It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video surfaces of unarmed man shot in the back and killed by Long Beach Police!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'm impartial enough to call a good shoot a good shoot. No way in hell that is one. The state of policing in the US has truly fallen this far. The courts offer no justice, and more often than not fail to even prosecute with full fervor cases like this. So what peaceful recourse is there?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
maybe they should change the name to the dumb beach police departement

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

originally posted by: Rezlooper
As more and more of these videos appear, it seems that we are losing due process in this country as the police think they are judge, jury and executioner.

I remember from many "2nd amendment"-debates that you people in the US consider yourselves "more free" than we are over here, because you still have your guns, and we have been "disarmed by our masters".

But what good are all the guns in the world when you allow "your masters" to treat you like that anyways?

(Note: I'm NOT anti-guns... keep buying H&K!!)

that is the brain fart in Americans heads. The men that wrote the 2md Amendment would have started using them to defend the other rights we lost about a decade ago.

I see the 2nd amendment as almost pointless at this stage. The 2nd amendment was not so a bunch of hicks can go shooting out back for fun, it wasn't so people could go to the range and shoot paper targets, and it wasn't so people could shoot the guy breaking into their car to steal the radio.

The 2nd amendment was there to be USED against ENEMIES --- > foreign and DOMESTIC> and in the 1770's the people they were used against were the REDCOATS..

yet today, we have just about every single aspect that the founders shot redcoats being done today. AND back in the 1700's the redcoats, in all essence were POLICING the people. hmm

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nunya13
We live in a world where failure to fully and perfectly comply with a cops orders gets you a death sentence. One in which cops are fully justified at using lethal force in order to subdue a suspect no matter if they are armed, senile, mentally ill, or fully incapacitated by handcuffs or the body weight of two or three cops. And most of the country is willing to go along with it. People will come up with a plethora of scenarios that could've, might've, would've happened had the guy gotten away. Ergo, he deserves death in their eyes.

This will not change. It will only get worse.

God forbid they allow a shoplifter to get away. It's getting to the point where I don't think I would call the cops if I have a problem anymore. Ya just don't know how things will turn out. If you can, it's better to handle it on your own these days.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
That was pretty damn disturbing, I wasn't expecting that.
The crime vs the punishment, the sheer amount of shots taken.
Gobsmacked.

I know you are not supposed to run from police but DEATH should not be the answer.

Interested to see how they explain this away, Will be following.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I guess this isn't the first time this has happened in Long Beach. There were two lawsuits against the department for officer-involved shootings last year, one of them the jury gave the victim's family $6 million for wrongful death. Also, the chief of police in Long Beach has come under fire for too many officer-involved shootings and he is now running for LA County Sheriff. This was all in a story that came out from LA Weekly just a few hours ago.

Long Beach police officials said the incident is under investigation and urged the public to be patient while police investigators examine the evidence.

“This incident, like every other use of force ... undergoes that review process,” said David Hendricks, deputy chief of the department’s Investigations Bureau. “We have to remain objective.”

Hendricks said police officials have watched a YouTube video that circulated this week “multiple times.”

“We’ve slowed it down, frame-by-frame,” he said. “Police officers typically have a couple of seconds to react. They don’t have the luxury of a video.”

Sgt. Megan Zabel, a police spokeswoman, stressed the importance of remaining objective.

“The video (shows) one angle, one little piece of the puzzle,” she said. “We understand the public wants timely information. There are so many witnesses and multiple agencies involved (in the shooting).

Long Beach Police respond to officer-involved fatal shooting Sunday

Also, in the story it states that officers stationed below the stairs where he came down thought he had a weapon and that he was firing back at other officers. So, they opened fire.

Long Beach police officers were stationed on the beach to the east of a staircase leading down from the end of 14th Place, officials said in a detailed statement released Monday.

Hendricks said the officers’ view was obstructed by trees and plants. They heard the sound of the stun bags being deployed and believed that Conoscenti had engaged in gunfire with deputies.

Police said Conoscenti then allegedly reached toward his waist as he neared the bottom of the stairs and officers fired at him.

So, it appears they are sticking with the officer's account of the incident. From what I saw on the video, he was shot dead in cold blood. How is this not hitting the national news networks by now? How are there not people rioting in the streets by now? This cop "shoot first-ask questions later" BS mentality has to stop, or peeps are gonna have to start protesting it. There are other reports and threads here at ATS about individual police forces with an excessive rate of officer-involved shootings, and it would be nice to see a catalog of them all in one place, and some national attention put on these thug cops.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

“Police officers typically have a couple of seconds to react. They don’t have the luxury of a video.”

I am sorry but I get so tired of this excuse, or line of thinking I should say.
Such a blanket statement that equates to shoot now and ask questions later and as long as you say you thought your life was in danger and only had a few seconds to react then it is ok....

Yes I understand that cops are in more dangerous situations, but news flash, you knew that when you signed up for it

Your police department should have given you ample training in the ways on handling those few seconds you get without killing the person!
But any john doe on the other side of that gun as that guy is running down the stairs and he is going to jail for a very long time.

Hero's are known for sacrifice, not when you hold your life as the most important one in any given situation. You are there to protect and serve everyone, no one ever 100% guilty until they have been sentenced by a judge. The cops are there to protect that right and make sure you get that right of due process. Not kill you at the bottom of a staircase because someone said you stole something
edit on thWed, 30 Apr 2014 01:20:11 -0500America/Chicago420141180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Exactly....to everything you just said.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
These are not police officers anymore...they are little more than trained goons,...suitable for beating up protestors or mowing down the unarmed.....
There is NO honour or integrity left in the job....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Mr. and Mrs. Public, so sorry we (cops) couldn’t chase him down, you see we were at Mr Donuts all morning and well, you know, our fat little tummies were not up to run’n after this unarmed man, so it was better for us to just shot him in the back while he was going to run away on a sandy beach. So please, Mr. and Mrs. Public, we promise you, we will no longer eat donuts while on duty. Gosh, can we put the blame on the donuts, seems logical in this case.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
In another thread, I stated that cops can shoot a person in the back when they are fleeing from the scene of a suspected felony.... and get away with it.
It seems as though I was correct. I will be surprised if any are charged or convicted of a crime.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
In another thread, I stated that cops can shoot a person in the back when they are fleeing from the scene of a suspected felony.... and get away with it.
It seems as though I was correct. I will be surprised if any are charged or convicted of a crime.

I never knew how bad police officers could be. I know some can be on the "take" for additional income. But to shoot a fleeing suspect that is running on the sandy beach in the back. Yep! Just too many fk'n donuts these days.

by the way , how can I get red color like you have, looks cool

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
These are not police officers anymore...they are little more than trained goons,...suitable for beating up protestors or mowing down the unarmed.....
There is NO honour or integrity left in the job....

A friend of mine switched to law enforcement after his service... and switched to personal protection soon after, because he couldn't stand the wannabe-goon-attitude of his new "colleagues".
And that was in Germany... our situation with LEOs is nothing like the mess in the USofA.
How anyone can be a LEO in the US, given all the insane stories lately, and still take pride in his badge is beyond my comprehension.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
When Pennsylvania passed a law allowing for cops to shoot at fleeing felons years ago, we joked that it was because the donut-eaters couldn't be expected to catch the bad guys.

I call the shade cats blood red.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Anyone that shoots someone in the back is a coward and should meet his end the same way.
edit on 4/30/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Train young men to kill, send them overseas and put them through the stress of war...
Obviously they get the adrenaline rush of fighting and shooting..

Send the same young men home, give them a job with a gun and a badge..

What do you think the outcome will be..
adrenaline junkies finding anyway they can to bring back their worthiness..

Would love to see how many of these dirty cops are ex military...my guess nearly 100 percent..

And no I am not blaming the individual..I am blaming the conditions their mind has been through..big difference....

Surprised I have never seen anyone else mention this..because everyone knows it's true.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

I completely agree with most of what you said there.

Other than -

I don't care what this man's background was, no one deserves to be shot in the back.

There are people out there that certainly deserve at least that. I would never shoot anyone, I don't even own a gun, but there are people out there that if they got shot in the back I wouldn't be too unhappy about. Heck, we voted for many of them.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

The penalty for murder or attempted murder under the color of authority should be public stoning.
I will be at that party and I will sleep well.

Look away 100 times... the evil will return 101 times.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: musicismagic
When Pennsylvania passed a law allowing for cops to shoot at fleeing felons years ago, we joked that it was because the donut-eaters couldn't be expected to catch the bad guys.

I call the shade cats blood red.

I can't believe they would even pass a law allowing them to shoot anyone in the back. In my state, WI, a DUI could be a felony, and most folks who get DUI's sure aren't criminals, although, if you're running from the law I guess you could qualify as a criminal. I still don't think any circumstance can justify shooting someone who is simply fleeing from them.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

How can this not be national news? Because authorities, even managers for celebrities call the news agencies and ask them not to report it. News agencies talk to each other, or are owned by each other and so its the whole affiliate that doesn't air the story.

Sounds crazy but I'd say 80% of the time the news agencies, especially if it's fr someone powerful will sit on the story if asked to. Heck even celebrities if they are powerful enough have this luxury.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join