It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornadoes Take Aim at South Again as Storm System Won't Quit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Mother Nature is giving us humans a spanking. These Xtreme Weather events are becoming more and more commonplace. I know that some will say that this has happened before or this is just a natural cycle, but I think we should look for any ways that we can stop this or at least slow it down. I don't know what the answer could be but I do know that debating this issue while things are getting worse is no the answer.

In all, The Weather Channel reported, 75 million people were at risk for severe weather — as far south as Florida and as far north as Michigan. Flooding, hail and high winds were among the dangers

On Monday, the system produced more than 50 reported tornadoes. Fifteen people were killed, including 11 in Mississippi, where a county coroner said that he expected the death toll to climb. The mayor of Tupelo called it a “miracle of God” that only one person died there. The day before, storms lashed the central states, leaving 15 people dead in Arkansas. The overall toll climbed by seven Tuesday, to 34. The victims include an Iraq war veteran, two brothers aged 8 and 7, and a swimmer from the University of Alabama who set state records in high school.

What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think it is too late. All we can do now is adapt.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
We got four inches of wet heavy snow today. It sucks. What a year we had around here. Well, at least it is better than having tornadoes blow your home apart.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I think it is too late. All we can do now is adapt.

I fear that you may be correct.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure we can call Tornadoes in at the start of tornado season "extreme weather events". Just my opinion, but this is not out of the ordinary. 20+ years ago we had winters just like the one we just went through all the time and this spring will be no different. Its called spring, warm moisture coming up from the south meets the cold air mass trying to retreat north and boom, tornadoes lol, its called weather and it happens every spring. I'm gonna get flamed and i don't much give 2 sh*ts lol. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This thread has the potential to be hi-jacked by global warming fanatics, so I'll add this bit of information first.

Slowest start to tornado season on record

Just because it's the slowest season on record doesn't mean there won't be tornadoes, but so far it's been mild. It has been reasonably cool in my part of Florida as of late, but we're starting to see a warming trend.. and with that warming trend comes the rain.. sometimes really bad rain. Most of the hard hit areas experience this type of rainfall and squalls normally.

I'm no meteorologist, but these are typical for this time of the season in the south. I can't speak for massive droughts in California, but I do believe that the weather is always random and cannot be accurately predicted with limited data.
edit on 4/29/2014 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I don't believe it's a case of the weather getting more extreme, but rather, it is a combination of a higher population in tornado-prone areas combined with more immediate coverage and knowledge via television and the internet.

Spring and fall are tornado seasons in Canada and the US, caused by the clash of cold fronts, a dry line, and a warm area with plenty of moisture to feed the storm (called the "triple point"). Too many people are setting up mobile homes in these areas, sitting on cinder blocks, so it is not surprising that there are more deaths and more damage.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland
I'm not sure we can call Tornadoes in at the start of tornado season "extreme weather events". Just my opinion, but this is not out of the ordinary. 20+ years ago we had winters just like the one we just went through all the time and this spring will be no different. Its called spring, warm moisture coming up from the south meets the cold air mass trying to retreat north and boom, tornadoes lol, its called weather and it happens every spring. I'm gonna get flamed and i don't much give 2 sh*ts lol. Just my opinion.

I don't doubt that this happens every year during "tornado season." My concern is the strength and the frequency of these storms. I don't have the figures to show you but I'm pretty sure that over the last few years records for powerful storms keep breaking. There are changes in the Jet-Stream and this is causing all kinds of problems with the weather. Volcanoes erupting, Flooding, Xtreme Hurricanes in Hurricane season, Xtreme Tornadoes in Tornado season, Xtreme Wildfires in Wildfire season, Xtreme Earthquakes, and any other Xtreme event you want to list. How do we fix it?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FissionSurplus
I don't believe it's a case of the weather getting more extreme, but rather, it is a combination of a higher population in tornado-prone areas combined with more immediate coverage and knowledge via television and the internet.

Spring and fall are tornado seasons in Canada and the US, caused by the clash of cold fronts, a dry line, and a warm area with plenty of moisture to feed the storm (called the "triple point"). Too many people are setting up mobile homes in these areas, sitting on cinder blocks, so it is not surprising that there are more deaths and more damage.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and their viewpoint. I'm just sharing the news. I do however, think that we should take note so that our guards aren't down when the time comes.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
We should slow down the processes? Stop the hurricane season every year, the monsoon season and tornado seasons? And the flood cycles too? You are arguing with nature. These are cyclical...no matter how you think you see it.

The same folks this year...right now...who were affected by this weeks weather? They have to get ready when they rebuild...to go thru this weather cycle...good or bad...AGAIN next year. And the year after that...and the year after that....

I dont vaction in Florida too much during hurricane season....not becasue I expect hurricanes...but because its season events of stormy weather being more likely during those times.

And last year after the terrible tornados in Oklahoma destroyed many things? They are trying to rebuild down there from that...still. While this years storms this week...have hit again. And they will hit next year etc...

See my point? This are dynamic earth processes. Not really somethng man can do anything about. They come and go...and will continue. Man needs to adapt to the yearly seasons....not try and get the seasons to cooperate!

I knew someone rebuilding after a tornado...and the next year...they covered up the incompleted roofing that was almost done because of a wind storm...and it took 1/2 the home they were rebuilding away.

They had never moved back in from the 1st years damage. They moved far away after that. And here in Michigan, some friends along the Huron river were flooded during rains like evey year and they had a terrible sleanup and lost a lot of personal stuff (again). Asked them why they even MOVED there in that flood plain? They said "because its so PRETTY here!"...but next year...they will go through the devastion again....

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
We should slow down the processes? Stop the hurricane season every year, the monsoon season and tornado seasons? And the flood cycles too? You are arguing with nature. These are cyclical...no matter how you think you see it.

The same folks this year...right now...who were affected by this weeks weather? They have to get ready when they rebuild...to go thru this weather cycle...good or bad...AGAIN next year. And the year after that...and the year after that....

I dont vaction in Florida too much during hurricane season....not becasue I expect hurricanes...but because its season events of stormy weather being more likely during those times.

And last year after the terrible tornados in Oklahoma destroyed many things? They are trying to rebuild down there from that...still. While this years storms this week...have hit again. And they will hit next year etc...

See my point? This are dynamic earth processes. Not really somethng man can do anything about. They come and go...and will continue. Man needs to adapt to the yearly seasons....not try and get the seasons to cooperate!

I knew someone rebuilding after a tornado...and the next year...they covered up the incompleted roofing that was almost done because of a wind storm...and it took 1/2 the home they were rebuilding away.

They had never moved back in from the 1st years damage. They moved far away after that. And here in Michigan, some friends along the Huron river were flooded during rains like evey year and they had a terrible sleanup and lost a lot of personal stuff (again). Asked them why they even MOVED there in that flood plain? They said "because its so PRETTY here!"...but next year...they will go through the devastion again....

My issue is that we don't know how much of this is caused by man and how much is Mother Nature's natural cycles. There's nothing we can do about Nature; I agree with you there. However we can do something about Man's contribution to this situation. The jury is still out as far as Man's part however.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You are correct. The only thing we can do is to change how man and all of industry etc effects the weather long term. Those effects are so far gone right now, its not questionable that we can reverse some of it...but how long that may take..and what can we do while waiting for that to happen.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: roaland

I don't doubt that this happens every year during "tornado season." My concern is the strength and the frequency of these storms. I don't have the figures to show you but I'm pretty sure that over the last few years records for powerful storms keep breaking. There are changes in the Jet-Stream and this is causing all kinds of problems with the weather. Volcanoes erupting, Flooding, Xtreme Hurricanes in Hurricane season, Xtreme Tornadoes in Tornado season, Xtreme Wildfires in Wildfire season, Xtreme Earthquakes, and any other Xtreme event you want to list. How do we fix it?

When you start seeing a hell of a lot more EF4-5 tornadoes on the ground at one time then we can talk about the strength of these suckers. A tornado is a dangerous beast no matter how strong it is, but again, its tornado season and until i start seeing a bunch of EF4-5 tornadoes on a regular basis in places that usually don't see that many of these monsters, I still say no need to worry about it. Its normal for this time of year. I don't even know why i bother trying to explain this, it doesn't do any good....

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
We just had a Front move through here in Crete, IL. Temps dropped several degrees and the Storm brought heavy rain, small hail, and winds that were about 30 MPH. It only lasted a few minutes, then moved off. Another rain front came through a little while ago with more heavy rain and cold temps.
No Tornadoes in my area at least this time. Last summer one came about 7 miles from us and did some damage where it hit. At least no Lives were lost.
I don't think these storms are actually out of the ordinary though. Seems like they come in waves of either mild, or heavy each year. However the Heavy Storms DO seem to be more aggressive than they were in the past. More extreme as far as winds and rain downpour.... Later, Syx.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

And the deniers are always there too. I guess time will tell. But by then the Oligarchy will have prepared and then there will be the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: eXia7

And the deniers are always there too. I guess time will tell. But by then the Oligarchy will have prepared and then there will be the rest of us.

I never claim to deny that humans may play an impact on global weather patterns, but I don't use it as the go-to theory every time a storm hits.

But you are right, there are hardcore fanatics on both sides.
edit on 4/29/2014 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

When you start seeing a hell of a lot more EF4-5 tornadoes on the ground at one time then we can talk about the strength of these suckers. A tornado is a dangerous beast no matter how strong it is, but again, its tornado season and until i start seeing a bunch of EF4-5 tornadoes on a regular basis in places that usually don't see that many of these monsters, I still say no need to worry about it. Its normal for this time of year. I don't even know why i bother trying to explain this, it doesn't do any good....

Ok. I stand corrected. 2011 is the year with the most EF5 tornadoes at 9 however, 1953 had 7.
en.wikipedia.org...

I still believe that we shouldn't let our guard(s) down.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Climate change is real, the causes debatable, and perhaps the true cause still unknown.

I believe that violent weather and extreme weather is going to intensify in numbers and severity over the next few years culminating in a climate shift.

Imagine the impact on the world as we know it if the northern hemisphere is hit by a mini-ice age. No crops grow, transportation nearly impossible, energy demand unsustainable... Millions left starving in a bitter cold climate...

Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong... If not the worst is yet to come...
edit on 29-4-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Climate change is real, the causes debatable, and perhaps the true cause still unknown.

I believe that violent weather and extreme weather is going to intensify in numbers and severity over the next few years culminating in a climate shift.

Imagine the impact on the world as we know it if the northern hemisphere is hit by a mini-ice age. No crops grow, transportation nearly impossible, energy demand unsustainable... Millions left starving in a bitter cold climate...

Just a hunch, hope I'm wrong... If not the worst is yet to come...

I also hope you're wrong...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: roaland
ITA. Forty years ago, killer tornadoes ripped across the country. Year after year, parts of the US are battered, and the storms are so destructive, it's hard to imagine how they could be worse.
I hope everyone was, and continues to be, safe.

new topics

top topics

join