Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Swanson Vitamins: Why Dost Thou Shilly Shally about Sending Me My Replacement Order?

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Swanson Vitamins customer service tells me they have to "investigate" my order being lost in transit. This will take several more days, this after I have already waited for the shipment and after I had to wait for my package to be declared lost by U.P.S.

I asked the Swanson Vitamins customer rep: "What more needs to be investigated? U.P.S. admits that the package was lost. You have the U.P.S. tracking number; you can check the tracking webpage of U.P.S. As a large U.P.S. shipper you should know their policies!"

Here's the background information: the U.P.S. tracking webpage originally stated a delivery date of Friday, April 25, 2014 and everything seemed to be normal until that morning when I stayed home awaiting the shipment. The latest tracking report on the U.P.S. webpage showed that the last tracking update was the previous evening indicating the package arrived at a U.P.S. hub more than 175 miles from here. The tracking webpage should have stated "Out for Delivery" as usual, but I am well aware that sometimes updated tracking information of U.P.S. is delayed.

I did not get a knock on my door by 11 A.M. as was typically the case, so I went to the apartment complex welcome center where delivery men sometimes leave packages. On the way, I encountered the U.P.S. delivery man, and I asked him about my expected package. He said that he didn't have it. I told him about the latest tracking information, and that, if accurate, it would mean that my package was at the distribution hub for about 17 hours, meaning overnight. He said nothing stays overnight at the hub. Things go in and they swiftly go out. I asked if he or someone else from U.P.S. would make a second round of deliveries that day, and he said, "No."

So, I called U.P.S. customer service, and I was advised that if the is no delivery as projected and there is no tracking update on their website for the package for 24 hours, then it is assumed lost. Swanson Vitamins should be well aware of this policy. The U.P.S. customer service rep told me to wait until Saturday at which time I could file a claim with them or with Swanson Vitamins.

On Saturday, I called Swanson Vitamins and requested a replacement package and an email notification with tracking number of the replacement shipment.

By late Monday afternoon, now four days with no tracking update, I received no email notification, so I used Swanson Vitamins chat feature to communicate with their customer service, and the dialogue noted above transpired.

I also said: "Look, I never before requested a replacement shipment, but I know someone who has, and twice he got replacements pronto by simply requesting them, these being from Rachel Ray and Mayfair."

All that I got back from Swanson Vitamins was: "This is company policy; we have to investigate; there's nothing more that I can do; it will take several days; you have to wait."

Why can't they just charge back the cost of the lost goods to U.P.S. which is admitting that the package is lost and just send me a replacement PRONTO like other vendors.

I no longer have any confidence in Swanson Vitamins. There were many other times when I placed orders with them that far exceeded in value the order in question here. I don't think that I could ever put my money at risk again with this company.

You know what? I was thinking about placing a $200 order with another vendor for other things, but now I think that I will cancel my plans. I don't need these headaches.

Latest update: Tuesday 4/29/2014 morning: the U.P.S. tracking webpage went from "In Transit, scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later," to "Delay, scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later. Last location: Williamsport, PA, United States, Tuesday, 04/29/2014."

The more detailed tracking information has a time stamp for this update as 4/29/2014, 9:10AM with a notation of "A UPS error has delayed delivery. You should expect at least one business day delay."

Huh? Williamsport?? Williamsport is 85 miles away from the other side of the point of origin and in the opposite direction of all the other tracking information, and 1,200 miles away from the original destination. Go figure.

If someone in the audience is more in-the-know about the ins and outs of how Swanson Vitamins and U.P.S. operate, the please offer some expert insight. Thank you.

P.M.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

So sorry to hear of your lost shipment. I ship a lot of packages for my business. I remember before Christmas, all the horrible weather in many states I was shipping orders to.

Weather. believe it or not, does play a roll in shipping. Trucks carrying deliveries from point A to point B, will get re-routed to circumvent severe weather. Roads in some areas that are the normal route, get closed or damaged badly.

This huge severe weather front this past week, has effected a lot of states.

Both USPS and UPS aren't the best for keeping the end user updated when things go off regular schedules, but they do manage to try to make it up to people with refunds. At least that has been the case with me.

Good luck on getting your order soon. You could ask Swanson, I order from them too, for a customer discount for your next order for your inconvenience.

Des

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Weather. believe it or not, does play a roll in shipping. Trucks carrying deliveries from point A to point B, will get re-routed to circumvent severe weather. Roads in some areas that are the normal route, get closed or damaged badly.

This huge severe weather front this past week, has effected a lot of states.

I understand this fully, and thank you for responding, but...

How does a package go backwards about 1,000 miles from a distribution hub without even being scanned out of that hub?

P.M.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hey man, really bummed to see that kind of crap happen to you from a company I love (swanson), but if it's any condolence I really don't think it's Swanson's fault here. I only say this because just about a week ago I was on their Amazon store and they had 3lb bags of shelled hempseed going for $8 per 3lb bag. Now if you know anything about hempseed price you'll know that's an incredible deal, and sure enough the next day(after I put an order in for 2) the price was back up to the original $35/ bag. I figured I was going to get an apolgy letter from them, but when I checked it said it had been shipped from Pennsylvania from their Customer Support address. I got $70 worth of hempseed for literally $16- and they followed through with it!

My only advice is to give it a couple days, sounds like they sent it from their main place and everything so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Take care and good luck!

Edit: and as to your question about how it changed location.. sounds like it legitimately got lost in the mail and now they're sending you brand new ones......
edit on 29-4-2014 by doesntmakesense because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

Because Fedex, UPS and USPS have internal contracts with each other to toss packages on each others' trucks/flights to save money. They all do it, and sometimes packages will get routed through states not even in the same ball park as the address of the final destination.

Sometimes the company, Amazon did this before so many people complained and Amazon dropped the Fedex Smartpost, real cheap for Amazon, has deep discount contracts with the shipper, that use a less expensive means of routing/tracking, and those savings are usually passed onto the customer in lower shipping fees.

I stopped using Fedex Smartpost, due to this practice, as sometimes what I thought was being shipped for 3 day delivery would take well over a week or more, and routed all over the whole damn country. But, that doesn't change the fact, someone in the loop of your order, still uses them internally.

And you have to factor in the human aspect too. Someone may just be lazy and not doing their job right. It happens.

From your OP, it appears you have all the data, that shows you are not in the wrong in any way. I would ask Swanson for customer refund or reshipping now, to keep you as a satisfied customer. They've always dealt fairly with me in the past.

Des

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Not everyone who works for shippers, are mentally stable either. This happened this morning about 90 miles away from me at a Fedex shipping hub. Hubs are where packages are sent for sorting and routing. All those packages sitting there today, will not be going anywhere as it's a massive crime scene.

Six people shot by coworker.

Doctor: 3 victims critical in Ga. FedEx shootings

onlineathens.com...

Des

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Some places have bad customer service.
Every place I've worked has to go through the red-tape to ship replacement orders.
More than likely that company is owned by a larger corporation. They tend to have a bureaucratic culture.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is file a chargeback, and do business elsewhere.

More than likely those terms were listed on their website, and by placing an order, you agree to those terms.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The NSA hijacked the shipment to insert nanotech in your vitamins to monitor your biorhythms and track your every move.

Doesn't sound as crazy as it would have ten years ago, does it?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JonButtonIII
The NSA hijacked the shipment to insert nanotech in your vitamins to monitor your biorhythms and track your every move.

Doesn't sound as crazy as it would have ten years ago, does it?

Don't get me started on the stuff of chemtrails and what I think that they are all about.

P.M.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Believe it or not I have never had a problem ordering from them, maybe this is a one-off thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I would ask myself this... Have you ever ordered from them before and had prompt shipment? If yes, Cut them a break for a second.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
I would ask myself this... Have you ever ordered from them before and had prompt shipment? If yes, Cut them a break for a second.

Why should I cut them a break when I have made a request of them that was more than reasonable?

I am one of their best customers. I have placed many orders, many of them well in excess of the value of the order in question.

Things in the past were not perfect.

Once the box was too big for its contents, and no bubble pack was included to take up the space.

Once a rigid plastic bottle had a square hole about 3/8 of an inch square in it. I repacked the contents.

Once a bottle of liquid came with the neck squashed down into the body of the bottle.

And once a U.P.S. shipment had to be delivered to my post office for final delivery to my P.O. Box (as usual for that time), but Swanson shipped it with the wrong U.P.S. shipping code. I think that it was supposed to go Basic-2, but it was sent Basic-1. Don't hold me to the exact code. Anyway, it ended up at the big regional U.P.S. distribution hub to which I had to travel to retrieve the package.

I never complained about any of these occurrences.

So, I just checked the U.P.S. tracking webpage for my package and the status was changed back to "In Transit" with a projected delivery date of Friday, May 2, 2014, but the tracking detail has it still in Williamsport, PA not having any arrival nor departure scan for it there.

Oh, well.

P.M.
edit on 29-4-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: punctuation
edit on 29-4-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: (no reason given)
edit on 29-4-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenough

How does a package go backwards about 1,000 miles from a distribution hub without even being scanned out of that hub?

If anyone knows better, please feel free to jump in and offer correction and/or clarification.

Do you know what?

I'm inclined to believe that my package never followed the route that was presented in the original tracking even though that tracking went through the first U.P.S. distribution hub and then supposedly arrived at the second U.P.S. distribution hub where my package got scanned in but never got scanned out and languished in "U.P.S. tracking abeyance" for almost five days.

I think that a big batch of packages is put into a big shipping container that has a bar code outside of it, and those individual packages are supposed to be correctly associated with the bar code of the shipping container in U.P.S.'s computer.

I think that the shipping container was scanned as having arrived and departed from the first distribution hub and was scanned as having arrived at the second distribution hub.

It was at the second distribution hub where all of the packages in the shipping container were to be off-loaded and sent on their separate and divergent ways, but, sadly my package (and maybe many others) was not included in the batch of packages that were supposed to be in that shipping container.

This is why my package never got scanned out of the second distribution hub. It simply was not there to begin with, and so it is very doubtful that my package went 1,000 miles backwards to Williamsport, PA.

Another possibility is that bar codes on shipping containers are not used as outlined above. Perhaps a package is associated with the bar code of the trailer of a U.P.S. tractor-trailer truck, and when that trailer arrives at a distribution hub, it's bar code is scanned and every package within that trailer is assumed to have arrived there whether or not each package is actually in that trailer.

Under the circumstances, do you think that an Internet vendor should be providing tracking numbers to customers when tracking information may prove to be totally false?

Again, I welcome expert input.

P.M.
edit on 30-4-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: Removed extraneous character.
edit on 30-4-2014 by theworldisnotenough because: Corrected style.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenoughSo, I just checked the U.P.S. tracking webpage for my package and the status was changed back to "In Transit" with a projected delivery date of Friday, May 2, 2014...

OK, with a new delivery date of Friday being assigned to the package, I made plans to stay home Friday for the U.P.S. man and go out today, Thursday.

I just checked the U.P.S. tracking webpage for the package, and they UPDATED THE DELIVERY TO TODAY, THURSDAY.

I put a note on the door declining the package with instructions for it to be RETURNED TO SENDER.

ARRRRGGGGGG!!!

P.M.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenough
Things in the past were not perfect.

Once the box was too big for its contents, and no bubble pack was included to take up the space...

I neglected to mention that there was another instance of the box being too big for its contents. There was some bubble pack included, but it was so insufficient that they may as well have left it out all together.

Also, once, instead of including one copy of a promotional flyer in with my order, they included about 60 of them. This was polished paper so it added a significant amount of weight to the package. I did inform Swanson Vitamins about this occurrence.

Just letting you know.

P.M.

top topics

join