It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clippers Owner Banned for Life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
all you guys have to cling to on this is the NAACP. But it still has nothing to do with this.

You keep saying he had a nasty history of racism and/or bigoted behavior. If that's true, then the NAACP wouldn't be giving him a lifetime achievement award and Al Sharpton wouldn't be sitting on the stage next to him. You accuse those with a different opinion of 'clinging' to this information ... but the truth is you are ignoring it and so don't have a full picture. YES he had alleged bad behavior previously. But he also had these organizations saying he was a great person for their cause. It's a contradiction that can't be ignored.

If someone consents do being recorded, its hardly a private conversation anymore.

That's not necessarily true.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
but the NAACP didn't have a problem with him

I bet they do, now... They didn't know how he really felt. Now, they do.

NAACP Denounces Sterling

The NAACP has decided against honoring Donald Sterling with a lifetime achievement award from its Los Angeles chapter after the Clippers owner allegedly made racist comments in a recorded conversation.

Donations made by Sterling, who has owned the team since 1981, will be returned, Leon Jenkins, president of the Los Angeles NAACP, said at a news conference Monday. Jenkins would not say how much money was involved.

"There is a personal, economic and social price that Mr. Sterling must pay for his attempt to turn back the clock on race relations," he said.

edit on 4/29/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What makes you think that he knows multiple people will hear the recordings
Well, theres him, the mistress, his archivist...thats at least 3 that he knew of.

What makes you think that he assumed they'd be made public?
I dont recall saying I thought he did.

He was having a private conversation between himself and fluffi-bunny. She was clearly egging him on in the conversation. He clearly wasn't bright enough to see what she was doing. And it was ignorant of him to agree to be recorded (assuming that he did agree to it). His bigotry came shining through .. exactly as she was trying to get at. I'm more than sure she was seeing $$$ signs dancing in front of her as he was spewing.
100+ hours of unreleased recordings. 100+ hours.

Stupid rich bigotted old man. Scummy but smart fluffy-bunni mistress.
This I agree with. Theyre both scummy.

link   

a reply to: raedar

Naw, I dont need to chill out. Im quite calm. Thanks though.

Define private recordings? If he is consenting to be recorded, and knows that multiple peple will hear said recordings, do they count as private?

In your own words:

"Umm, no, because HE WAS RECORDING IT TOO. He records most of his conversations. Thats why there is still 100+ hours of recordings that he is fighting to keep from going public."

You know what, I would argue that it has been proven his statements were racist. He did not use any racial slurs, he said for his girlfriend, or whatever she is, to not to show up with black players. Isn't it possible he was being jealous? Lots of folks are jealous of NBA stars. Not that facts matter here at all, this entire thing was based upon entrapment and assumption, most likely because they wanted him out and already had a buyer. Where was the (AHEM) investigation?

Just my "assumption" based on this BS perpetuated by one of the lowest gossip rags in the USA.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: KawRider9

He knew he was being recorded.......

And you know this how? I'll believe he consented to being recorded when he or his lawyer says it or his live in prostitute produces a recording of him giving her permission.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You keep saying he had a nasty history of racism and/or bigoted behavior. If that's true, then the NAACP wouldn't be giving him a lifetime achievement award and Al Sharpton wouldn't be sitting on the stage next to him. You accuse those with a different opinion of 'clinging' to this information ... but the truth is you are ignoring it and so don't have a full picture. YES he had alleged bad behavior previously. But he also had these organizations saying he was a great person for their cause. It's a contradiction that can't be ignored.

bleacherreport.com...
www.slate.com...
www.msnbc.com...

I dont keep saying it. It is a FACT. Truth is, I cant speak for what the NAACP is or was thinking. And I couldnt care less, when it comes to this topic, as it has nothing to do with it.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: KawRider9

He knew he was being recorded.......

And you know this how? I'll believe he consented to being recorded when he or his lawyer says it or his live in prostitute produces a recording of him giving her permission.
Well, mostly because he openly admits it.

But hey, why let facts get in the way?
edit on 29-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Um the fact that it hasn't come out yet that it was illegally done speaks volume to me. Seems to be common knowledge that he had all his conversations recorded as he forgot easily.
I think that was part of the investigation before the NBA dealt out the worst penalty in history of the NBA. Just a thought tho.
Care to prove it was done without his permission?

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I bet they do, now... They didn't know how he really felt. Now, they do.

Obviously they do now. But from what captainyinknots is saying, this guy had a big history of racial problems. What I'm saying is that if it was so well known and so obvious, then WHY did the NAACP have him scheduled for a lifetime achievement award this weekend ... and why was Al Sharpton going? If it was so bad ... then this wouldn't be happening.

And no one say that the NAACP didn't know about the alleged behavior.
They would investigate carefully before giving someone a 'lifetime achievement award'.

Something is off. I don't know which way it's off .... but these things contradict each other.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

ACLU will not want to touch this, partially because there is a racial component expressed by who would be considered the complainant he will need to clarify what the heck he was talking about first, and also he is an owner of a publicly traded organization and subject to those rule, just like if your HR department at your company decides to can you for breaking any of it's EEOC or other ethical rules, they are within their limits to do so.

He obviously showed his negative bias towards the class of people who helped him gain much of his assets, so I think he will not want this dragged out in this manner because his true feelings came out and he might have more skeletons possibly falling out of the closet in the process , it would be just as easy for his players to complain to the ACLU, how do you like that?
This is not a free speech issue.
edit on 29-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I predict this will give many others ideas about how to take over companies and business'. Expose private conversations and then scream about how evil they are and how the person has 'got to go'. Evil or not ... (and the statements in question are absolutely not good ones) ... people have a should have a right to express themselves in a private conversation about controversial issues - even if their opinions are very very sucky.

If someone is part of a private organization, and that someone says or does something that is against the rules or ideology of that private organization, it doesn't matter if it was private or not - if it gets out into the public, then the organization has every right to kick the person out. Period.

Another example would be the Boy Scouts not allowing gay leaders. If a person joins the Boy Scouts of America as a troop leader pretending to be straight, but has their partner/lover over for a private rendezvous at their home - if someone takes a picture of them together, and releases the picture to the public - then the Boy Scouts have the right to kick the person out. Period.

Side note - Lesson for the guys .... the fluffy-bunni much younger trophy mistress's aren't the best idea.

On that, we totally agree.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Yes, I said that he has been accused of racist behavior prior to this.
But the fact that the NAACP dismissed those reports DOES factor in.
Therefore, the statement that there is a defined history of racism .... that's questionable.

I'm saying that things don't add up.

Then there is this thought ...
Would the NAACP ignore credible accounts of racism and give someone that award? I don't know. Maybe they would. And that would be a conspiracy thread all its' own. Would they ignore the accounts in order to keep his donation money coming in? He was donating to the NAACP. Would they ignore his alleged bad behaviors in order to keep the $$$ flowing in? That's a good question for this conspiracy forum.
edit on 4/29/2014 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
That's a really good point. I'll have to give that some thought.

ETA ... I should say that I still think this will inspire 'copycat' situations ... private conversations coming out and business takovers attempted .... that kind of thing.
edit on 4/29/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
This is outrageous. The NBA is an American association and while no one agrees with what the Clipper's owner said, they should respect his 1st Amendment Rights. Let the fans boycott the team or his players walk out. This ban is nothing but a PR move the NBA pulled to satisfy their fans.

I think this is a case where the media took a minor story, ran with it because it brings out the race emotion card. I feel like if a black NBA team older told his mistress that she can't bring white guys to the game this would never even made the news.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

How does what the NAACP does or doesnt do factor in to this issue, which is squarely on the shoulders of the NBA and no one else? Its an entirely different topic whatsoever.

Again, I cant speak for the NAACP. I struggle to find logic in a lot of what they do. As I know you do to, which is why i question the motive of continually dragging it into THIS conversation, where it has no place.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
This is outrageous. The NBA is an American association and while no one agrees with what the Clipper's owner said, they should respect his 1st Amendment Rights. Let the fans boycott the team or his players walk out. This ban is nothing but a PR move the NBA pulled to satisfy their fans.

I think this is a case where the media took a minor story, ran with it because it brings out the race emotion card. I feel like if a black NBA team older told his mistress that she can't bring white guys to the game this would never even made the news.
Has nothing to do with the fans. It has to do with the players, who were threatening to boycott.

No matter how many times it gets parroted, this has nothing to do with the first amendment. He is not under arrest. He is still free to be as racist as he wants.

This is simply the NBA saying you will not represent us in this way.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Again, ATS suprises me with it's stupidity. Free Market freedom of contract rules apply in a situation where the market and its actors decide not to accept racism, and all of a sudden it's Obama/UN/NWO/Conspiracy/Reptiles/ButtmunchersfromplanetUranus

I don't even know if you all understand the "values" that you believe in. In the free market, people have a freedom of contract. Those K's are, you guessed it, binding and enforceable in a court of law by either restitution damages, expectation damages, rescission, and or specific performance.

But no, let's get down to ATS's damned problem:

Upset because an old white man doesn't have the right to be racist anymore in his own damn country. Just admit it, that's what it is. Because, I'll tell you, I'll be less disappointed in you all if that's the case and not a full blown epidemic of "I'm so stupid I don't even understand my own free market values." I'll even accept this as a unified trolling effort by the best trolls on the internet, because you got me. You got me. I'm actually upset at the feigned ignorance of self purported philosophical underpinnings held by a lot of members here.

So, if you're trolling. Bravo. You got me a bit frowny.

If you're just upset that people can't be racist anymore under the guise of "muh freeeeedom of speeeeech". Tough #, but I'll still respect you for being honest. Honesty on the internet is hard thing to come by. It takes accountability and integrity levels beyond the average, timid person.

If you're serious, well, I don't know what to say. You make a mockery of yourself and anyone who ever wore the title conservative to any dance. Just...just...just

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

How does what the NAACP does or doesnt do factor in to this issue,

Because the NAACP actions directly contradict the information that you put forward about his alleged past racial behavior. If you want to stick to just what this situation with the NBA is .... then you can't bring in that alleged past behavior either. The actions on this are the result of just this private bigoted conversation going public ... NOT anything about alleged past behavior.

Either his alleged past racist behavior AND the NAACP award are brought into the conversation .... or neither. It's same/same. Neither has to do with the actions of the NBA banning.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

How does what the NAACP does or doesnt do factor in to this issue,

Because the NAACP actions directly contradict the information that you put forward about his alleged past racial behavior. If you want to stick to just what this situation with the NBA is .... then you can't bring in that alleged past behavior either. The actions on this are the result of just this private bigoted conversation going public ... NOT anything about alleged past behavior.

Either his alleged past racist behavior AND the NAACP award are brought into the conversation .... or neither. It's same/same. Neither has to do with the actions of the NBA banning.

The racist things in his past arent "alleged". They are fact. Admitted to and paid for.

Thus, your issue is solely with the NAACP, which, again, has nothing to do with this topic.

Perhaps you ought to start a thread on that topic. You seem to be dying to talk about it. Unfortunately, it is still irrelevant here.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod
Boycott a boss who doesn't want to really be closely associated with blacks ? but making millions of dollars off of them and their fans who probably if they found out he thought that way would have quit and bankrupted his operations anyhow and caused great harm to the NBA brand and their fanbase, come on , you need to think a little about what you are saying because it makes no sense.

This was not a minor story, the implications are very serious.

There is no room for closet or two-faced racists in America in power positions, it's just bad for everyone on both sides, especially the kids.

edit on 29-4-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join