It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strange case of the 'time travel' murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

A woman's body is found in London. DNA turns up a hit, yet the suspect apparently died weeks before the alleged victim. Here, forensic scientist Dr Mike Silverman tells the story of one of the strangest cases of his career.

It was a real-life mystery that could have come straight from the pages of a modern-day detective novel.

A woman had been brutally murdered in London and biological material had been found under her fingernails, possibly indicating that she might have scratched her attacker just before she died

www.bbc.co.uk...

A strange case indeed.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Perhaps she just didnt wash or clean her self very often?

London people are dirty!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I arranged for the nail scissors from the mortuary to be analysed and discovered not two but three separate DNA profiles were present. Further examination found DNA contamination on several other mortuary instruments but it was only ever going to present a problem when it came to fingernail scissors.

But as we are all depositing DNA everywhere we go, the significance of finding and analysing these traces will become increasingly open to interpretation unless there is sufficient DNA material present to eliminate the possibility of secondary contact or cross-contamination, or additional evidence supporting direct involvement in the crime.

BBC News...

Cross-contamination appears to be the answer to the mystery

J

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

A strange case, of cross contamination involving nail scissors, which had retained upon their blades, a sample of DNA from three subjects, despite cleaning. This lead to more rigorous methods being applied. Essentially this is a case from 1997, which highlights the difficulty of working with the increasingly precise methods and results obtained from forensic examinations of both crime scenes, and corpses.

This is not NEARLY as strange as it could be. When I read the title I thought that either we were talking about some shenanigans involving a shiv and a refrigerated truck, or Sherlock Holmes teaming up with Doctor Who to solve the murder of the Lingbherg baby by vaporisation at the hands of Daleks!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You're right people. Cross contamination seems to be case. mods please dump this thread thank you.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Why? Still an interesting story. Glad they solved it!

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yes, though the title is there to stir up intrigue it did present a mystery. Having to trace those swabs back to the manufacturing process must have involved quite the investigation. Someone was very thorough and deserves a

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

It's common for people to post without reading an op but this is the first time I think I've seen someone post a thread without even reading their own source...

new topics

top topics

join