It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So ya think you're gonna retire? Think again.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is a big issue in western society (Probably bigger than anywhere else). The issue of how we will take care of our elders. Historically it has been no problem, everyone has provided for their own. And if no-one provided for you, you simply died. Maybe you just went out into the forest and died, so your children or grandchildren could live; off of the meager resources available. Pity and charity are novel concepts. But, there are other complications now. It's a public issue now, for better or for worse. The gaps of income are significant. We now have the luxury of caring for our parents when they grow old and infirm. We even have the luxury of comparing their care to other old people, more affluent people. We can rate ourselves on this scale as well. The divide has never been greater, or at least more widespread. Especially if we are rich enough to afford luxurious care when we grow old and witless.

In any case, the generation now entering prime adulthood has to take care of its elderly somehow. In some countries like Sweden and Finland, there is a system in place for this. Unfortunately, this system may not be sufficient. It may slowly break down, we do not know, but this is what we fear. If so, we simply have to get by, at a much lower standard of living compared to what we are used to. And then we have to lower ourselves to the level of the rest of this world. How terrible it will be.

Of course, we are still ahead of the USA, who never implemented such a system. Still, the US is doing sort of well, so far. So who knows? It may be too late.

I suspect that China will rule us all.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRexIt is a hard row to hoe, and truthfully, you'll never be debt free as you get older. Medical bills have a tendency to pile up. (Especially Dental...even with insurance)

Don't follow my path. It's a pretty rough path to follow.

Just a word on dental. I am going to say a word you will never hear out of the mouth of your dentist, because he doesn't want to lose 80% of his business.

MOUTHWASH

Not every day, because that can lead to problems too, but every three or four days, in addition to your regular brushing, especially if your gums are getting sensitive.

I haven't been to a dentist in decades. I don't have a Pepsodent smile, but I finally realized what was causing gingivitis, abcesses, and cavities. Bacteria in the mouth.

Mouthwash my friend. It will change your life.
edit on 2-5-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
Now I am spending my days on trying to figure out what I can continue to do, while enjoying myself. Can't sit for to long, so driving or office work is out. Can't lift like I used too, so that is out as well.

You realize there's such a thing as a standing desk right? They're actually quite nice for office work. I can't afford one myself but I have some boxes to set my keyboard, monitors, etc on that raise everything up.

I quite liked mine until I hurt my back and lost the ability to stand for more than a couple minutes at a time.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I've done the office work thing and to be truthful, I was never happy and was secretly overjoyed whenever a emergency of some sort pulled me away from the desk. I'm used to doing physical labor and like a idiot
, took one of my mentors advice and applied for a Unit Administrator position (Mil-Tech). But it became mentally stressful with no real way to physically release it. Working out didn't help me, though it did keep me in shape.
I was all to happy to retire.

My back is slowly getting better and I am slowly easing myself back into the work force doing volunteer things for my friend who has a farm. At least I'm not bored there.

Pretty much everything in my house utilizing the standing method, with the exception of a exercise ball. It has helped a lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join