It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism- Blatant Hipocrisy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
As a black person, I shake my head at the utter hipocrisy concerning racism in our country. If making negative, stereotypical comments about a particular race of people is deemed "unprofessional" and "offensive", where they should be made to pay a fine and banned from the industry, should we not then put to task:

Jamie Fox- "Black people are the MOST talented people on the planet" in an public audience of mixed races

Jamie Fox- "It was great to kill all the white people" (when asked publically about 'Django')

Rappers Lil' Wayne, Lil Boosie, Yo Gotti, Gucci Mane, Jay Z, T.I., Kanye West, Niki Minaj, Chief Keef, Ice Cube (with NWA), and ALL the rest except Will Smith- 98% of their songs, played publically on the radio, that refer to blacks as the 'n' word. In their references, they call them dumb, stupid, ugly, and most of all they described the manner in which they will murder a 'n'.

Democratic Politicians Top Democratic Racist Statements

So as long as vote liberal, you are able to make racist comments which either get applauded or laughed at, seen as "jokes".

On another note:

When a few of my peers weighed in on the Donald Sterling incident, they were perplexed at my support of the man's freedom of speech. They began to ask me how I would feel if I caught my employer calling me an 'n' on tape. I honestly responded that I couldn't care less, as I have surely called my employer not-so-pleasant names. The issue for me is that I be treated fairly. As long as I am not harmed physically or finacially by it, they have every right to feel a certain sentiment...

and I nor government should be able to regulate that.

Further, I hate to see how thin-skinned and entitled that my race of people have become to verbal slurs or personal opinions. I remember learning about Civil Rights in a Constitional Law course and discovering that Civil Rights legislation was not enacted under the Equal Protection Clause, as many would believe. This means that Congress did not feel like it was an 'equality' issue; when they began forcing white private business owners to service patrons they did not care for, it was done for revenue purposes.

Yep. Civil Rights was passed under the COMMERCE clause; i.e., giving blacks the sentiment that they would no longer be discriminated was done for profit, much like it is today.

Was it a beautiful statement about blacks that Sterling made? Of course not, but we are all EQUALLY protected under the Constitution...

right?

Thoughts?

edit on 4302014 by QueenofSpades because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: QueenofSpades

but we are all EQUALLY protected under the Constitution... right?

That is certainly the way I thought it was to be!

The issue for me is that I be treated fairly.

This should be the issue for us all! "Race" has been used as a weapon for years upon years. As long as it divides us, we cannot work together to right the wrongs that have been done to us all

Our government seems to have forgotten what it was formed to do.

I remember leraning about Civil Rights in a Constitional Law course and discovering that Civil Rights legislation was not enacted under the Equal Protection Clause, as many would believe. This means that Congress did not feel like it was an 'equality' issue; when they began forcing white private business owners to service patrons they did not care for, it was done for revenu purposes.

I remember the Civil Rights movement well. I promise you that revenue was not the issue for the majority of us who supported equality. It was a Human Rights issue.

Star and Flag for a well-written, unbiased thread regarding equality.

Jas

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

Absolutely!! and thanks for your response.

When Republicans overwhelmingly voted in support of the Civil Rights, it WAS a HUMAN RIGHTS issue- you are spot on with that fact!

However, when Democrats (who truth be it told, gave very low support of it) voted for it, it was enacted under the Commerce Clause. Congress saw it as an opportunity to increase revenue, thus private business owners were then forced to go against their personal sentiment.

Those cases were SO interesting to learn about!!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Everytime any movement starts gaining momentum, it gets highjacked and brought under one of the two party banners before it can become a real threat to the real power structure. People are just now catching on with OWS and Tea Party, but it's been going on forever.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Black Mississippi Democrat Rep. Called Clarence Thomas An 'Uncle Tom'

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) called Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas an "Uncle Tom" and said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has made a racist statement about President Obama.

Thompson made the remarks during the New Nation of Islam radio program over the weekend.

Thompson, who is black, also said that Republicans only oppose Obamacare and are anti-government because President Barack Obama is black.

"I've been in Washington. I saw three presidents now. I never saw George Bush treated like this. I never saw Bill Clinton treated like this with such disrespect," Thompson said. "That Mitch McConnell would have the audacity to tell the president of the United States — not the chief executive but the commander-in-chief — that 'I don't care what you you come up with we're going to be against it.' Now if that's not a racist statement I don't know what is."

So when the NBA owner made bigoted statements to his sleezy girlfriend in a private conversation ... he got 'banned for life' and fined millions of dollars. Maybe the House of Representatives ban this fella for life and fine him for making his public bigoted (ignorant) statements??

Is there a code of conduct for the House of Representatives? Yep.
Code of Conduct

Well .. there isn't anything in there about members in the House of Representatives not being able to make fools out of themselves by spewing bigoted nonsense in public. So I guess this fella' will get a free pass. Eh?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'm not sure of your age backet, QueenofSpades, so please forgive me if I sound patronizing.

To watch what was happening to the people involved at that time (the private citizenry) wasn't interesting...it was heart-wrenching. I lived in the South when all the turmoil was happening.

Until we refuse to let "racism" divide us, until we stop looking at each other as different "races", until we become convinced that each of us is equal to the other, the government has us by the throat and can pretty much make us dance to their tune.

There is only one race upon this earth: the human race. Until people fully absorb that fact and refuse to be manipulated by "popular" trends, racism will continue to be a division among us. A very dangerous division.

Blessings,
Jas

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

very good, Star for u

and that is why,, Rosa Parks ,refusal and rightly so i might add, too sit at the back of the bus,, was so pivotal.
Because while the Racist, I'm Superior, attitude of the common American racist was forced too open there eyes too lost profits,, well, that was just good business,
now that the seating had too be equal as well,,,
well that was just hard too stand for.

American History, seem's too be serving some sort of, Plan.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

I would say that it's because everything is political, and that's why I LOVE politics.

My favorite political science professor stated: The simple definition of politics is determining who gets what, when, where, and why.

In every issue, every event, think of it in these terms. Yes, the 2 groups view it differently because each interprets the constitution differently:

Conservatives- strict, narrow interpretation...the Constitution says what it means and means what it says. Conservatives love the Constitution because we see how vital it is to our basic civil liberties

Liberals- Loose, broad interpretation...the Constitution is outdated and can stand for some "changes". It can mean what it needs to mean to be able to benefit from a cause

As a black conservtive, I clearly understand the loose interpretation that Democrats in the 1700's gave it; they believed in their "liberty" to own other individuals.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread, well-said!

We are all the same and I believe the majority of Americans feel and behave that way. The media is controlled by the elite and they will continue to push things that cause people to feel divided. I'm not falling for it anymore! The sooner we get the masses to understand that, the sooner we can turn this ship around!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

"1700's gave it; they believed in their "liberty" to own other individuals. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

which was largely a carry over mindset from European Gentry, noble's etc,,,,
and which America was Beholden too God , too abandon,,
All Men Created Equal,, before God.

they alway's forget the before God, part.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
There certainly seems to be a bit of a double standard. If you read comments on the different ESPN articles, there's a general sentiment it seems that if you're a minority you can't be racist because you have to be in a position to oppress someone in order to be racist.

Seems completely out of whack to me, but if that's the case then I'm all set since I'm in no position to oppress anybody, so according to their logic can't possibly be racist.

I've had to deal with racism personally and it sucks. Yes, I'm white. To think that only minorities can be victims of racism just doesn't make sense. I guess those signs directed at my family that I had so much fun destroying when I was younger and living in Texas weren't racist because I'm white. They would say things like "Go home n-- lover!" And other brilliant things along those lines. Just because my step-dad was black and my two little sisters are mixed.

Racism is racism, regardless of the color of the person's skin who perpetrated that racism.

link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

I'm not sure of your age backet, QueenofSpades, so please forgive me if I sound patronizing.

To watch what was happening to the people involved at that time (the private citizenry) wasn't interesting...it was heart-wrenching. I lived in the South when all the turmoil was happening.

Until we refuse to let "racism" divide us, until we stop looking at each other as different "races", until we become convinced that each of us is equal to the other, the government has us by the throat and can pretty much make us dance to their tune.

There is only one race upon this earth: the human race. Until people fully absorb that fact and refuse to be manipulated by "popular" trends, racism will continue to be a division among us. A very dangerous division.

Blessings,

Jas

Thank you.

Noo..please don't think that I meant what was happening to the people was amusing.... I was referring to my understanding about Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, and protections under the Constitution, and found it interesting. I had so many misconcpetions before about them.

link   
Next time make sure you know what you're talking about before starting a thread.

If you have issues with Jamie Foxx or whatever rapper you are ranting on about then take it up to their respective record labels.

Donald Sterling's freedom of speech was not violated, and was not infringed upon. He is free to remain a racist for the remainder of his life, and he's free to call every black person that walks in front of him the N word. But he just won't be able to attend any NBA events or own an NBA team.

The NBA is an association, where you sign a lot of contracts. In some of those contracts there is a lot of fine print about "ethics." If you violate any part of that contract you can be fined, stripped of your ownership or both.

If the commissioner hadn't taken action then all it would take is 4/5 of owners voting to strip him of ownership of his team.
edit on 4/30/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Very good, you have summed it up very well. The real hypocrisy here is the fact that everyone in the NBA have known this guy was a slum lord and racist for the past 20 years.

People will dig into this and out the NBA and its spoke's people for the real hypocrites they are, the sad thing being it may lesson that fact that this guy is a real bottom feeder.

This will not go away any time soon...which I think is the whole point as to why it came out now, it almost seems like Sterling being a liberal Democrat through himself on the preverbal sword.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Noo..please don't think that I meant what was happening to the people was amusing....

Not at all! It was my feeble attempt to express a thought. I'm so sorry it came out that way.

J

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
That's some damn fine reading right there. You have been able to bring yourself above the BS and see what's really important. What doesn't hurt you or yours, doesn't really matter. That kind of thinking that could bring an end to racism. Could. If people are no longer bothered by others who don't like them because of their race, and ignore the idiots, racism just might fade away. Or become one big joke.

Honestly, I crack jokes on people about their race, religion, sexual preference, etc. I expect the same back. To me, that's part of the equality that everyone wants so badly. I never do it out of malice and I feel that if your feelings are hurt by a joke, you haven't truly accepted who you are. I remember when I was in 5th grade, I was one of maybe two or three white kids in my school. I remember getting in to a lot of fights and being frustrated because I was outcast. Wasn't until my father got tired of picking me up from school for fighting and telling me to just accept who I am and deal with it that things got better. Call me a snowflake, I'll answer that I'm unique amongst millions. Call me a cracker, I'll ask saltine or ritz. Call me a stupid white boy and I will tell you I accept that and say it's from setting aside my white privilege then ask what your excuse is. I don't care if you crack a joke on me for being white, Christian, being short (well, maybe I have a bit of that short man complex), or being overweight (thank God for beer, that is all). I accept who I am. I know there are things that I can change, such as my weight, that could be the center of a joke. I don't care. Because after you make your joke, I'm firing right back.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
And I find it humorous that the same posters who abhor racism, and rightfully so, will hate on Christians all over the forum, hypocrites .
edit on 103030p://bWednesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

That's a very general and demonstrably untrue statement. Not quite racist, but certainly prejudiced. I abhor racism and have no problem with any religion anyone wants to join. Please, feel free to find somewhere I hated Christians, or anyone from any religion for that matter and I'll gladly concede your point.

Until then, you're spouting nonsense that really isn't related to this thread.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Battleline

Very good, you have summed it up very well. The real hypocrisy here is the fact that everyone in the NBA have known this guy was a slum lord and racist for the past 20 years.

People will dig into this and out the NBA and its spoke's people for the real hypocrites they are, the sad thing being it may lesson that fact that this guy is a real bottom feeder.

This will not go away any time soon...which I think is the whole point as to why it came out now, it almost seems like Sterling being a liberal Democrat through himself on the preverbal sword.

Yes!!

An interesting perspective on the idea that Sterling is said to be a Democrat is that, like you said, they have known about this man's history for a LONG time. If this is the case, then he is only under attack because his sentiment was recorded.

If we are to be politically honest, the Democratic party is no stranger to racism. Slavery, the KKK, and Jim Crowe to name a few "liberal" viewpoints. We all know that the NBA is a very liberal organization. Its almost as if the NBA only attacked the guy because the general sentiment amongst many of these officials was....

caught?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Please don't miss my point...

You state that I should take issue with the music or movie industry; the point was that racist comments have ALWAYS been allowed, especially about blacks. Listen to any gangster rap song of the 90's, even of today. Count how many times you will hear how someone is ready to murder a 'n'...

You would almost think the KKK wrote these lyrics.

My point was that the Mr. Sterling's right to his free speech has now caused him permanent dissociation from his team, the NBA, and complete with a 2.5 million dollar fine. Even though its not a legal battle in the court system, the NBA is sending a very strong political message.

THOUGHT-CONTROL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join