It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earliest Jesus Depiction May Have Been Discovered In Ancient Egyptian Tomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

A team of Catalan archaeologists have discovered what they believe to among the oldest depictions of Jesus made by the earliest Coptic Christians in Egypt.

The researchers uncovered an underground structure in a series of buried tombs that date to the 6th and 7th centuries. Among the Coptic, or early Christian, images painted on the walls was what lead researcher Josep Padró described as "the figure of a young man, with curly hair, dressed in a short tunic and with his hand raised as if giving a blessing."

www.huffingtonpost.com...
Small article maybe you guys can dig up some more info..btw if I am not too attentive in this or other posts I have participated in it's because it's Golden wk in Japan so I maybe missing in action..

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
By "earliest discovery", do you mean earliest to man's best knowledge at this stage ?

History is the most distorted, most corrupted thing EVER !

Those who win the war get to re-write history. So what is history ?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

...or the earliest depiction of Mr. Spock (notice his right hand, live long and prosper and all)

This is a very good find, thanks for bringing it here. I love those old paintings, and wonder how long our modern masterpieces will be preserved.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
umm.. Soo Jesus looked like Jerry Seinfeld then?

Wow

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarksideOz
By "earliest discovery", do you mean earliest to man's best knowledge at this stage ?

Good point!

I'd also like to remind that war is not a game. It was a one sided slaughter/enforcing. First the attacked ones had no weapons until they knew of the spreading force, lived freely without controlling systems. The "losers" were then enslaved and some of them taken as warriors. The ancient Americans are the last example of that event, which happened world wide.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Honestly ... I'm just not seeing the leap to that being 'jesus'. It could be anyone in the early church. And if it turns out to be 'Jesus', then it's still just an artists rendition 500 years after he died. I'd want to see a artists picture from that time period.

THIS PAINTING is said to be of Mary and Jesus by ST. Luke, who actually knew Mary. If authentic, it's probably the only painting of Jesus (or Mary) done by people who actually knew the Holy Family. Mary could have described Jesus to St. Luke. And of course, he knew Mary so he'd get the painting fairly accurate.

IF authentic ...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Would love to know what the inscriptions say.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarksideOz

Well it have to be as far as is known, this is what is called soft sciences what we think we know can be undone with the next shovel full of rubble at a site,or a fine tuning of the genetic mapping.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Yeah me too keep an eye out for updates btw this is the second such find in Egypt regarding Christian figures
Remeber this a few wks ago??
1,300-year-old Egyptian mummy had tattoo of Archangel Michael - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
To be honest, I associated the picture right away with a deck of playing cards rather than a religious figure.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

It could also have been of Appolonius of Tayana because he travelled to Egypt as an adult and spent time there, whereas Christ was there till he was twelve, although counted as adult, that painting looks to me as though it is of a full-grown man. We think of Christ as having long hair and the Greeks/Turks etc etc with short curly hair, often medium brown. I doubt we will every know who it actually is.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
lol what about all the other religions that claim to have a 'jesus' before Christianity?

maybe it was

Attis of Phrygia
Horus
Zoroaster/Zarathustra
Glycon
Dionysus
etc , etc

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

It could also have been of Appolonius of Tayana because he travelled to Egypt as an adult and spent time there, whereas Christ was there till he was twelve, although counted as adult, that painting looks to me as though it is of a full-grown man. We think of Christ as having long hair and the Greeks/Turks etc etc with short curly hair, often medium brown. I doubt we will every know who it actually is.

Well this off course is still very far from any historical Jesus,remember this was just religious art not a sitting portrait,if I am not mistaken the long haired Jesus came some what later especially with the rise of Western Christianity think Micheal Angelo who popularized that image.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
lol what about all the other religions that claim to have a 'jesus' before Christianity?

maybe it was

Attis of Phrygia
Horus
Zoroaster/Zarathustra
Glycon
Dionysus
etc , etc

Yes the Jesus that we know today is a composite of probably all the above whoever the historical Jesus he most likely bares very little resemblance to our concept btw Just read that Jesus had a wife a find also in Egypt..man Egypt is on a roll in Christian discoveries lately
Papyrus mentions Jesus wife authentic?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
They speculate it was from the 6-7th C. AD, made by Coptics (who were Christians). It probably is one of the earliest known depictions of the Christ icon (if it indeed holds up as authentic), although I don't see it proving or disproving anything.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

That website had a correction

CORRECTION: A previous headline of this article incorrectly suggested the depiction found in Egypt was the earliest known; it is among the earliest, but other images thought to be of Jesus predate it. The article has also been updated to reflect doubts about the authenticity of the 'Savior of Galilee' booklet, and a reference to the tomb of a scribe has been removed to clarify that it is not where the image was discovered.

It might be JC or some other saint or holy figure - from the bad photo I could see the gold 'halo' which signified such. A date of the 6th century AD would put this source some 570+ years away from the events thought to have occurred in or around 33 AD. So not terribly reliable the equivalent would be someone today creating an image (in 2014) of a person from 1444 AD (approximately)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

Probably the only thing significant about this being from Egypt is that Monasticism began there, ascetics, hermits, monks, however you want to call them, the idea being that you live a solitary life of poverty and devotion.

Institutional Christian monasticism seems to have begun in the deserts in 3rd century Egypt as a kind of living martyrdom. Anthony of Egypt (251-356) is the best known of these early hermit-monks. Anthony the Great and Pachomius were early monastic innovators in Egypt, although Paul the Hermit is the first Christian historically known to have been living as a monk. Eastern Orthodoxy looks to Basil of Caesarea as a founding monastic legislator, as well to as the example of the Desert Fathers.

This being a fairly crude painting of a Christ-like figure could be from such an individual, from around a few hundred years after the movement began.

Monasticism (wikipedia)
Christian monasticism before 451 (wikipedia)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

That website had a correction

CORRECTION: A previous headline of this article incorrectly suggested the depiction found in Egypt was the earliest known; it is among the earliest, but other images thought to be of Jesus predate it. The article has also been updated to reflect doubts about the authenticity of the 'Savior of Galilee' booklet, and a reference to the tomb of a scribe has been removed to clarify that it is not where the image was discovered.

It might be JC or some other saint or holy figure - from the bad photo I could see the gold 'halo' which signified such. A date of the 6th century AD would put this source some 570+ years away from the events thought to have occurred in or around 33 AD. So not terribly reliable the equivalent would be someone today creating an image (in 2014) of a person from 1444 AD (approximately)

Nice find thanks for the heads up

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Honestly ... I'm just not seeing the leap to that being 'jesus'. It could be anyone in the early church. And if it turns out to be 'Jesus', then it's still just an artists rendition 500 years after he died. I'd want to see a artists picture from that time period.

THIS PAINTING is said to be of Mary and Jesus by ST. Luke, who actually knew Mary. If authentic, it's probably the only painting of Jesus (or Mary) done by people who actually knew the Holy Family. Mary could have described Jesus to St. Luke. And of course, he knew Mary so he'd get the painting fairly accurate.

IF authentic ...

You know, Jesus would get suspended for doing that hand gesture in school these days. Just sayin'...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Yeah me too keep an eye out for updates btw this is the second such find in Egypt regarding Christian figures
Remeber this a few wks ago??
1,300-year-old Egyptian mummy had tattoo of Archangel Michael - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, I started a topic on that one, Egypt plays prominently in the history of Jesus, but I don't know the facts behind why.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join