It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand

page: 1http:/
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
- 185 branches across UK and Ireland now sell halal-only meat
- Halal refers to objects or actions permissible under Islamic law
- Pork is forbidden and while other meat can be eaten, it must be sourced, slaughtered and processed according to strict rules
- Subway said all halal meat served in its branches has come from animals that were stunned before being slaughtered
- Halal-only menu is in response to 'strong demand' from Muslim customers

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

big deal? no big deal?

no biggie in my opinion. pork is bad after all, muslims and jews have known this since forever. but from what i've heard, a lot of 'halal' meat sold in the stores and supermarket isn't so halal after all, it's just mass western produced meat labeled as halal...
edit on 30-4-2014 by MeteoraXV because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: MeteoraXV
Not that I hit that place up much...
But if they pull that crap across the pond, I will be done with them for good.

Think about it. A Subway Club without bacon???

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Oh god.....Please don't do that to the subway stores I eat at!! Bacon makes a sandwich....I don't care how the thing is processed, it tastes excellent!!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I'm guessing Subway, who are a private company in a free market, have looked at the numbers and decided that in certain areas, there is a great demand for this and they will make more money as not offering halal is limiting some customers choices.
There are about 1800 stores in the UK (roughly) so having 10% of them cater to a certain customer doesn't seem a huge deal to me.

Then again there issues of animal welfare regarding the Dhabihah (slaughter) of Halal meat.... and if the animal is not stunned or restrained during the slaughter, it can be painful and die more slowly with more issues.

As this discussion is not about Halal in general but just a private companies decision to have 10% of their outlets sell a particular kind of food, then I don't think it's a big issue really.

If ALL of them were changed over, then I'd have an issue.

Then again, I don't eat subway anyway

+23 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

pork is bad after all

No pork is not bad for you. But you may not know that pork is actually a good source of Vitamin C, niacin, phosphorus and zinc, and a very good source of protein, Vitamin B-12, iron and selenium. The reason why Jews and Muslims thought that pigs were bad is because of the way it kept itself cool which was to roll in mud and sometimes it's own feces this is why they considered the animal unclean. Primitive man didn't know enough about pigs to know that pigs don't have enough sweat glands to keep it cool this is why the pigs rolled in mud as a way to keep cool.

So it's fine to eat pork and free range pork has a better flavor than the factory raised pork.

edit on 30-4-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
exactly, business is business, i'd do the same thing

i'm kind of on the fence though regarding western slaughter vs halal and kosher. i believe recently in denmark they banned halal and kosher because it "infringed animal's rights". but then i did some research on the western method and the ritual slaughter methods and i can't help but take the side of the muslims and jews.
western slaughter is beyond cruel and it's inhumane, everything from the way the animals are treated, caged, drugged, stunned and killed. whereas the halal and kosher methods require skilled expert slaughters using special blades and skills which strive and generally succeed to make the death as quick and painless as possible, and thanking of the animal for its meat. and then we westerners have the nerve to think so highly of ourselves (in which we are justified in some areas, such as the way we let women actually have some freedom in life). so the "animal rights" reason is kind of hypocritical imo.
but i could be wrong
edit on 30-4-2014 by MeteoraXV because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Then they would lose my business.

Bacon.

Bacon.

(had to say it twice)

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When you take away a mans bacon, you're playing with fire.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Not that I hit that place up much...

But if they pull that crap across the pond, I will be done with them for good.

Think about it. A Subway Club without bacon???

Agreed, bacon makes everything taste batter. And without a doubt, I''m positive an Islamic country would cater to a western taste and have 200 of their restaurants serve us eggs with sausage links.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I really dislike that kind of meat...
animal abuse at it worst, I recommend everyone don't shop in stores that sales that tortured meat

Know your meat

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
There was a time when we had standards in this country, ritual slaughter is primitive and barbaric, even the UKs top vet is asking for it to be banned, Sikhs are not allowed to torture animals so eating this meat would be a cardinal sin for them, and Christians are warned about worshiping false idols in the new testament, also the Quran states muslims are permitted to eat non halal (haram) if that is all that is available, but we cant upset the muslims or there will be hell to pay. Its not just sub way though, waitrose are just as bad and many other supermarkets sell unlabled halal products to the unsuspecting public. shame I used to enjoy a sneaky subway on my way home, I wont be spending my hard earned in there anymore.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I think they need to rethink their immigration and also what normalizing immigrants, and an expectation that this occur for them, and for citizenship. With even citizens reviewed in practice. ie. you want to come to our nations, you fit in.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider
I agree with you there-its a barbaric practice,and would be illegal if it wasn't a "religious" custom.
But because its religious it gets allowed to continue instead of being banned under animal cruelty laws.
Disgusting IMO.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I thought the killing of animals to provide halal meat was considered cruel in the UK and am horrified to think my country is bowing to such cruelty.

We do sometimes have subways and any of that nonsense and we won't be going back again.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

pork is bad after all

No pork is not bad for you. But you may not know that pork is actually a good source of Vitamin C, niacin, phosphorus and zinc, and a very good source of protein, Vitamin B-12, iron and selenium. The reason why Jews and Muslims thought that pigs were bad is because of the way it kept itself cool which was to roll in mud and sometimes it's own feces this is why they considered the animal unclean. Primitive man didn't know enough about pigs to know that pigs don't have enough sweat glands to keep it cool this is why the pigs rolled in mud as a way to keep cool.

So it's fine to eat pork and free range pork has a better flavor than the factory raised pork.

Raising pigs is one of the biggest polluters.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Pork/bacon is good. I'm glad other people or religions don't like it because that just means MORE FOR ME!!!!

If business' start pandering to religions they won't last long. Liberal mentality and radical religions, like Judaism, Christianity and Islam, etc., have ruined life on earth.
edit on 30-4-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is Business.

Even if i hate Muslims, if one of my strongest customers from this part of the world demands certain meat, then i will cater. More money for me.

Do you know what McDonald serves in India? yup. Supply/Demand

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
This is Business.

Even if i hate Muslims, if one of my strongest customers from this part of the world demands certain meat, then i will cater. More money for me.

Do you know what McDonald serves in India? yup. Supply/Demand

So even though its cruel and barbaric, you would only think of the money you could earn?

If your customers wanted underage girls because in their religion it was ok to marry and have sex with them, would you be willing to provide that service, if the price was right of course?

No I dont know what McDonalds serve in India maybe you could tell me

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I dont like gurkins on my sub so I dont get them! I dont tell the store to stop serving them! If they dont want bacon then dont get it simple!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
I really dislike that kind of meat...
animal abuse at it worst, I recommend everyone don't shop in stores that sales that tortured meat

Know your meat

nice video. the slaughterer was excellent. see how fast the cow lost consciousness from one clean n quick cut

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join