It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft rushes to fix browser after attacks; no fix for XP users

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Hold up there buddy. This isn't so easy for everyone. I work for a company that employs around 500 people and a good many of our computers still use windows xp.

You're right. Apologies as I was simply thinking individual users not businesses. Been quite a while since I was in that type of business situation. Yeah company wide roll-outs and deployments... yeck.

The only good thing in your situation is maybe the IT department will make some decisions against the planned obsolescence of these type software packages. Doesn't help much now but maybe in the future.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
The last supported version IE for XP was 8. Even if XP was still supported there would still not be a fix for IE8.

If you are still using XP you should have at the very least stopped using IE four years ago.
I never really used IE very much, but I still have XP on an older PC and just got a security update for IE version 8 earlier this month. So yes they were still making security patches for IE until a few weeks ago, even though it wasn't their latest browser.

But for the 26% of XP users out there, who don't want to switch to Windows 7 or Windows 8, you can at least use a different browser than IE and should probably switch to another browser immediately if you haven't already.

originally posted by: VirusGuard
Firefox

From what I can see most of the current develpment on the browser is being done in India (Thats a good thing considering the NSA financed all the big US software house) and the $50m that Google donates to the develpment goes a long way: Type about:config into the browser, seach for Google and it's all over the place.
I did that and I see 30 entries but I wouldn't call that all over the place. 14 entries are related to noscript where default whitelists are provided for etc, and of the remaining 16 entries most are related to "safe-browsing" which I guess checks Google's database of infected sites to warn people going to risky URLs. I don't even use that feature, relying instead on noscript to block all scripts on sites other than sites like ATS that make a dedicated effort to stay malware-free. Maybe Firefox has got worse, but I use extended support release (ESR) versions of Firefox, and as a result am usually not on the latest version.

But I have a question which I'm hoping you might be able to answer. When I search "chrome" in "about:config" of firefox, I get a lot of entries, and I wondered if those have any relation to the Chrome browser which I've never installed, do you happen to know? I tried searching for an answer and couldn't find one that explained if there was any relationship.

Also, which browser do you recommend, or do you have a recommendation?
edit on 30-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Hold up there buddy. This isn't so easy for everyone. I work for a company that employs around 500 people and a good many of our computers still use windows xp.

You're right. Apologies as I was simply thinking individual users not businesses. Been quite a while since I was in that type of business situation. Yeah company wide roll-outs and deployments... yeck.

The only good thing in your situation is maybe the IT department will make some decisions against the planned obsolescence of these type software packages. Doesn't help much now but maybe in the future.

Good luck.

Heh. I'm in the IT department and I've been trying to get our people to upgrade from windows xp since last year and no one listened to me.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
i hate to say it....but if you are using IE you are begging for trouble. And the slowest web experience known to man.

But I foresee lawsuits on the horizon as the mighty XP goes through its unfortunate death throes.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

The IT world seemed to come to terms with Win7 fairly easily. Not so much with Win8/8.1

It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to launch some sort of media player on a friends win8 machine.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Your last two posts show why this is such a problem for some people, general lack of computer knowledge. Just like many other things, if you know what you're doing you can mitigate or even completely remove any of the dangerous factors. For a glaring example, a loaded gun in someones hand that has never used one before is going to be much more dangerous than in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing. Assuming they're both good people of course.

I've used IE since windows 95 and never had a problem. It's not any slower than any other browser that I've tried and I've not gotten any viruses because of IE.

The same thing applies to Windows 8...if you know what you're doing it doesn't matter what the screen looks like. Most of the commands are pretty much the same. If I couldn't find media player on the metro interface...heck, I wouldn't even bother looking for it actually I would just hit winkey +r and type in there wmplayer...done.

Remember the old saying, it's a poor craftsman that blames their tools. The browser and the computer only do what you tell them to do.

edit on 30-4-2014 by Pimpish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

The IT world seemed to come to terms with Win7 fairly easily. Not so much with Win8/8.1

It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to launch some sort of media player on a friends win8 machine.

Yeah, windows 8 gets little love around here and I'm afraid to upgrade our computers to it. People have trouble adjusting to the switch between xp and 7, let alone 8. Every time I see MS trying to shove that crappy OS down people's throats I get annoyed. Why does EVERY MS platform have to go the windows 8 tile route?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

if the change in interface came with an option to "go classic", it would be fine. But it doesn't

The bright purple annoys me.

The internet has improved interfaces and design year over year since it was created. MS, on the other hand, cannot seem to accomplish that.

And then this. It just has the appearance of them sitting on an exploit until the XP sunset.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Pimpish

My computing knowledge isn't the issue. Its more that I don't have time to spend in configuration settings messing and tinkering. So I slap band aids all over it, and do just fine.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

But I foresee lawsuits on the horizon as the mighty XP goes through its unfortunate death throes.
What kind of lawsuits? Who suing whom for what?

My understanding is that some companies are paying for extended XP support, but I have no idea if this extends to the IE8 browser or not. They don't mention it in this Great Britain announcement:

www.nerdoholic.com...

Microsoft has recently signed an agreement with Great Britain, by which they will provide support for Windows XP in this country one more year, which means that all computers in the public sector will still have the opportunity to secure the operating system without exposure to hackers. Microsoft will receive 5.5 million pounds in exchange for releasing critical and important security updates for Windows XP, Office 2003 and Exchange 2003. However, all of the organizations which would like to benefit from extended support for Windows XP, have to come up with a plan that shows that they intend to move to a newer operating system during that year.

Maybe people still using XP should make some friends in Great Britain so they can get another year of security updates from their friends? But no mention of IE and it's easy to switch the browser.
edit on 30-4-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

if the change in interface came with an option to "go classic", it would be fine. But it doesn't.

Right-click on the taskbar, properties, navigation tab, check "boot to desktop." I believe the latest updates that rolled out at the beginning of April even set this to be the default behavior.

It wasn't there at launch but it's there for the 8.1 update.

I hate the metro screen. Never use it. Never have to even look at it.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

What time messing with settings and tinkering? It takes no time at all if you know what you're doing - hence the knowledge part. Most people aren't computer tech's though and are more focused on end-user stuff, which is fine, but it certainly is a knowledge issue.

For example, you can install Classic Shell on windows 8 in less than 2 minutes and get your classic windows experience back. Boom, problem solved.

As far as IE, you don't have to mess with any settings to make it safe, just don't go to unsafe websites and boom, problem solved. If you absolutely have to go to a website you don't know is safe you can change one setting, less than 15 seconds, and boom...solved.

edit on 30-4-2014 by Pimpish because: Typos

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: RationalDespair

I agree with you, this is propaganda to force those that still have xp into shedding money to buy the newest Microsoft operating system.

Dirty and premeditated.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Pimpish

Ahh, i got you.

That is true. Growing up I learned computing on TRS-DOS and MS-DOS (along with the Apples and Commodores). While I am familiar with what you are saying, I would have no idea how to do that in a modern OS.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree especially since the DHS is raising cain about it. It can only benefit the Gov and corps. Hell, maybe even the NSA. It could be a way for the NSA to get us all to comply with new tracking software that they need everybody to put on their machines. Eww the conspiracy mind is tingling lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Not to belittle or anything but you've got to be careful not to be left behind.

I work with a lot of guys who were at the top of their game back when trays of punch cards were being slid into refrigerators. They didn't keep up and now something as simple as printing a PDF cripples them.

You can see it in their eyes how frustrating it is for them having been pioneers of the very tech they can't use.

I had no reason to go to Windows 8. I didnt want to. But it's not going anywhere and I refuse to be one of those guys who goes on and on about command line programming back in the day and reminisce about ZZT and BBS's but can't make any sense out of the latest thing that little kids are using with ease.

If it's new, even if it sucks, it's worth taking an afternoon or a weekend to familiarize yourself.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

I am in operations/finance, not IT. Technology, for me, is primarily an end user type of thing where I am creating reports etc. I do take care of some database admin type stuff for our revenue systems, but for the most part just export everything into excel/csv format.

If Win8's design sticks, Ill likely move back to linux for home computing. At work, Ill just hold my nose and use it.

edit on 4/30/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
who the hell still uses IE??

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Skorpy

You are right, is rumors that the new windows 8 have a backdoor root kid that will be directly use by NSA.

I’ve been wondering about Pentagon backdoors into personal computers for quite some time. Now we know. According to the German government, who had people in the room when the Windows 8 backdoor system was designed, Window 8 machines with the “Trusted Computing” chip are not to be trusted. They contain hardware and software that give anyone — including potentially the NSA and even the Chinese — with the embedded “control key” complete access to your system.

americablog.com...

How to Remove Backdoor Agents From the Registry

Read more: www.ehow.com...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
yet another anti-MS hoax.

Out-of-Band Release to Address Microsoft Security Advisory 2963983

We have made the decision to issue a security update for Windows XP users. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, and we continue to encourage customers to migrate to a modern operating system, such as Windows 7 or 8.1. Additionally, customers are encouraged to upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer, IE 11.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join