It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft rushes to fix browser after attacks; no fix for XP users

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: RationalDespair

I feel ya. We just upgraded to Exchange 2013 over the weekend for our mail server and working out the kinks to THAT has been a huge headache (caused our helpdesk to go down, incompatible with office 2003, people not being able to connect to the exchange, etc).

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

originally posted by: Goteborg

Great points. Most of the companies I support would shut down if they didn't use IE, most of their employees wouldn't even be able to clock in for work.

If you're referring to ADP the warning you see about not using a compatible browser is all bunk. Works just fine with Chrome or Firefox or anything else. Simply ignore the message stating otherwise.

No it isn't bunk because we have internal sites that don't load pdfs in firefox, opera, or chrome. The reason that MOST sites don't have this problem is because most professional sites are designed to support all systems or were programmed generically enough that it isn't an issue.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Yep, you talked about ActiveX but then you then said that the best course of action was to not use IE and that is what I responded to and I thought that was obvious but if it wasn't then I'm sorry

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What does that have to do with my very specific statement toward ADP?

PDF's not loading in browsers, any browser, is an ongoing problem for everyone. Best practice is to download it and open it in Adobe proper. Causes a lot of headaches for a lot of people just relying on the browser viewer.

It'll be nice once HTML5 is widely adopted and all these plug-ins and players and viewers go away.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: RationalDespair

If we had switched to Linux and, say Firefox or Opera, this workload and the migration costs would have been many times larger

uneducated and unprovable guess.

in reality you would have saved loads & loads of money in the short term and even more in the long term.

i've converted against their will old people to ubuntu.

first they mock your ambition, then they fight you and finally they thank you.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: anHairInTheSoup

originally posted by: RationalDespair

If we had switched to Linux and, say Firefox or Opera, this workload and the migration costs would have been many times larger

uneducated and unprovable guess.

in reality you would have saved loads & loads of money in the short term and even more in the long term.

i've converted against their will old people to ubuntu.

first they mock your ambition, then they fight you and finally they thank you.

The post you're referring to was talking about a commercial environment. There's a reason most businesses don't run Linux distros on their workstations.

There's a massive misunderstanding about Linux. Sure, you can install it but it really does take time to train people to use it and even though the OS is free (except for Red Hat) the support isn't. A business is not going to hang out in the Ubuntu forum in order to fix their problems, they're going to contract with someone and that costs money.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: anHairInTheSoup
Being able to run, and running stable enough to get work done are two different things. Last time I tried was a year ago, hardly the 90's. What wouldn't run stable that I tried, zbrush, photozoom, after effects, and poser. After struggling with those, back to windows 7. I need to get stuff done, bottom line, not mess around with a new OS for a year. And I am just a "hobbyist", I can imagine how bad it must be for people that do it for a living.
edit on Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:03:09 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

That was one example. PDF downloads aren't the only things that don't work on some of our sites on browsers other than IE (btw, the way we store our SOP's, the only way most people know how to access them is through our intranet site, most don't know where they are actually stored on the network). We also have internet based applications that don't work correctly in other browsers.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's fine. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to continue using IE. My one example of ADP was toward a particular post that seemed to imply an ADP compatibility by mentioning "our employees couldnt even clock in."

That's all I was responding to. I wasnt trying to attack a position or defend a position. Simply stating that if ADP is the issue you can ignore the warning screen you see because it works regardless.

Sorry you read so much into it. Use whatever browser you want for whatever you want. I don't care.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Trust me I don't want to use IE... I'd rather use opera. That's the browser I'm using to visit this site btw.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Don't do this. That's my post you're talking about and there was no reason for you to assume I was talking about ADP.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Goteborg

That's why I said "if."

Geez. Sorry I tried to help.

I've seen plenty of people freeze when they get that warning message so I thought IF that was your issue I'd TRY to help you out.

Only on the Internet could that snowball into a page of bull#.

ETA: Seeing as how the problem was clocking in and ADP is the largest payroll servicer in the world and I know several companies who have had this issue assuming your was also an ADP issue doesnt seem all that far off.
edit on 29-4-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
a reply to: Goteborg

That's why I said "if."

Geez. Sorry I tried to help.

I've seen plenty of people freeze when they get that warning message so I thought IF that was your issue I'd TRY to help you out.

Only on the Internet could that snowball into a page of bull#.

ETA: Seeing as how the problem was clocking in and ADP is the largest payroll servicer in the world and I know several companies who have had this issue assuming your was also an ADP issue doesnt seem all that far off.

Playing the victim card? Really? If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't have assumed ADP in the first place. You were obviously making a larger point and you got called out. Don't fall back on something you said that was already clarified by me. Argue your point but leave me and your help out of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Goteborg

You were obviously making a larger point and you got called out. Don't fall back on something you said that was already clarified by me. Argue your point but leave me and your help out of it.

It'd help if you told me what my obvious larger point is.

So far I havent said anything that's preferential or an opinion about browsers or security or anything.

If there's a point in there it's news to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yusomad
More important questions:
WTH are you doing using IE still? At least for the last 10 years it has been a contagion pool for all computer related ailments.
And, WTH are you doing using XP still? Its been like 20 years now and there are far better systems in place.
And, XP is no longer supported, deal with it and change OSs.

This is not directed to the OP, just a generalisation.

What am I still doing with XP? Well, for one, I cannot afford a new computer. For another, XP is supposed to be, I'm told, the most user-friendly version. I am an old lady and if it wasn't around in my time, then I'm not very good at using it. I need user-friendly. The first computer I ever saw filled a room and punched some holes into cards--that was 'something' back then, though! Also, when I bought the frickin' computer, there was no mention that perhaps one day support would be declined. Also, I am very suspicious as to why Windows is getting rid of XP in the first place. From what I've read online, it's their most popular version. What's the hidden reason? I will say this: I've taken measures advised by supposed experts to be able to keep this computer for a few more years. When I absolutely have no choice but to buy a new one, I'll be buying it under payment-arrangement-conditions--I will NOT be buying WINDOWS of any frickin' version! Windows can kiss my butt! I vote with my pocketbook whenever possible!

(post by Goteborg removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Microsoft is Still Making Security Updates for Windows XP .

But only for big companies and the US government.

China uses about 80% bootleg XP and will not get the updates. or will get bootleg updates that may have NSA spyware .

www.neowin.net...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Habit4ming

Erm, not to be harsh, but XP was not there "in your time" as you put it...
Every support gets "declined" as you call it (discontinued would be more accurate, I think) after enough time, you dont expect to find spare parts for a 1930s car in a store do you? Its the same priciple, stuff that goes out of date gets off the shelf. XP was out of date quite a few years ago, I was the most staunch defender untill I changed to 7, never looked back. As I dont know your (old) system specs I could not tell if it can run 7, but pretty sure people can help you find out if it can, and it can be for free.
Disclaimer: software piracy is a felony(is it not?).

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
zbrush, photozoom, after effects, and poser.

i googled zbrushed + ubuntu, hundreds of results with solutions to run it with wine...

i see your hobby is in graphism, good for you, but just don't make generalisation on linux from your very biaised and tiny experience of it, it's obviously not your field and you're obviously mistaken : you try to run as a hobby not so common applications but you're not a nerd so you hit the wall and you put it on linux when it's just you that don't have the skills nor the patience to make uncommon things work on linux (and become part of linux community at the same time, participating in its progress).

Now for the common, if the common can double click an icon on a desktop in windows to open a software application to write a letter read an email or search the web, he can do exactly the same on a linux desktop : this is 100% PROVEN & GUARRANTEED. All those excuses you guys have to reject linux is just a way to hide your laziness.

So, for those system admins that thinks linux is NOT for the professional, that tell their boss linux is not economicly efficient (what a joke), do not get surprised when you'll get replaced :

77 per cent of hiring managers say finding Linux talent is a priority this year, according to a study

There’s “explosive demand” around the world for people with Linux skills, according to a recent report.

www.itworldcanada.com...

good luck waking up in the 10's , your job has changed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join