It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Byron Smith gets life sentence for murdering Little Falls teens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
a reply to: LadyJae

...He's a bit elderly too so I suppose it won't be a long issue either way.

Did I mention I really dislike what this guy did? lol...

Why, Wrabbit, I would never have guessed...lol

Yes, his age is definitely a factor in how long he'll live in prison. I don't expect that will be long at all.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: LadyJae

originally posted by: buni11687

If he would have just shot the intruders and called the cops, it would be a different story.

You're right, buni. It was the way he handled the aftermath that sealed his fate.

J

That and the audio tape. Him telling the kid your dying then shooting the kid was a execution style shooting.

Ironically, his own surveillance system that he installed for protection, was his own downfall
That audio was damning
And then wait a day to call 911

I was for him at first until more about the audio came out
It just wasn't right what he did to the girl IMO

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
originally posted by: snarky412

Ironically, his own surveillance system that he installed for protection, was his own downfall
That audio was damning
And then wait a day to call 911

I was for him at first until more about the audio came out
It just wasn't right what he did to the girl IMO

When I first read the audio transcript, I couldn't make up my mind if he was rambling, in shock, or rehearsing what to say. I began by thinking he was in shock and simply thinking out loud because I knew that I would be. But the more I read that transcript, the more "rehearsed" the whole thing sounded. Did that make sense to you? I'm terrible at putting my thoughts into script.

I believe I read that he waited to call 911 because he, himself, had no phone and thought one of his neighbors would come to look for his daughter (whom Mr. Smith originally thought was who he shot). That certainly didn't match what he told the Sheriff(?) when they interviewed him the next day.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I agree, it was all a bit confusing but the more was played, the more I was starting to doubt him

They all said that the houses had been burglarized several times and the teenage couple were guilty of several B&E
So as far as home protection goes, I have no problem with guns one bit

It was his actions, or lack of actions plus what he had said to the girl...once she was shot, she was no longer a threat to him so there was no need for him to 'finish her off'
That was probably where the jury had a hard time accepting his actions...he had gone too far IMO

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That was probably where the jury had a hard time accepting his actions...he had gone too far IMO

The jury likely received instruction from the judge that if they determined it was premeditated (and they would be told what determines that) then it is murder.

I was taught (by an Oklahoma lawyer) that if I am defending myself in my home I am to:
- shoot to kill
- completely discharge gun into chest of intruder(s)
- do not reload and shoot some more if they are dead/immobile (as this means I have time to leave but choose to stay)
- must tell police I was in fear for my life and that I think they had a weapon (as defending property is not worth a human life to the courts)

EDIT: That said I have never had to and hopefully never will have to defend myself with deadly force. It would be terribly bad for my psyche to kill another human.

edit on 29-4-2014 by Elton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
originally posted by: Elton

EDIT: That said I have never had to and hopefully never will have to defend myself with deadly force. It would be terribly bad for my psyche to kill another human.

For mine also, Elton.

But I will do what I have to do..without hesitation. I am a peace-lover at heart, but there are times when even a peaceful soul must use force. I hope those times never come for me.

J

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Oh I have no problem with home protection and I'm all for SYG

But it sounds like the video/audio that they collected from his home backfired on him and was what got him in the end

And I too hope you are never put in that position....but when it comes to protecting yourself and family, a man must do what he ever can to protect what is his

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
i can only say GOOD!

when he put them down, he should have went and called the cops.

if they bled out, he would have been legally ok.

COD was the coup de grace which was not his call.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

but when it comes to protecting yourself and family, a man must do what he ever can to protect what is his

as must a woman...lol

J

(totally off-topic but this little demon is making it almost impossible for me to go from page to page and/or post)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
double post
edit on 4/29/2014 by LadyJae because: (no reason given)

link   
triple post

link   

edit on 4/29/2014 by LadyJae because: multiple post

link   
repeating myself

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

but when it comes to protecting yourself and family, a man must do what he ever can to protect what is his

as must a woman...lol

Oh yes...Us Ladies as well

(totally off-topic but this little demon is making it almost impossible for me to go from page to page and/or post)

Is it a browser problem??

edit on 29-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The jury likely received instruction from the judge that if they determined it was premeditated (and they would be told what determines that) then it is murder.

I was taught (by an Oklahoma lawyer) that if I am defending myself in my home I am to:
- shoot to kill
- do not reload and shoot some more if they are dead/immobile (as this means I have time to leave but choose to stay)
- must tell police I was in fear for my life and that I think they had a weapon (as defending property is not worth a human life to the courts)

I have never had to make this decision, and I hope I never will, but the advice given to you by an OK lawyer, was the same as given to me by a MO one.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Byron was always off. This does not surpise me. I would not hesitate to incapacitate an intruder in my home, personally. I have a family and children to defend, regardless of the any stated law, it is my instinct as a father to defend and if needed, kill. Where the line was drawn though was Byron moved his car to appear vacant, sat in waiting (who knows for how long), and did not even yell upstairs when the glass broke to scare the intruders away. He had the upper hand the entire time and did not need to go as far. Fear does make us crazy at times but I am not sure human life ever meant anything to Byron as he was a man who did not abide by too many rules at the DoS but ensured the employess and contractors did. He was hypocritical and honestly glad one more corrupt, above the law "official" is where he belongs.

Edit: He also could have told them to stop and called the police and held them at gunpoint... so many smarter and humane ways to deal with it. Had they atarted to draw a weapon on him, then yes, by all means shoot... defend yourself. On the other hand, I don't know how I'd react given the situation.
edit on 29-4-2014 by strangerthan because: additional thought

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
There are many ways to defends one's self, personally, large dogs, firearms, and several years of karate. This man was hardcore guilty of which he was charged, I am happy to see he was found guilty.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

- shoot to kill

I have never had to make this decision, and I hope I never will, but the advice given to you by an OK lawyer, was the same as given to me by a MO one.

And the same advice I received when getting my CCW.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

This is the verdict that I expected, it really seemed premeditated.

What? The verdict?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Hopefully other predators out there will take the lesson that the prey are changing the rules. It's not just alarms and warnings anymore. People are getting tired of being jacked up in their homes and tired of being robbed. The one family member of the "kids" said they just took things. That's incorrect. They took property as well as security. No guarantees that they will always be "unarmed". Criminals need to face the fact that they invite death every time they violate someone's home or personal space with bad intent. He went too far, I do feel that. But when someone has had enough, there's no way to predict what they might do. Criminals' families need to realize it too. The same person who is a beloved part of their life is a nightmare to those they prey upon.
This could have gone a thousand ways, one of which could have ended with two people having a life ahead of them if they hadn't put themselves in harm's way by being where they had no right or business being.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join