It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Optics Advice...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I have had many Vortex products to include some of their higher powered 50mm viper scopes. They are a great company and certainly stand by their red dots and scopes. You can call Vortex and tell them what you want to do and what the scope will be mounted on and you might be pleasantly surprised by some of their technical expertise. Night Force is another great scope but you really pay for their stuff. Nikon for a lower in scope has also served me well.. I think my Viper was 6-24x50 ( I sold the rifle 5.56 and scope together last year) I used that rifle for 300 to 400 yard shooting ... I am sold on Vortex red dots and their higher end scopes as far as bang for the buck/ Aimpoints and EOTECHs are all good and I have had different versions of both but for the money the vortex is hard to beat.. IMO

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Ahhh I gotcha...yea I understand what parallax is and does as you zoom further and further. I don't think it would be too big of a problem I'm not intending on shooting sub moa or anything (rifle probably could though) as long as I can keep within a couple of inches of my POA I'm happy. The gun show comes to town in a couple weeks so I'm going to go down and try to get my hands on one of those vortex viper pst 44mm and maybe a few others.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That's how it seems to me...as far as I've read they seem to be one of the better quality for dollar products out there. Can't wait to check one out in person...it's driving me nuts that I dont have sights on this thing yet I've been wanting to shoot it since I got it a few weeks ago. POF makes one beautiful rifle but I'm itching to put it to the test.
edit on 1-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Erno86

How's your cheek weld when you transfer to the mrds up top? I have heard it causes at the least an adjustment and for some they have to lose cheek weld all together to get the proper eye alignment. I think I wanna use a gear sector surefire x series mount so its low profile but just off at 1 o'clock. I have practiced a bit and it seemed with the imagined site that its an easy transfer as well as the same cheek weld.

You're 1 o'clock option is more ideal and accurate...though I can raise my cheek piece on my modular AR adjustable stock --- which in CQB, my vertical top scope mount might be faster --- without going through the process of raising my cheek piece.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well I thought I'd come back and update the thread. I ended up going with a different option which I am kind of more happy about. I looked over a ton of stuff at the gun show last weekend as well as ALL and I mean all the gun shops around. Turns out the lightest, nicest, light weight option in my price range was the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. I haven't shot with it yet however it is quite clear and easy to use. I got mine in MRADs because I find math easier in the base 10 system. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Also I'll leave you guys a little eye candy…

ETA: Thats a Larue QD mount as well…and the whole optics package was only 620$…not to mention my Burris FF III is in the mail and only cost me 190$!
edit on 23-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
So here we go guys…and for real let this be a testament to 1 o' clock mounts for MRDS. This because it is the lightest flushest most solid mounting structure I could find and guess what…it has colors too. Here are some almost complete photos of her. All she's missing is the Multicam VTAC single point sling, Mako Group T Pod Gen II, And a Noveske QD Receiver plate. At some point I'll be into NFA for it and I'll have the pinned comp removed but it's a good 8-10 months off. I am gonna suffice with some electronic peltors for now.

Now the eye candy

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Are you looking for long range or short range. This is the biggest question you have to ask yourself. I would never own a vortex scope again......they are crap and many models are made in China.

If you want a great scope at a great price check out the Bushnell 4200 tactical elite 6-24x50 mil dot scope. I picked mine up for around 500. It is the best bang for the buck you can find. Made in Japan. Hakko makes great glass.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Much depends on the tier of gear your in. Yes vortex uses Chinese glass on their cheaper models but as with most well known manufacturers the upper tier scopes are made much better. This particular scope has glass from the Philippines and they are getting really good at it. Not quite as good as the Japanese but we are talking a slight difference for another 500-1000$...in my book it is clear as day and very easy to put on target. I wouldn't want it past like 600 or so but it does more than I intend to with the rifle.

posted on Jul, 17 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Redfield and leupold makes some great scopes under 200$, and Leupold now owns Redfield, so improved quality and lifetime warrenty too.Both make 1.25x5 mag scopes for close range.Dont spend 150$ on Chinese crap, save your money and buy USA or Japanese scope .you cant send a chinese scope in for repair .If you can find a Tasco Titan in 1.25x5 like i did 7 years ago for 80$,, its a great buy ,made in Japan, 30mm tube ,built and heavy.as far as a red dot is concerned, the Bushnell TRS-25 is highly rated, plenty of happy buyers, 80$.i just got a used Tasco Pro Point off e-bay, made in japan, very well bilt,and only 40$.,way better than any chinese crap i have seen.personally if i had the money i would spend it ona 1-5 variable compact scope, lighted recticle made by US optics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join