It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher stabbed to death at Leeds school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

A female teacher has been stabbed to death at a school in Leeds.

Police said a 15-year-old male pupil at Corpus Christi Catholic College in Neville Road has been arrested.

The woman, who has not been named, was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.

Det Supt Simon Beldon, of West Yorkshire Police, described the stabbing as an "isolated incident" and said there was "no ongoing risk to pupils or staff".

Teacher stabbed to death at Leeds school

These incidents are becoming more and more common, when I was at school the worst most of my teachers ever got was a gentle ribbing and teasing from some students.

It's disgraceful that someone would inflict this trauma on someone who is simply trying to improve their students lives by teaching, doing her job.
There's been talk of metal detectors in UK schools, whilst I still don't think we're at that stage thankfully, I'm not so sure how long it will be that way, it's a slippery slope.
My thoughts go out to the students who had to witness such a horrific thing in the supposed safe environment of the school, and to the teachers family.

Hopefully this lad has everything thrown at him, though I remain skeptical.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
S & F

Wow....this is sad.

This is why I have never understood why the left like to suppose that the the solution to crimes is to simply remove the weapon.

I.E. Gun control. However, it is not the gun doing the killing; its the people. This story is a case in point- a gun was not even used.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
PRobably in bad taste. NVM
edit on Mon, 28 Apr 2014 11:31:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
When I read this news I didn't expect it to be in the UK. What a sad situation. It's very rare to hear about this sort of thing in my country. I hope it's not something that becomes more widespread.
Thoughts go out to the family.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: RichAwake
These incidents are becoming more and more common, when I was at school the worst most of my teachers ever got was a gentle ribbing and teasing from some students.

Are they? First time I've heard of a teacher being killed since that Headmaster (Phillip Lawrence) many years ago.

It's disgraceful that someone would inflict this trauma on someone who is simply trying to improve their students lives by teaching, doing her job.

Indeed it is, but without being in possession of all the facts, let's not rush to judgement. The lad might have had some mental issues, had been abused, the teacher might have been doing something untoward (it was a Catholic school...). Then again, it could just be another sad statistic in the UK teenagers affair with knives and using them to settle petty disputes.

There's been talk of metal detectors in UK schools, whilst I still don't think we're at that stage thankfully, I'm not so sure how long it will be that way, it's a slippery slope.

I don't think they are needed, although it wouldn't be the first time a single incident has been used to allow a knee jerk reaction. Bear in mind that on any given day, there are over 8 million kids in English schools alone - the vast majority are well behaved and respect their teachers (mostly
)

My thoughts go out to the students who had to witness such a horrific thing in the supposed safe environment of the school, and to the teachers family.

You me both, chap. Anyone dying in this manner is a sad waste of life. Not only that, but any kids who saw it may well be affected and the lad who has been arrested may have thrown his life away too, ruining his own family as well.

Hopefully this lad has everything thrown at him, though I remain skeptical.

Quite, but as I said above, lets not rush to judgement - too much of that around here these days. There may be mitigating factors, or he might just be a total whackjob who had it in for his teacher. Hopefully the truth will out in Court. I'm sure if he is Guilty then they will come down hard on him - times have changed since the soft touch approach of a few years ago.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RichAwake

This is a nasty incident. I remember reading last week a report on skynews which stated how many knives were being found on pupils and now today I read this. It made me think that last weeks report was a trigger for this 15 year old to do what he did today. You know... a kind of 'Mind Control' thing...

Hope they find out why he did it.

i also wonder what the next update will be on cctv and security in or around schools and soon workplaces... I can see there being more intrusion into peoples private lives... maybe even into peoples homes...
edit on CDTMon, 28 Apr 2014 13:02:47 -05000000003001x147x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

the teacher might have been doing something untoward (it was a Catholic school...). .

Quite, but as I said above, lets not rush to judgement - too much of that around here these days.

Hmmmmmm

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Absolutely Stu, agree completely. There may be mitigating circumstances, but it doesn't really change my view on it, but that's for the courts to decide.. Maybe "more and more common" was the wrong phrase, but It seems like violence in schools is on the increase, and regardless of the level of it, it needs stamping out.

What worries me is that out of 8 millions kids, the actions of a minority will over time ensure that more measures will need to be in place (knee-jerk or not), I sincerely hope our schools do not become akin to prisons in 10 years time with security, metal detectors, etc as this would be detrimental to the whole school "vibe", and wouldn't exactly feel like a place to promote personal growth and learning.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
A good example of why our gun laws are good.

Had this kid easy access to a gun, it may have been more than one teacher, possibly even students caught in the crossfire.

I hate to be the one to bring that one up in a thread, but I have no doubt someone will be along trying to explain "if the teacher had only been armed..."

It's not becoming more common, as Stumason said, it is a long time between hearing of these tragic events, horrid all the same.

Loosing ones life trying to educate the younger generation to make something of themselves is very sad indeed.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Jesus Christ!!!!!

Every time there's a stabbing the pro-gunners infiltrate the thread with their promotional views on why guns are not the enemy e.c.t......EVERYTIME!!!!!!

Stop using these threads to further your gun culture support, I'm damn sick of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Im very skeptical of all of these stories lately, ill leave that at that.

But, having said that, as someone who spent quite a while working in a middle school, I can tell you that most people have no idea how many knives and weapons are walking the school halls every day. Its very concerning.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Her name was Anne Maguire.

It's been headline news on the radio and TV due to how rare these incidents are. The last Ofsted report said it was a 'good' school and news soundbites and reported tweets from pupils describe her as a great teacher who cared about her students.

She'd just reached her 40th year of teaching at 61 and there's no suggestion or reason to imply she was anything more than a popular teacher.

40 years of teaching shouldn't end like that.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0rbital
Jesus Christ!!!!!

Every time there's a stabbing the pro-gunners infiltrate the thread with their promotional views on why guns are not the enemy e.c.t......EVERYTIME!!!!!!

Stop using these threads to further your gun culture support, I'm damn sick of it.

Who was infiltrating with pro-gun culture?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
A good example of why our gun laws are good.

Had this kid easy access to a gun, it may have been more than one teacher, possibly even students caught in the crossfire.

I hate to be the one to bring that one up in a thread, but I have no doubt someone will be along trying to explain "if the teacher had only been armed..."

It's not becoming more common, as Stumason said, it is a long time between hearing of these tragic events, horrid all the same.

Loosing ones life trying to educate the younger generation to make something of themselves is very sad indeed.

Jesus Christ!!!!!

Every time there's a stabbing the anti-gunners infiltrate the thread with their promotional views on why guns are the enemy e.c.t......EVERYTIME!!!!!!

Stop using these threads to further your anti-gun culture support, I'm damn sick of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

What the hell? This is a thread about a stabbing in the UK, we are anti-gun (for the majority) in the UK.

Nobody is sticking there nose in anywhere....if it was an American thread I would understand, but it isn't.

My point also stands......

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I disagree with this Daily Mail appraisal. When was the last time a teacher was stabbed to death in school in the UK. Not common. In fact, extremely uncommon. Very tragic, but it does not help to over sensationalise.

Regards

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: stumason

the teacher might have been doing something untoward (it was a Catholic school...). .

Quite, but as I said above, lets not rush to judgement - too much of that around here these days.

Hmmmmmm

That's the problem with text - you couldn't see my eyebrows wiggling when I said that, with my tongue in my cheek...

Catholic schools, like their CoE counterparts, are actually quite good - my elder sister went to one.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
This is a good school.....for that area. Put it this way, it isn't as bad now but a few years ago they needed doormen from 7am for the local leisure centre!

This poor lady is the first teacher killed in a classroom for decades (possibly ever in the UK). My thoughts definitely go out to her friends, family and the poor students who had to witness it.

However, before we all rush to judgement, let me reiterate that this is a really sh*** area in general. Halton Moor is not a nice place - it is the sort of area that has every social issue to contend with that you get in this country. The lad in question is 15 so certainly old enough to know right from wrong but it really isn't an exaggeration to say that if he is from Halton Moor then there is every possibility that he comes from a terrible home life. And by that i mean regularly watching mum or dad inject and then mong out, etc, etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

originally posted by: 0rbital

Jesus Christ!!!!!

Who was infiltrating with pro-gun culture?

My post wasn't aimed at you Woogle, it was aimed at the likes of the second post to this thread. What you said I agree with.

new topics

top topics

join