It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab mice stressed by smell of male researchers: McGill study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

A McGill University study showed that lab rodents become stressed in the presence of male researchers. Stress leads to the release of chemicals in the body that act as pain suppressors.

It turns out the best-laid research plans involving mice and men have a bit of a wrinkle — the lab rodents appear to react differently to male scientists during experiments than they do to females.
And that could skew results of numerous medical studies in which the critters are used as stand-ins for humans, suggests Jeffrey Mogil, a professor of behavioural neuroscience at McGill University, whose lab set out to test the responses of mice to male versus female experimenters.
Mogil directs a group of scientists who focus on pain, including its genetic and neurological underpinnings. Part of their work involves inducing discomfort in lab mice with the ultimate goal of finding drugs that can relieve pain in humans.
But a funny thing kept happening: sometimes, the mice didn’t react as expected when given an injection in a limb meant to induce pain and pain behaviours, including a specific set of facial expressions known as the mouse grimace scale previously developed by Mogil’s lab.

“We found that this was olfactory because we could replace the male experimenter with a T-shirt worn by a male and that also produces analgesia,” he said. “And it has nothing specifically to do with humans, because you can use bedding from almost any animal, as long as it’s male and has testosterone.

I thought this study was so interesting I had to share it on ATS. I admit I started laughing when I first heard about it, but then I started thinking about how profound this is, everything influences everything, now imagine how many studies could've had different results if we'd have known about this before.

Since the vast majority of University students are women, lab mice will be put in a lot less stress in the future, that should keep PETA happy.

Lab mice stressed by smell of male researchers: McGill study
Study: The Smell of Men Stresses Out Lab Mice

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

lab mice will be put in a lot less stress in the future

Less stress? Yeah, sure.

HOWEVER, with no male researchers around they'll be less tolerant to pain, and therefore will suffer more...
...not exactly a win for the mice if you ask me...
edit on 29/4/14 by MadHatter364 because:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MadHatter364

That was more of an attempt to be humorous for my part, wasn't suppose to be taken too seriously

Funny how the article did not inspire you to comment but my PETA comment did.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I work in a lab and also I'm stressed some times by the smell of some of colleges, it seems they don't know the concept of deodorant and other basic hygiene practices, unlike mice here in Europe is not only male researchers smells...

Errr that was not what this was isn't it oh well

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

Funny how the article did not inspire you to comment but my PETA comment did.
Didn't realize you don't enjoy exchange of opinions... won't happen again...

That was more of an attempt to be humorous for my part
Fair enough, it's difficult to be subtle with text only.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Subtext:

Animals are afraid of men. You should be too.

new topics

top topics

join