground. SURELY THIS IS GOD.

Try doing it without saying the evangelistic garblespeak. Tell the goat "Satan loves you, im going to devour you and rest in sin", I guarantee you it will have the same effect, because youre stressing the animal out until it just submits so as not to continue to have it's throat threatened by a bunch of pseudo-evangelistic neanderthals.

You see what happens when the goats get the balls to try and escape for a last time? They "baah" in terror and take off. It's almost as if Allah doesn't show up in this situation whatsoever and this is INCREDIBLY BASIC ANIMAL BEHAVIOUR.

There's a reason halal meat is not as tender. They are stressed as hell during the slaughtering process. You can see their muscles tensing; that animal does not look "relaxed", it looks terrified.
edit on 30-4-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Good lord, some of you people would lose your sh*t in NYC.

Some serious ignorance here, and a story totally blown out of proportion, no doubt.

INTRODUCING CERTIFIED HALAL MEATS
All meats are Halal

Due to the growing popularity of the SUBWAY® chain, with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland, we put a programme in place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location.

All our suppliers comply with EU animal welfare legislation as a minimum and we require suppliers of Halal products to adopt the stunning of animals prior to their slaughter. All Halal meats are certified by the appropriate Halal authorities.

All Halal SUBWAY® stores have numerous signs stating that they serve Halal food. These are situated on the menu panels, nutritional information and in the front window of the store. Details about the locations of Halal stores can be found on the store finder at www.subway.com

What is Halal?
In Arabic, the word Halal means "permitted" or "lawful" and defines anything that is allowed or lawful according to the Qur'an. It is often used in the context of food - especially meat - to indicate that the food has been prepared in accordance with Muslim principles and techniques.

Do all SUBWAY® stores serve Halal meats?
No. Only a limited number of SUBWAY® stores serve Certified Halal meats. For a list of participating stores please contact: [email protected] or go to the store finder at www.subway.com [Source]

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordGoofus
I don't really see a problem with this. They believe that customers didn't want pork, so they removed it from the menus. If it turns out it was just a vocal minority making it seem like there was more demand than there really was, as soon as their sales start consistently sliding month after month they'll add it back to the menu.

There seems to be an awful lot of people who are replying on the basis of three or four words in the headline, without reading anything else.

Non-halal meat has not be removed from the menu. Rather, Subway has allowed franchisees to move to a halal menu if they think it is appropriate for the area. This is not a change across the entire company. This is just an additional option that franchisees and individual stores can choose to take.

It's a perfectly sensible business move. If 99% of the customers in the area of the store are not going to buy your product, then either (i) change your location or (ii) change your product. Nobody is being "forced". There aren't angry chanting crowds of Muslims standing outside the door, demanding death for all pork-eaters. There's just an empty shop because no one is interested in going there.

Not aimed at the person that I am replying to, but to other posters in general...

If someone moved to a stereotypical small town in the bible belt that hasn't changed in a hundred years and opened up a shop selling nothing but the Koran, would you be accusing the Christians of "oppressing" him simply because none of them would be interested in going in to the shop, let alone buying anything? Is their lack of interest in his product some strange way of forcing their religion on him? Or is it simply that - a lack of interest.

I don't like Brussells sprouts, so guess what? I don't buy them.

According to some in this thread, I am clearly part of some evil conspiracy to destroy the Brussell-sprout-eating community and enforce my own strict AntiSproutatarian laws on the weeping men, women and children who have been so cruelly torn from their dietary ways. Or, perhaps, I'm just not interested in buying them.

No, that's far too simple, it must be the evil conspiracy, that's the only plausible answer...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

What a totally sproutist post!

You should try them with smoked bacon - mmmm

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amraks

having worked in an Australian subway, it's not all that 'fresh'. Worked there almost 10 years ago - haven't eaten it since.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bkaust

Haha same for me. All the meat comes in frozen. Not too fresh really. I cant stomach subway these days after working there. Mmmmmmmm microwaved meatballs

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MeteoraXV

I can only say that i'm fed up with this encroatchment on Society!

This is so childish to say that you or someone you know can't eat pork... wtf. Its upto the individual but unfortunately these people don't think for themselves.

Bacon tastes great and I shall continue to eat it whenever I feel the urge..

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I for one will be Boycotting Subway and I will be telling my friends and relatives to do the same thing.

The UK is an Anglo Saxon Country NOT a Muslim Country. Since when do a small number of immigrants get to dictate what the rest of us eat?

To hell with Subway! Hope it loses a lot of business and goes under!

This is prejudice!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Maybe that's why Muslims are always so pissed off.....they've never experienced bacon.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MeteoraXV

Slaughter of animals for meat, that's bs. Ill go vegetarian forever.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dorrell
I for one will be Boycotting Subway and I will be telling my friends and relatives to do the same thing.

The UK is an Anglo Saxon Country NOT a Muslim Country. Since when do a small number of immigrants get to dictate what the rest of us eat?

This is prejudice!

Subway aren't pandering to a minority, they are pandering to a customer base - which is exactly what you are asking them to do, by the way.

You also misunderstand basic economics and business. If you want to force a Subway franchisee to sell non-Halal meat, then you need to give him an overwhelming financial reason to do so. In other words, you should be gathering up all these friends of yours and everyone else you can find, heading over to the Subway in the nearest muslim community that hasn't made the switch yet, and buying as much of the non-Halal products as possible. "Boycotting" simply results in an even greater percentage of the Subway customer base being muslim, thereby increasing the economic incentive to move to Halal-only menus in more branches.

In other words, your proposed boycott is actually going to support the very actions that you are complaining about. Or at least, the actions as you perceive them: I would refer you to my earlier post about people replying without actually taking the time to read or understand the article.

edit on 2-5-2014 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dorrell

This is prejudice!

No they are not dictating what the rest of us eat. The relativey small number of Subway stores affected are simply catering to their local customer base and doing what makes good business sense for their store. What is the point of them stocking non halal if they are not going to sell it?

Subway stores are not a public service they are not obliged to stock anything, if you want bacon there are plenty of places you can get it.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Always complaining about 'Human Rights' yet they tell anyone who is 'Muslim' not to eat pork!

Double standards me thinks.

Eating what you want is a 'Human Right' too.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: EvillerBob

What a totally sproutist post!

You should try them with smoked bacon - mmmm

Add chestnuts too. Lovely.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

I worked on a normal slaughterhouse, and no animal suffered there,

What a joke!