So ya think you're gonna retire? Think again.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I thought retirement, was the end all, be all for the longest time. But I didn't think beyond that. Now that I have retired, to be truthful, I'm bored stiff.

My income is limited, so everything has to be budgeted to a Tee. Travel is out, as is weekly restaurant trips. I have effectively nailed my foot to the floor for now.

I know a lot of people will say, "Whoop dee do for you. There are people who are worse off than you."

But those people don't really get it. Or maybe they do, but aren't that empathetic. I worked hard to get were I am at, I donated to charity where I could. I saved when I could. I learned from my financial mistakes and dug myself out of the hole multiple times.

My advice is for those who are making ends meet and then some. Pay off those bills...the sooner the better and keep paying those bills into some type of savings. Save for what you want, don't put it on credit. Preferably, save twice the amount for what you want to buy before buying it.

It is a hard row to hoe, and truthfully, you'll never be debt free as you get older. Medical bills have a tendency to pile up. (Especially Dental...even with insurance)

Don't follow my path. It's a pretty rough path to follow.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Very true .. retirement is boring as hell .. and excellent advice on the need to save ..
Luckily am in excellent health and debt free here ..

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My father worked from the day he turned 13, saving and working, he built a life for himself.

401k, multiple income properties, cash reserve ETC.

He lost it all in the housing collapse, due in part to illness, he lost his entire lives work to bankers who milked him dry of all he had, before taking everything he owned.

He now gets to spend his retirement living with me and my Wife.

Its not a burden, he carried me for 18, I can carry him in his twilight years.

It aggravates me to no end that we live in a system that treated our Elders in such a manner, at some point, People have to matter more than profit.

My wife an I have learned from his lessons, we are leaner and meaner now, because of the example his life set for us.

Live communally, live simple, value what matters.
edit on 28-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I don't think I'll ever retire. I'll be the old guy they keep an office for.

I'll totter on in, sit and check my mail. Forget and check it again.

Then I'll tinker with something broken.

Then have a nice lunch.

I like to work, personally.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You know I'm in the same boat as you. Although I live overseas, my pension here is only $2000 a year. Yes, you read it right. We a debt free and currently live off our saving, although the wife has a small business and works a few hours a week, we manage to get by. Utilities are so high it is beyond saying "expensive" anymore. They tell us to conserve, then they realize their profits shrink and up goes our bills. Can't win. I use a bicycle for most of my needs although we have a car, I prefer the bike. Wife uses it for all her needs though. A can of sardines and crackers still taste good to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Then have a nice lunch.

I thought I was that guy until my back went "KERPLUNK!"

Now I am spending my days on trying to figure out what I can continue to do, while enjoying myself. Can't sit for to long, so driving or office work is out. Can't lift like I used too, so that is out as well.

I'm at a impasse. The things I like to do and the jobs that marry up to them, just aren't there. Maybe it's time to go back to school.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Then have a nice lunch.

So this is what you'll be like in a couple of years?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The older you get the more you are bored of the same old distractions. If you have your health, a roof and food, count yourself fortunate.

All that other stuff you think you still need is trappings. What are you going to do when you die an have to leave all your crap behind? Be impatient?

Maybe its time to learn to just be.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

More like a few months.

LOLZ

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
When I went to university a few years back there were a few older gentleman who were purely there for education, turned out that if you were over 65 here in Ontario and held a post secondary diploma, degree, or red seal you could get get any education you wanted for free at ANY university!
Not sure what rules apply to the states, but I am sure they are somewhat similar. my grandparents, although unable to work always found ways to keep themselves busy, whether it be gardening, going on simple walks / hikes or just going on a simple road trip, being a tourist in their own backyard was good enough for them. You just need to be creative I guess.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm retired but still working. Joined the union [SAG/AFTRA] got an agent, and having the time of my life.
My latest...finally got screen credit and scale!!!
www.imdb.com...

I miss my old business. At one time it was like a license to steal.
edit on 28-4-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The things I need are adventure and a learning experience. They go hand in fist, so to speak.

I hate sitting around, but at this time, that's pretty much all I have, with the exception of the weekends when I can help friends out.

And to be truthful, you sound a lot like my Dad. Dad? Is that you?
edit on 28-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Come up to where I am!

They're begging for people to work up here!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I took up the bicycle again . I love it .It's amazing how much you miss when you are driving in a car .

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'm happy for ya!

There are few of us that can say that. Keep on, keeping on.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: olaru12

I'm happy for ya!

There are few of us that can say that. Keep on, keeping on.

Thanks amigo, pure luck and being in the right place at the right time.

All my contemporaries just play golf and have strokes and coronaries.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Oh Dawg...I totally relate to your situation.

I stayed home to raise my kids, always figured I had lots of time to work after they were grown.
Didn't count on permanent back injury and constant pain. Or the tiny disability cheque that I receive.
Way too young to be retired, and really miss working...and the social aspect of it.

Now I'm alone most of the time, can't stand long...or walk for long...or sit for long. Never know when I'm going to have 'bad days' and be laying down, so that makes me 'unreliable' as an employee.
I wish I could do something from home...something creative...like write! (lol) Something that brought in a steady income would be awesome!

Forced retirement is unpleasant. You might think it sounds good, but if you truly can't afford to go anywhere...yet still have the luxury of internet/computer, etc....you get to 'see' people you know still living their lives fully, while your own seems rather small and lonely....(thanks to facebook, e-mails, etc.)
Facebook makes me sad, to be honest. I get to see all the people who used to actively be in my life...now carrying on and having fun times without me.

Might sound sad to some, but this site has become my 'social circle' in many ways. For that, I am grateful.
jacygirl

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You' would have to send what job openings are there. But I must be truthful. My back is toast. There are not a lot of companies that will hire a guy who cannot perform the duties required. And I don't blame them.
edit on 28-4-2014 by TDawgRex because: spelling

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Then write Jacy. I've been working on a few novels myself during this time. You don't know until you try.

All they can say is no after all. But others may say yes. You never know until you submit.

My problem is, I'm trying to find something that hasn't been written about before...and failing at that.

Maybe it's in the story after all?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, I am loving my retirement. But, we did labor for 40yrs. Me a CNA and husband a union laborer. That was harder than this. When we retired, we had no debt. Never bought a house or cars with a loan from banks.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join