It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt: Court sentences 683 Morsi supporters to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
news.in.msn.com...

Cairo: An Egyptian court on Monday sentenced 683 alleged Islamists, including Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed Badie to death, a lawyer and prosecutor said.

The defendants sentenced were accused of involvement in the murder and attempted murder of policemen in the southern Minya province on August 14, the day police killed hundreds of ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi's supporters in clashes in Cairo

This ruling just came down not too long ago. I was pretty shocked at the number of people sentenced to death. 683? Holy heck. Those in power currently in Egypt are trying to crack down as much as possible. (Note : Not all of the 683 are in jail currently, most are out on bail or on the run)

However, there's looks like there may be a chance that these 683 people may have the opportunity to serve life sentences.

The hearing has come under the spotlight after the judge, Said Yousef Sabry, sentenced an earlier batch of 529 defendants to death in just two sessions last month. That verdict is open to appeal, but has outraged the United Nations and human rights groups.

The latest reports say 492 of those 529 sentences have been reversed, commuting most of the death sentences to life in prison

I remember watching the first protests that broke out when there was the uprising against Mubarak. That really wasnt too long ago, 2011 I believe. Fast forward to today and Egypt has had 2 presidents ousted in 3 years, tons of bloodshed and protests in the streets, and the court just recently sentencing over 1000 Morsi supporters to death.
edit on 28-4-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

What is sad is the fact both sides of the coin has had this position. The objections raised now by one group was reversed before the second change in government.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Alleged Islamists... thats almost funny. But seems to me the Muslims have no problem with killing people they do not like or whose lifestyles the find immoral. or offensive. So Now they find themselves in that group, aww shucks.

join