It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 Year Old Woman Shot to Death in Rural Northern Kentucky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Friends and family of a 19-year-old woman who was shot to death by a Boone County sheriff’s deputy gathered Sunday night at the spot where she died to both honor her memory and demand answers from investigators.

Samantha Ramsey died Saturday at Saint Elizabeth Medical Center in Florence after being shot four times by a Boone County Sheriff’s deputy in the 6000 block of River Road near Hebron, Ky.

Boone County Sheriff’s spokesperson Tom Scheben said deputy Tyler Brockman, 28, shot Ramsey four times after she accelerated her vehicle and struck him during a traffic stop outside a nearby field party.

19 Year Old Women Shot to Death in Rural Northern Kentucky

Wow. Just wow. This one hits pretty close to home.

Apparently the woman (girl) was shot four times and killed for hitting the LEO when trying to leave a field party on Saturday night. Multiple witnesses say "Ramsey lost her life for him jumping on the hood of a young girl's car that was scared."

The LEO, Tom Scheben said on the night of the incident "Imagine that you are the deputy and you are trying to stop that car. Within seconds it is all over with. In those few seconds, this is how I have to save my life.”

So, was he trying to "stop the car" or "trying to save his life" because she ran him down?

I hope, for the mother, that the investigators do their best and tease out the truth in this situation. IMHO, the fact that multiple witnesses (including someone that was not attending the party, but was across the street) who say he jumped on the car and then fired, throws a wrench in the theory that she ran him down. Even if she did hit him with her car, did she deserve to have four bullets pumped into her and killed? Pretty sure there were other ways to resolve this situation that do not include gun fire.

Link to updated article from Cincinnati.com: Updated Information on Samantha Ramsey Shooting
edit on 28-4-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2014 by Kandinsky because: Fixed typo in title

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I really hate to say this but unless there is a video the validity of the LEO's statement has less weight than a grain of salt. To many times they are caught justifying their actions by a well made up story when the facts are totally opposite if a video is produced by a witness. All LEOs should be required to wear a video recording device that they cannot turn off or mess with.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Here is a link to a new article which seems to have updated information surrounding the shooting.

Apparently, she was shot by a different deputy, not the one in my OP, who was written about in that linked news piece.

Updated Information Regarding Shooting Death of 19 Year Old Samantha Ramsey

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I absolutely agree, they should wear lapel or collar cams in order to not only protect us, but themselves. I do hope there is some sort of video evidence that comes to light. 160 kids at a field party, all those phone, and no one has a video of the incident? I'd wager that there is one out there but the owner is either too afraid to come forward or doesn't realize that they have it on video.

By all accounts, the girl seemed like a well liked, level headed, teenager who knew right from wrong. The story is still developing and I linked another article that has more updated information. This is just very sad...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
There seems to be a lot of information missing, making an informed decision rather hard to make.
I wonder how large this party was? Why did she attempt to drive around three cars that were stopped by a police officer? Were witnesses part of the 'party' crowd? Was this a routine stop, or a disturbance investigation? Drinking involved?
WAY too many unknowns to make a call.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If I was the family/friends I would rally the public and shun this copper and the department. Spread the word on Facebook and other local media. Hopefully the guy will take the hint and leave town. Plus this close to elections , the sheriffs running do not want this exploding out of control. Now is the time to really push if they are going to attempt to make change.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

The updated article stated there were approximately 160 kids at this field party. It is a rural area in N. Kentucky, so not a lot to do there and field parties are common, especially once it is warm out. Seems the police were just aware of the party, nothing indicates that they were called for a disturbance. I went to a lot of them when I was a kid, the police were never waiting for us to leave back then. However, my 20 year old daughter told me how the police always knew about large parties (probably through social media) and would lie in wait for the kids to leave in order to perform roadside sobriety tests, look for alcohol/drugs, and to arrest kids for underage consumption/open containers.

There were witnesses to this incident, that were not part of the party. There was a witness across the street who claims he also seen the LEO "jump" onto the car then fire, killing Ramsey.

I realize it is a party and that yes, kids were probably drinking, etc. That's what they do. There is no indication, yet, that Ramsey was intoxicated, just scared.

Seems this story is still developing and I will post updates as they become available. This is just so sad and, right now, seems senseless to me. If she did accelerate and try to run the LEO down with her vehicle, then it is what it is. However, I can think of ten other things that could have been done that do not include lethal force. They knew that they were dealing with a bunch of kids, not violent ex-cons or thugs. Kids.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
There seems to be a lot of information missing, making an informed decision rather hard to make.
I wonder how large this party was? Why did she attempt to drive around three cars that were stopped by a police officer? Were witnesses part of the 'party' crowd? Was this a routine stop, or a disturbance investigation? Drinking involved?

It seems this story is going viral...Maybe Ms. Ramsey's death will not be in vain, but a catalyst for change?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

So this guy is in a "life treathening" situation, where he dont have time to jump for his life, but enough time to grap his weapon and fire 4 shots trough the windshield?? Sound very suspect to me, a very sad story indeed

Peace

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Because she was probably intoxicated and didn't want to get a drunk driving charge and did something rash and stupid under the influence. But nothing worthy of death.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

It seems this story is going viral...Maybe Ms. Ramsey's death will not be in vain, but a catalyst for change?

While I understand the sentiment, people's deaths arent really catalysts. The universe is fed up with martyrs. That is a dark side concept. All unjust deaths are in vain, and nothing makes up for them.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

While that very well could be the case, there is no evidence that she was intoxicated, just scared, according to the other three occupants in the car. She may very well have been intoxicated, but if she did not run the LEO down with her car, as multiple witnesses are stating, and he did, in fact jump onto her vehicle and then fired FOUR fatal shots because she was going around the already stopped cars, that's a problem.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It looks like a psychotic law enforcement officer hyped up on steroids thinking he is in a movie, seeing someone acting as of they were attempting to avoid their field sobriety test trap, took out his sidearm, and heroically jumped onto the hood, immediately taking out the perpetrator who dared question his authority.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
i wonder if there turns out to be dash cam video or proven that she indeed aim the car at the deputy, how many will be still saying he shouldn't have shot her.

what was he supposed to do, let someone who tired to use a vehicle as a weapon, and run him over or kill him, continue on and maybe down the road hit or force someone else off the road and maybe KILL THEM.

what would you be saying then.

fact is very seldom and i say it again, very seldom, that people that the cops have spoted at the beginning of a call or investigation get away with out some one getting, arrested or hurt. the best you can do is not fight, that only gonna make it worse on you and maybe others. now if others want to be involved, well i guess that's all fine and dandy, so long if their actions only effect them. but i don't want to be drive along some road and get side swiped, pushed off in a ditch, t boned, rear ended, or killed by someone running from the cops, because they were scared and didn't want a DUI or to go to jail.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

did you read the article linked above? said the cop was on the side of the car and not in front of it.hard to run over someone to the side. and the girl in the back witnessed it, the car accelerated after the girl was dead due to her weighton the pedal.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This story strikes home with me in more ways than one. I live 10 minutes from the scene of this incident and my wife used to work with this young woman's mother. I refuse to jump to conclusions here and will wait until more information comes out before deciding who I think was guilty. I refuse to condemn or make excuses for either party.
I too am horrified by the current state of relations between LEO and regular citizens all over this beautiful country of ours. Far too many incidents like this one are making headlines. Unarmed individual being beaten, tasered, shot to death. Doors being kicked in on the wrong houses and the residents inside being treated less than human with no apologies given once it is realized that the cops were in the wrong. I hope this case does not turn out to be another of these. If it does I fully expect our Sheriff to step forward and bring his own deputy to justice.
I cannot speak for all of the other LEO in the US. I can only speak to what I know personally. I have lived in this county for 35 years. I have raised three of my own children here and in the process have come to know many of the active and past deputies of the Boone County Sheriff's Department. This sheriff is a class act. He stands for the rights of the citizens of my county, my commonwealth and my nation. He is a vocal supporter of the second amendment and since I know him personally I can say I consider him to be one of the better examples of leadership in law enforcement I have ever heard of. He holds his deputies to very high standards and if this turns out to be the fault of this deputy I know that the truth will come out and justice will be served.
Until we have the whole story I expect everyone to remember this poor girl's family and friends. There is a tremendous loss here whether this was an egregious act on the part of a member of law enforcement, or the panicked reaction on the part of a scared young woman. Please keep everyone involved in your thoughts. I haven't given up on the notion that there are still good cops out there. Even if this turns out to be a justified shooting I have a hard time believing this deputy wont spend the rest of his life haunted by this night.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

i wonder if there turns out to be dash cam video or proven that she indeed aim the car at the deputy, how many will be still saying he shouldn't have shot her.

Even IF he was in front, in line with her path

He could just move to the side. He wasn't pursuing a person who just committed a murder or bank robbery. Kid's partying, as it has been for decades.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck

Friends and family of a 19-year-old woman who was shot to death by a Boone County sheriff’s deputy gathered Sunday night at the spot where she died to both honor her memory and demand answers from investigators.

Samantha Ramsey died Saturday at Saint Elizabeth Medical Center in Florence after being shot four times by a Boone County Sheriff’s deputy in the 6000 block of River Road near Hebron, Ky.

Boone County Sheriff’s spokesperson Tom Scheben said deputy Tyler Brockman, 28, shot Ramsey four times after she accelerated her vehicle and struck him during a traffic stop outside a nearby field party.

19 Year Old Women Shot to Death in Rural Northern Kentucky

Wow. Just wow. This one hits pretty close to home.

Apparently the woman (girl) was shot four times and killed for hitting the LEO when trying to leave a field party on Saturday night. Multiple witnesses say "Ramsey lost her life for him jumping on the hood of a young girl's car that was scared."

The LEO, Tom Scheben said on the night of the incident "Imagine that you are the deputy and you are trying to stop that car. Within seconds it is all over with. In those few seconds, this is how I have to save my life.”

So, was he trying to "stop the car" or "trying to save his life" because she ran him down?

I hope, for the mother, that the investigators do their best and tease out the truth in this situation. IMHO, the fact that multiple witnesses (including someone that was not attending the party, but was across the street) who say he jumped on the car and then fired, throws a wrench in the theory that she ran him down. Even if she did hit him with her car, did she deserve to have four bullets pumped into her and killed? Pretty sure there were other ways to resolve this situation that do not include gun fire.

Link to updated article from Cincinnati.com: Updated Information on Samantha Ramsey Shooting

I know that road, you can get there from the airport.

Apparently this was nighttime, so obviously he didn't see who ran him over. Tragic, yes. Psychotic cop? No, I wouldn't think so.

I would also assume that if it were night and if he were hit by her, of course it may appear he jumped on her car. We weren't there, let's not jump to conclusions.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeargh
This story strikes home with me in more ways than one. I live 10 minutes from the scene of this incident and my wife used to work with this young woman's mother. I refuse to jump to conclusions here and will wait until more information comes out before deciding who I think was guilty.

I know the area also. I am with you, not jumping to conclusions.

It was at night, and maybe people don't realize how dark it can get in those rural areas, especially in wooded parts. I am sure he didn't specifically target that girl out of all the kids there.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

did you read the article linked above? said the cop was on the side of the car and not in front of it.hard to run over someone to the side. and the girl in the back witnessed it, the car accelerated after the girl was dead due to her weighton the pedal.

yea comments made by people who were pissed at the cop and covering their and her a@@ that were inside the car, sounds like a made up story. and besides she was in the back seat and could not say for sure if it was dead weight or if wasn't.
dead weight on a gas pedal and car just happened to be put accidentally put in reverse. please in order to place car of the last fifty years in reverse, you have to pull the shifter back if on the column, or over if on the floor for a automatic, it just doesn't go there by being hit, if it is a standard shift, the clutch has to be pushed in, you can't put it in any gear with out the trans grinding. and the chance sof dead weight on a gas pedal are just about impossible, this ant the movies.

just wait for the dash cams.
edit on 28-4-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join