It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could my childhood "bears" be aliens ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
There are a number of forums I could put this. Hope I got it right.

I am sure we all have baggage we carry around with us, so here is a suitcase-full of mine. I have more baggage, but this is enough for now.

As a child, I used to see and be afraid of "bears" at the bottom of my bed. These bears were real to me and I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time. I remember it going on for maybe 6 months and it was said by my mother/doctor, that this seeing bears and nightmares was due to an ear infection. That is always what I have been told anyway.

If it was an ear infection, I do not remember any outward signs like ear-ache which often happens with ear infections, or weeping of fluid from the ear or excess wax. In fact, I dont remember anything health-wise happening during the day - only at night when I experienced these bears at the bottom of my bed.

If it had been an ear infection, then I would expect that it would still be there during the day.

The point I am trying to make here is - Do you think that these 'bears' could be aliens? If so, then my young mind was probably interpreting them as 'bears'. I do not see anything at all now and have very few remembered dreams, almost like I blank all that out.

For years earlier I was absolutely scared of the dark, but now I am not. Maybe this fear was due to the bears...
What does anyone think please?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The simplest answer is usually the correct one
(you were imagining it).

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'm so sad for you! Children shouldn't be terrorized. It could have been aliens, there was something like that in a movie I saw about abductions that had taken place in Alaska, I really dont remember the name but it was supposed to be a true story about a psychologist treating some people in a small town in Alaska. Something I my be out of line on is could you have been molested as a child during that period of your life? Night terrors happen for other reasons but sadly that seems to be on of the all too common ones.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It's possible. Evidence seems to indicate that memories of abductees are sometimes altered with "masks", instead of entire memory wipes. One of these days I'll post a thread about some things that happened when I was young...

Most ridiculous explanation ever - ear infection. LOL

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
The bears are not what they seem . . .

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: qmantoo
There are a number of forums I could put this. Hope I got it right.

I am sure we all have baggage we carry around with us, so here is a suitcase-full of mine. I have more baggage, but this is enough for now.

As a child, I used to see and be afraid of "bears" at the bottom of my bed. These bears were real to me and I must have been about 6 or 7 at the time.

Did you see them usually three at a time, and they were wearing something like jawa cloaks?

Sorry, it wasn't bears.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
A childs imagination is infinite. I had imaginary pals which also included a seven foot bear and gnomes who all protected me.
Op not aliens just a poorly childs imagination.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

I'm not discounting your story, but I have a lot of weird memories from my childhood that don't seem to fit in with reality. But then again I have schizophrenia. *Insert maniacal Bill Hicks laugh here.* I'm not joking about the schizophrenia.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

This thread is very interesting on a personal level qmantoo.

As a child I had an "imaginary" friend I would refer to as My Bear. He only seemed to appear to me in the house I grew up in and I would talk with him often. My mother has always said she thought this was a real thing I would see and interact with as I was not prone to other imaginary friends or that type of play as a child. I was quite literal in my play generally.

As I grew older I seemed to stop seeing this bear until I was 13 years old. My parents were out for the evening and I was sitting in my living room watching television. The house I grew up in was quite active in other ways so whenever my sis or I was home alone, we would sit so that the mirror on the wall in a certain hallway would be visible. We would use this mirror to see around the corner of this hallway if we heard anything "strange".

I heard the sound of our den door open and turned to look into the mirror and standing in the doorway, blocking out the mirror completely was a dark grey, tall thing. It had no discernible features but I could clearly see head, shoulders arm and legs. It stood there for at least 3 full seconds which is a long time when your staring at something like that. I watched it turn and walk out of the frame of the door.

Thinking about this thing later that night and often over the years I have thought that as a young child I might have described this thing as a "bear" and I don't get the impression it meant me harm.

Do you recall any details about these "bears" you saw ? Might they have been crouching down or did they seem small ?

I have never heard anyone ever mention "bears" specifically before so I am very interested.

Penny

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I used to see 'bears' too - about four feet tall, Tolkien dwarf stocky, sort of bearish/Ewok faces, dark cobalt blue fur with black trim, and they wore brown cloaks with hoods and had 'bat belts' with tools on. Sort of like hairy, geared up friar tucks with hobbit feet.

You generally saw them in groups of three, at night.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: denybedoomed

I wasn't sure if this was a play on a Twin Peaks reference, if so it's strangely appropriate.

Bears in mythology are often associated with shape shifters or transformations of human to animal form or the other way around.

The Norse Berserkrs for example:

" Debate has centered on the meaning of the word itself. Berserkr could mean "bare shirt," that is, naked; berserkrs, as a mark of ferocity and invincibility, are said to have fought without needing armor. The word, however, may also mean "bear-shirt," reflective of the shape and nature of the bear assumed by these warriors. More literally, it may refer to protective bearskins that such warriors may have worn into battle. When the "berserkr rage" was upon him, a berserkr was thought of as a sort of "were-bear" (or werewolf), part man, part beast, who was neither fully human nor fully animal."

www.viking.ucla.edu...

The story of Callisto, who was transformed into a bear and then unknowingly hunted and shot by her son. Interestingly Calistos father is Lycaon who was transformed into a wolf for serving human flesh to Zeus.

www.pantheon.org...
www.pantheon.org...

Many cultures hold the bear they don't directly mention it's name.

Unmentionable One (Blackfoot)
Owner of the Earth (Siberian)
That Which Went Away (Koyukon)
The Thing (Koyukon)
Dark Thing (Koyukon)

The last three are from the Koyukon tribes of Alaska. The oral histories speak of "distant time".

"During this age "the animals were human"—that is, they had human form, they lived in a human society, and they spoke human (Koyukon) language."

en.wikipedia.org...

There is also a great book on the subject by Richard K. Nelson called Make Prayers to the Raven

Penny

edit on 29-4-2014 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Hmmmm....Hopefully these bears were not of this variety en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lost in space

Could the movie you recall be "The Fourth Kind" ?

I also wanted to add that I have no reason to believe what I saw either as a young child or a teen was what I would think of as an "alien"

edit on 29-4-2014 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Thank you all for your thoughts.

I do not remember any more information unfortunately, but I am going to delve into that a bit more in the coming days and possibly weeks. If they were aliens masking themselves, it may account for the blocks on anything psychic as well as my inner TV and inner radio just not working as I think it should. Over the past 30+ years since about 20, I have been in many situations where I should have felt psychic things or seen things but I get nothing which makes it as far as my consciousness. It must all be buried deep down somewhere.

I think that if I can resolve the 'bear' thing and come to some understanding of it, other aspects of my life may open a little and let some light or images in. I do get intuition occasionally but not really on a conscious level. It is so frustrating. Anyway, I have asked my sisters if they remember anything about that time in my life so that I may be able to get more information from them.

edit on 29 Apr 2014 by qmantoo because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pennylemon
Wow, that is a lot of cool information. I am of a belief that everything mythological/legendary/fantastical stems from a grain of truth somewhere in our past. Who knows if what the OP experienced is related--if even marginally related it would be an awesome bit of modern, human experience.

I'm probably getting off-topic of the OP, but the bear stuff reminds me of some other modern stories about the same idea.
The movies Brother Bear and Brave swung with the whole bear/transformation thing.
And in the online game World of Warcraft one of the first story-line quests for a druid learning to shapeshift is to speak to a bear spirit.
edit on 29-4-2014 by awakendhybrid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It was.

a reply to: pennylemon

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

The simplest answer is usually the correct one
(you were imagining it).

Yep! You are totally correct. "The simplest solution is usually the correct one."

That is always true for the dogmatic and the those that know nothing other than what they are told.

There be mysteries out there that evidently you can't imagine.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Actually I had experiences of creatures at the foot of beds, but also strange times when "vampires" would suck my soul out of my body and I would be floating towards closet doors that if I let myself float through I would be trapped or gone forever. Here's the fun part though.

My worst experiences where around the times I had terrible ear infections. As unrelated as it sounds it makes sense to me..

My strange ghost like experiences as a child don't seem to fit into reality very well, so I'm unsure what to call them. MAybe kids just aren't in 1 reality yet until it gets more solid as you age and have an idea in your head about what the world is made of.

One time the room I was in turned up and everything was sliding towards one end and then it turned back the other way and it kept going back and forth as a grandfather clock struck 12 midnight... Thing is that the other people in the room had the same experience. they were also kids, but it made my brother cry for hours after...

I don't know that there is one reality, but thinking about my version of how things work I would say those "bears" or aliens or whatever don't exist "here." Meaning they are not "real" for us.... For now...

I wonder some times if Ewoks are in some created dimension we made by imagining them hahaha..

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Interestingly Boymonkey, my imaginary "bear" was very tall as well. Yes children are imaginative and I might have put it down to that would I not have seen the thing in the doorway much later in life. I was much to old to imagine a bear at that point and only in retrospect did I put both the childhood friend and the later experience together.

Off topic: I loved your cat song

Penny

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I have similar memories from that age range, too. Except my memories are not of bears - they are of grays. Having said that, there were shows on TV about aliens back then, so who is to say that I wasn't having a nightmare.

However, to this day I HATE the praying mantis. I have caught all manner of creature with my bare hands - snakes, frogs, insects, salamanders, etc., but I have this innate disgust when I see a praying mantis. I can't explain it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join