It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clippers Owner Banned for Life

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I agree with the lifetime ban for Sterling, there's no place for that in today's society.

My beef comes where the NBA continues to let criminals be involved in the league. Why is Jason Kidd still coaching, for example? He's been arrested multiple times, including for assault and domestic abuse. Guess how long he got suspended for his latest arrest (DWI)?

Jason Kidd put peoples lives in danger and gets a 2 game suspension. Where's the outrage that guys like this are still involved in the NBA? I guess the message is it's OK to beat your wife and drive drunk so long as you don't make any racist remarks along the way.

The reality is Jason Kidd is still involved because he didn't cost the NBA any money, whereas this Sterling thing would have. This comes down to, once again, money.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SM2

Allright then. Should we then demand they force the racist Jay-Z sell the Nets? He is a confirmed black supremacist.
He offends me . He is even out in public flaunting jewelry from a hate group. A lot of his "songs" if they can really be called that are racist in nature.

How is that any different? Oh, right he is black, therefore he can not be racist right?

You can't get rich famoous black person as a racist on national television, its better to sprinkles some crack and say he is evading tax, you would see a better outcome.

Why? Jay-Z, unlike average working black people, flaunt like he is oppressed while raking in money.

The racist comments is only offensive when it comes from people that claim superior, Jay-Z on the other hand acts like he is part of the oppressed minority, where as he isn't, so he can get away from it.

Its the image you push.

He can get away as in "people let him slide". You have to take it up with the people(his fans, audience and others influential).

Racism lives or dies is on the people's hand.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish
I agree with the lifetime ban for Sterling, there's no place for that in today's society.

My beef comes where the NBA continues to let criminals be involved in the league. Why is Jason Kidd still coaching, for example? He's been arrested multiple times, including for assault and domestic abuse. Guess how long he got suspended for his latest arrest (DWI)?

Jason Kidd put peoples lives in danger and gets a 2 game suspension. Where's the outrage that guys like this are still involved in the NBA? I guess the message is it's OK to beat your wife and drive drunk so long as you don't make any racist remarks along the way.

The reality is Jason Kidd is still involved because he didn't cost the NBA any money, whereas this Sterling thing would have. This comes down to, once again, money.

See, this is that scary slippery slope that the thought police have created.

More and more, people have become compliant with the dismantling of basic Civil Liberties. Where is your concern, if I may ask, for Mr. Sterlings basic right to speak as he choses?

Further, his comment was not even made publically, so I am more and more confused as to why Mr. Silver of the NBA banned him for making "offensive" comments? Who were the comments offensive to? He made the comments to the trampy mistress, who obviously is not all that offended.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: QueenofSpades

You have always been able to fire some one over comments they make. Freedom of speech is freedom from gov. Prosecution. Not freedom from free market consequences.

Ps. The comments were offensive to the entire team he owns..... The league he belongs to and anyone not a conservative.

edit on 30-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
"Scorpions Drummer Jailed For 'Insulting Islam'

"The drummer with German rock band Scorpions has been sentenced to a month in jail in Dubai after being arrested for "insulting" Islam and offensive behaviour."

news.sky.com...

at least he's not going too jail,,,

soon, though,,,soon,,,

bwahaaha,,,

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: QueenofSpades

It's not thought police. If this was just a thought it would have never come out of his mouth. And you really can't see who would be offended by this? If that's true you're just being willfully ignorant.

I don't see why they should ever allow this man back in an NBA event. The NBA is largely made of players that he spoke in an improper manner about. I would say that for his safety even, he shouldn't be allowed back at an NBA event.

As far as being forced to sell his team, if that comes to pass, that I don't agree with. But I fully agree with him being banned from NBA events.

You can have whatever thoughts you like, no one can do anything about that. As soon as they come out of your mouth they're not just thoughts anymore, whether he thought it was private or not. Just because he thought his racism was going to be private does not make it OK.

What about the actual point of my post though, about criminals involved in the NBA? There's nobody who likes what Sterling said, unless you're racist yourself, but like it or not he didn't commit any crimes. However, there are people who have been convicted of violent crimes still actively involved with the NBA. Why?

You're welcome to be a criminal, you just can't be racist while you're doing it. The bottom line is this isn't about racism, it's about the bottom line, which is money. As long as Sterling wasn't costing the NBA any money from his actions he was fine. The stuff he went through in court before as far as discrimination was at least as bad as this round of what he said (which, let's be real, didn't affect anyone other than hurt some feelings), yet he was fine before. Why?

Because people didn't put up a stink about him before this and therefore were not talking about boycotting games and costing the NBA any money.

My point is, I think we the people should be just as outraged (if not more so) at a player who beats his wife than just some words that didn't really hurt anyone (other than their feelings). He clearly wasn't stopping anyone from any color from buying tickets to the games. He clearly wasn't discriminating as far as the color of players on his teams or front office. The coach is black, he's hired a black GM in the past, etc.

Yet people get more outraged over having their feelings hurt than another player beating his wife. Do you know how long Jason Kidd was suspended after his guilty plea for domestic violence? Zero games. He didn't get suspended for a single game. He did miss a game, but not due to suspension or anything imposed by the NBA.

There are other criminals that continued to play in the NBA after their crimes as well. DeShawn Stevenson was convicted of statutory rape with a 14-year-old when he was 20. He played for the Utah Jazz at the time. How long do you think he was suspended? You guessed it, zero games.

People get outraged over the wrong things.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Ps. The comments were offensive to the entire team he owns..... The league he belongs to and anyone not a conservative.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I think most thinking people abhor discrimination, racism, bigotry, prejudice, unfair labeling and the general misrepresenting of a group. Thanks for a perfect example.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The NBA deals with issues that are related to the NBA, they are not the police department or district attorney's office.

What Donald Sterling did, was he uttered racist remarks which obviously violated the ethics portion of his contract when he bought the team, that's why he is being banned from the NBA and is being fined 2.5 million, as well as being forced to sell the team.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Come on now, dont be like those people that say "all progressives" "All liberals" "All democrats".... take the higher path.

Cant blame all the conservatives when most of them are just the same as average liberal. I seen better relationship between black man and white man in red states then some blue states. May not be the norm but it is not unlikely.

The extremist will show themselves. Just be patient.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Not saying all conservatives are racist, but all white racists are conservative.

I'm sure black racists vote democrat. Not saying there the only racists. ...

Just that if some one is defending a white guys right to be racist. You can bet money he's a conservative.

Any liberals think what this guy said was cool and he shouldn't have had to face the consequences?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Please ! Please! show me one liberal who doesn't think his comments were offensive.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Boot Sterling? NBA Team Owners May Be Concerned About Skeletons In Their Closet

detroit.cbslocal.com...

If only they would post the dirt on our politicians with equal fervor.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Boot Sterling? NBA Team Owners May Be Concerned About Skeletons In Their Closet

detroit.cbslocal.com...

If only they would post the dirt on our politicians with equal fervor.

Interesting, the owners probably voted unanimously to get rid of him so they can keep their skeletons in the closet without getting hit.

If its goes into full investigation, too many nasties will come out.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

There must be plenty beans to spill, I wish it would all come out.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Ditto, but don't know if the NBA would want multiple owners having scandals all at once... Bad for PR.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
What I don't understand is how this "private" business called the NBA can ban him for life AND fine him 2.5 million. Why would he be forced to pay them a fine if he is essentially fired? I'm fine with the ban; I get that. But the monetary fine makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

He still owns the team and will continue to own the team until the owners take a vote on whether to boot him out. He's still making money off the team whether he's allowed to show up at the arena or not.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I think it's actually money that comes from the teams profits not from his personal bank account. Maybe it comes from his annual salary from the team, but he won't be writing a check for it.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
People often talk about how private business should be able to run itself as it wants and now a business is doing that. It is working under the contract of that business. A person should not buy if he cannot agree to the rules and the power given to those in charge.

12 million now worth nearly a billion, not exactly a loss.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Coming from a league that suspended one of its very best players for a period of only two years (covering it up under the guise of retirement) for gambling on basketball games and, as a result, members of his own family threatened and his father getting killed for failing to pay the gambling debt...

This is a conspiracy site. Some conspiracy and cover ups are real yet so outrageous that no one will believe them.

I've heard this before. There are sealed FBI files about Jordan, gambling debts and his father's murder. MJ 'retired' because at that time he was the face of the NBA. A public suspension would have ruined the NBA and the revenue stream MJ brings.
I absolutely think there was more to the jordan deal than was let on.

that doesnt change the fact. Jordan was not suspended.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join