It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Absolute proof in the bible that Jesus was against hurting others or trying to control them at ALL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Someone was saying that the laws in Leviticus must be applied and people should be stoned to death (for example adulterers), that it is ok to harm others or try to control and manipulate them in this way...

So first off all, how does one live by God's law in order to become a Children of God?

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

What is The Context? Jesus finished fasting for 40 days, and called many people including those who would be his disciples such as Peter, to follow him to The Mount so that he can preach to them through a Sermon.

Matthew 5:44-45
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

What is the context? Jesus is still on The Mount preaching to those who don't really know who he is yet, but taught 'love your enemies' and 'give to others' and summarized with those two verses.

Luke 6:35-36
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

What is the context? This is a testimony from The Gospel of Luke about Jesus's Sermon. It's the same situation just from another person's point of view and they both agree that Jesus said that being merciful by loving your enemies, doing good to those who hate you and giving without expecting anything in return is how you act as a child of God.

We are told not to judge and that in the way we judge others is how we will also be judged:

Matthew 7:1-2
Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

from The Gospel of Luke perspective it says Jesus said:

Luke 6:37
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Our job is not to 'judge' or 'condemn' anyone. Our job is forgive, love, bless, and pray for those who are against us (Matthew 5:44) not to curse by telling them to 'go to hell' or anything like that.

If other people do not want to live this way and choose not to act as a Child of God, then that is their choice. We are told to pray for those against us but only to pray in secret to The Father in Heaven (Matthew 6:6) and not to pray for the same thing over and over again because God already what a person needs before they ask of him (Matthew 6:7). If others do bad things to us then we are not to respond as the world responds but as a Child of God would respond which is forgiveness, love, and blessing.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
All you need is love!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
This all seems like it should be such common sense. I have a hard time comprehending why so many don't get it. I'm not even religious by any conventions.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It is common sense...

Most people don't actually read the gospels... every other book in the bible gets plenty of attention though sadly enough

Sigh

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
"for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. "

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

This is what I try to do. Sometimes I fail, but try again next time. I consider myself not religious, but I do think Jesus, or his stories, whatever it may be, is a great guide of morality. I also think that goodness is not bound by religion, and neither is the dark side.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
"We are told to...". That is the problem. You are relying on a scripture converted so many times the original meanings are probably misread and are willing to do anything that this book tells you to.

Open your mind and think for yourself.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Acronychal

Read Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, and find something wrong with what HE "tells" you...

edit on 30-4-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The words 'Absolute proof' and 'the bible' are an oxymoron.

The Bible is absolute proof of nothing. It has been written and re-written to meet the needs of men seeking power and wealth for themselves.

I am at a loss to understand why people do not realize this.

Acronychal has it right! Think for yourselves!

P

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

please refer to my previous reply...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
How can it be possible to pray for those that are evil if you have not judged them to be evil first ? Kind of a chicken egg thing but ..... a reply to: arpgme

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The sad thing is humanity is born in to a broken world, we are broken and will be till His return.
On the upside, love, if we all just contemplated how we can love others, accept others, forgive others, we will all step closer to what Christ implored us to do.
Recently a reply to a post I made, from an atheist made me check me and my attitude.

Its not me who makes who I am, its everyone helping each other.
We are all in this sinking ship, lets all try to be positive towards each other no matter the belief.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I can agree with what you are saying, but it also takes wisdom to put Jesus' sayings into their proper context.

Most importantly, according to Jesus, there is both a right and wrong way to live. The choosing of the wrong path is why enemies even exist at all.

To love and forgive your enemies is to pray for them and have pity in that they are following the wrong path, which will lead to their own misery. The goal for Jesus and God is to welcome all who agree with the gospel of righteousness and help them attain the fullness of it.

Loving your enemies is not a call to accept other people's wrong attitudes or behaviors. Jesus told his apostles not to associate with those that will not receive or agree with the gospel, that God would deal with them.

Matthew 10:14-15

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

Jesus was a teacher of the right way and he did not pass judgement on any person's past or social status in deciding who was worthy to be taught the knowledge of God. He was unlike the Jewish religious leaders in his day who used money and status to determine who was worthy to be taught.

Instead, Jesus taught anybody who desired and was willing to learn. This is what it means not to judge.

When the Jewish people accused him of hanging out with sinners, Jesus told them that he was only in their company for the purpose of teaching them.

Mark 2:16-17

When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

His comments about not passing judgment was specifically concerning people who were trying and willing to be taught..... despite their past sins or shortcomings.

People should not deceive themselves, the rain and sun will be the same for both good and evil people ONLY UP UNTIL the "harvest"

Matthew 13:24-30

The Parable of the Weeds

24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’

28 “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied.

“The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’

29 “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’”

edit on 30-4-2014 by Innermost because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon And don't judge before it's proper time .With a mixed bag of believers we find some that sit in authority to carry out judgement ( Courts judges ) while others are blessed with much money and are able to give much to places they would judge to be in need .We see some are better equipped and in positions to carry out the specific rolls ....peace

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I would have thought absolute proof of the existence of Jesus would have to be a requirement before his intentions toward hurting others or controling them can be surmised.

Just because the Bible says its so does not make it verbatim considering the fact that it's a book written by Man(Who according to the Bible is fallible) and has been changed to suit others agendas time and time again throughout the ages.

en.wikipedia.org... One example.
edit on 30-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Your post tells us not to judge and to show love to the evil ones. However, it does not tell us to be a doormat and keep on being the victims of the unjust and the cruel. We must discern between good and evil acts and assume responsibility for the protection of those in our care. To be loving towards someone who is abusive to children for instance is something many of us feel unable to do.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Totally agree that much of the Bible has been rewritten and corrupted to suit an agenda.

But much of its teachings are legit, and if you want to find those parts, simply compare the teachings of Jesus (an enlightened individual) with the teachings of other enlightened individuals like Buddha, Lao Tzu, and the other sages/saints.

Where you find overlap, you find truth. And in this instance, you'll find numerous quotes in Taoist/Buddhist scripture advising you to avoid judging others and to work only and always on improving yourself.

And regarding the line ""for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust," you'll find numerous Taoist/Buddhist references about heaven impartially dispensing its treasures unto all.

So whatever else the corrupt Catholic/Christian church stripped from the Bible, they overlooked quite a few gems of wisdom. These happens to be some of them.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JonButtonIII

In my opinion what the corrupt Catholic church, Popes and Emperors stripped from the Bible that's most interesting would be the chapters and/or gospels pertaining to reincarnation.

After all our Earth is more than lightly a prison planet, the rule book should contain all of the facts.

edit on 30-4-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme It sounds like describing a reflection. Almost as if he were pointing to some kind of reality where things are opposite of what we see and energies can be bounced off other people. I think of he who hates his life shall keep it and he who loves it shall lose it. Sounds like a good method to keep the wicked in their holding cells.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join