It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Orwellian Telescreens Debut At UK Supermarkets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In the last couple of weeks, my local Tesco store has installed tens of flat TV screens. Some are huge, at least 24 inches. Some are small 14" to 15". The screens show a combination of adverts featured on terrestrial TV and Tesco's own adverts. They also show "did you know facts" for kids, images of kids watching the screens and horoscopes for others. The horoscopes are for the www.ivillage.co.uk website. Some of the adverts shown are for

Matrix 2, 28 Days Later, and Madonna videos. The Madonna video is Madonna standing in front of a whole bunch of flags, apart from the stars and stripes which is not obscured.

The only people that I noticed paying much attention to the screens were children. The children watching were so interested in the screens, that they would turn their heads to continue watching the screens as their parents turn a corner. I heard one woman say to her husband, "ohh look, it's that funny advert". But she was the only one I heard comment.

Above the screens is CCTV that films your face as you watch the screen. Images that regularly flash up include Tesco Value TV (for the poor), which consists of red white and blue stripes. Juxtaposed is Tesco Finest TV for the richer, which shows an English butler opening a silver dish. Pop video adverts play in between these images. Notice the pictures of a Pound symbol being severed with scissors.

www.propagandamatrix.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The era of implanting people with identity chips is up on us

By Angela Swafford, Globe Correspondent, 5/20/2003

he painless procedure barely lasted 15 minutes. In his South Florida office, Dr. Harvey Kleiner applied a local anesthetic above the tricep of my right arm, then he inserted a thick needle deep under the skin.

''First we locate a prime spot,'' he said. ''The next thing is to release the button that triggers the injection mechanism, and that's it, the cargo's been delivered.''

The ''cargo'' was a half-inch-long microchip inside a glass and silicone cylinder that carries my permanent identification number. For an instant, I remembered the famous scene in the movie ''Fantastic Voyage'' in which a miniaturized Raquel Welch and her companions are inserted, submarine and all, into the vein of a patient. In my case, the tiny chip inside me can transmit personal information to anyone with a special handheld scanner.

www.boston.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
TORONTO - "Weird. Awkward. Uncomfortable." Even "fearful."
These are words Douglas Campbell, 20, used to describe his emotions after police knocked on the door of his Toronto apartment last week and asked him for a DNA sample.

Campbell's West End home is in the heart of the most intensive part of the police investigation into the slaying of 10-year-old Holly Jones, who disappeared on her way home from a friend's house early in the evening of May 12. Police canvassed the streets where Holly was last seen, asking men "over a certain age" and who met certain criteria for saliva swabs.

www.buffalonews.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, i do most of my shopping at Tesco's, never heard or seen anything like that before! Anyway, most supermarkets have CCTV anyway... in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a large shop or supermarket that did'nt. I bet you that the CCTV pictured in the photos was put there years before they even thought of installing tv's. If the screens are placed near to the cameras it's probably because they'll need to share the same power feeds etc...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The tesco one is rather funny, tons of UK shops use plasma screens to display adverts and bargains, its not orwellian at all, as the volume is about the same as the background muzak they play, besides, companies pay to advertise on those and they determine the content of the adverts.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Ive been over here in the Uk for a few weeks, dragon, and was rather alarmed by the amount of cameras everywhere. Speed cams, store Cams, street cams, its disturbing alright.

What really blows my mind was at Pleasure beach in Blackpool. There were cameras on all the rides to take pictures of your face as you came screaming out. Now this seems innocuous at a glance: take a memorable photograph of your self screaming your head off anfter youuve just been splashed or came off the Big One. But thats the thing. It all just seems innocent and normal for now...............

FOR NOW...............................

Another curious thing was the wristbands you buy to ride the attractions. They have Bar codes on em. To get on the ride, stick your wrist under the scanner...and you can pass. Bar codes to ride amusement park rides, seems harmless enough, cuts down on ticket waste, less employees needed, so less overhead costs...ect.

But thats my point. The NWO/Orwellian nightmare wont be just thrust upon an unsuspecting population, it will be slowly and gently eased through avenues such as shopping and amusement where they are less intrusive and seeiming innocent and such.

There will be no revolution, no gun fighting, ect, because it will all happen so slowly and gently that people will one day wake up with scanning cams in thier homes. Desensitized against these intrusions so they will feel more comfortable.

Just look at the TV Show Big Brother. They are maiing the orwellian nightmare into harmless TV shows that people gobble up and entertain. We will soon feel being watched and monitored is fun and entertaining.

And someday, well forget what privacy and dignity were.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
You forgot to mention undercover store detectives.
Does anyone else get scoped by those bastards?

It's easy enough to spot them. They usually have those small baskets containing items inconsistent with the requirements of a regular shopper, speak into their hands, are incredibly rude(think they have the right of way on an aisle) and occasionally leave revealing objects of clothing on display, such as a tesco shirt.
They wouldnt get a job at a security agency but the buggers still frustrate me. I like to play with their minds
I should go and film them at work.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Students will scan for meals
Akron school board OKs fingerprint system
By Stephanie Warsmith
Beacon Journal staff writer

Akron students will be fingerprinted beginning this fall to identify them in school lunch lines.

After a lengthy debate, school board members voted 5-2 Tuesday to spend $700,000 on a controversial, modernized cafeteria system.

Board members Rebecca Heimbaugh and Mary Stormer voted ``no,'' mirroring the concerns of parents about the cost and privacy issue involved with fingerprinting students.

www.ohio.com...

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I was down in Akron, Ohio for awhile, a friend works there as a recruter. I'll ask him about the new trend, and report the happenings. never heard of this while I was there, and that was even this year!

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 05:54 AM
link   
we don't have to start worrying just yet.

Britain has more cctv than any other country in the world, we brits are filmed an average of 15 times a day, only GOD knows how many times i get filmed a day living in the capital.

It is public paranoia that has allowed this to happen, and more paranoia will not help.

we are going to have to accept that we will be filmed constantly, and besides it helps catch criminals.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
"we are going to have to accept that we will be filmed constantly, and besides it helps catch criminals." - Peace

It's people like you who are so eager to sign away freedom for security who ruin the the world.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's people like you who are so eager to sign away freedom for security who ruin the the world Posted by Attero Auctorita

Agreed

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

The Madonna video is Madonna standing in front of a whole bunch of flags, apart from the stars and stripes which is not obscured.

I sense a suspicious link between that video and the name of her latest hit - American Life.
I have a conspiracy theory, that this song might be an attempt by Madonna to make a political statement.
Thus the title American Life. Thus the US flag.
Or is that too blatant?

I preferred "Like A Virgin" when she played the dirty girl in the bridal gown. Now I'm SURE there was some conspiracy stuff going on down there, 'cos that $hit sure as hell brainwashed me....

*sigh*

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I would rather risk a criminal beating me to death and never getting caught than to live in a world where i dont even have the privacy to scratch my ass discreetly.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I would rather risk a criminal beating me to death and never getting caught than to live in a world where i dont even have the privacy to scratch my bottom discreetly. Posted by Skadi the Evil Elf

I would go you one even better: I would propose that even in the tightest controlled society, there will STILL be crime, and the police STILL cant catch them all in time... which means you STILL have a very good chance of being found, beaten to death in a pool of your own blood, even though you sacrificed most all of your personal liberties in a hope that you would never meet such a fate.

I would prefer the freedom and privacy to take appropriate measures to defend myself and my family from evil, and would even go so far as to alleviate the state of the need or obligation to take care of that for me.... I will risk the need to defend myself, because I just straight up dont trust the police...

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
I preferred "Like A Virgin" when she played the dirty girl in the bridal gown. Now I'm SURE there was some conspiracy stuff going on down there, 'cos that $hit sure as hell brainwashed me....
*sigh*

Didn't ask, don't really wanna know...please, thankyou.

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

And someday, well forget what privacy and dignity were.

Cheer up, as long as I'm suckin air I'll make sure that never happens! Right along side of trying to convince people to reduce pollution and other planet destructive activities. I don't know about many others, but I for one recieve many letters from the Senate, one Debbie Stabenow( I like stab-me-now, LOL) gets plenty of my mail stressing my concerned expression of lake michigan and such. And I have even recieved mail from the White house, inreguards to simular interests. Although I have come to the conclusion that its all bs automated mail...I still write, and show them I'm out here. And I'm not the only one, I just happen to be more willing than most.

Has anyone read ever come to the conclusion, that many prophecies that over lap, seem to be almost too reliable?

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   

will risk the need to defend myself, because I just straight up dont trust the police...

Ah, took the words right out of my mouth. When it comes to my wellbeing and safety, anyone who claims to care and will work towards it is feeding u a line, whether it be govornments, institutions, or false freinds. The only person who truly knows and cares and can provide for your well being is you!

Cheer up, as long as I'm suckin air I'll make sure that never happens! Right along side of trying to convince people to reduce pollution and other planet destructive activities. I don't know about many others, but I for one recieve many letters from the Senate, one Debbie Stabenow( I like stab-me-now, LOL) gets plenty of my mail stressing my concerned expression of lake michigan and such. And I have even recieved mail from the White house, inreguards to simular interests. Although I have come to the conclusion that its all bs automated mail...I still write, and show them I'm out here. And I'm not the only one, I just happen to be more willing than most

As long as u still suck air, then I know that the NWO in whatever form you see it as has failed its objective of total human mental castration.

Has anyone read ever come to the conclusion, that many prophecies that over lap, seem to be almost too reliable?

Im not one for religious prophecies. But George Orwell, as well as whoever authored the Shadow Run game and series, might have been psychic or just very far thinking.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I dont know that George Orwell was a psychic, although there is a good deal of evidence that he was a Cabal member, and at the very least but the Cabals wet dreams to paper...

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
New anti-terrorism laws being used in cases unrelated to the war on terror... Developing...

Posted on Drugereport, no story link yet, but will post when it comes.

posted on May, 30 2003 @ 04:02 AM
link   
last summer, and we also have a "hi-speed" walkway that look like a madness of the "modern-times" (I'm refering to the Charlie Chaplin movie, because it's like our governor wanted us to be more and more productive...)

(EXtract from Le Monde, Article published on November 3, 2002 by CHRISTIANE GALUS)

To Paris, a travelator transports its passengers with 9 km/h.

Presented like fastest at the world, this new system of locomotion installed of the subway station Montparnasse poses, since its installation in July, some problems of adjustment to avoid the falls of the travellers on departure and arrival. (Note : The falls are not caused only but the speed of the walkaway but almost by the stress caused by the loudspeakers!)...

"the foot, you hold Do not raise-not with the slope" These councils, repeated on several occasions and output of a monotonic voice by loudspeakers, are intended to the travellers who borrow the new fast pavement installed in the large corridor of the Montparnasse-Bienven�e station.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join