It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Referendums - The Answer?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I think you'll find Swiss politics very different (and very serious) compared to ours UK Wizard.

What i meant was the Swiss uses Referedums

Seriously try it.
It would be an experience you would (I imagine) enjoy (but probably just the once!
) and it would certainly give you a great insight into politics from the ground in the UK.

I was thinking of doing so, guess which party

------------

I case i've not put my idea across correctly, i don't mean for Britain to be ruled through continous referendums, but to have public votes on very important matters such as EU membership, fox hunting, death penalty etc

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
What i meant was the Swiss uses Referedums

- I know you did, but the context of how they conduct their politics is very very different to ours, is what I meant.

I was thinking of doing so, guess which party

- I think it'll give you a hell of an insight.
If you're interested in politics at all I'd recommend it......just dont expect everyone to welcome you to their door!
(You'll never look at any of the party workers in the same light again.
)

------------

I case i've not put my idea across correctly, i don't mean for Britain to be ruled through continous referendums, but to have public votes on very important matters such as EU membership, fox hunting, death penalty etc

- Hmm, I still don't really like it UK Wizard. It's too populist for my liking.
I suppose it might seem OK if you think you're going to get the result you want I suppose but that isn't necessarily going to be the right result either.

I think ultimately it does undermine Parliament and our representitive democracy.
Where is the ability to scrutinise in depth and contradict if the scrutiny shows the decision erronious?

[edit on 29-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

just dont expect everyone to welcome you to their door!

but i thought everyone was nice to each other in politics, especially to Conservatives

------------

Concerning the National Referendums i can see what you mean, it has some major problems that can't be solved, it would proberly be suited to a much smaller country.

I guess i'll have to think of another way to solve British politics

[edit on 29-11-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

but i thought everyone was nice to each other in politics, especially to Conservatives

- Funnily enough if you encounter anything like my experience you'll find the actual party people mostly get on fine (except for the few who move between parties and 'defect' occassionally!).
It's not always what you expect, that's for sure.

------------

Concerning the National Referendums i can see what you mean, it has some major problems that can't be solved, it would proberly be suited to a much smaller country.

- Yeah well there's probably no 'perfect' system out there for anybody.....I'd lay serious money on it being fairly easy to find people bitching about it all no matter where or what the 'system'.

I guess i'll have to think of another way to solve British politics

- Little bit of this and a little bit of that, bear in mind it'll never be perfect no matter what, I reckon......and save several sacks of salt for those who promise easy radical quick fixes!

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Funnily enough if you encounter anything like my experience you'll find the actual party people mostly get on fine (except for the few who move between parties and 'defect' occassionally!).
It's not always what you expect, that's for sure.

Just curiously, from what you've written it sounds as if you have party campaigning experience, which party did you support?

Little bit of this and a little bit of that, bear in mind it'll never be perfect no matter what, I reckon......and save several sacks of salt for those who promise easy radical quick fixes!

I have to admit that i was drawn to UKIP for a short time, my political restraint snapped and i thought maybe a radical party such as UKIP could make a difference. Thankfully i stopped myself before it was too late and returned back to the real world of real solutions.
Although, I'm still anti-EU , but much more pro-Europe than i used to be

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Just curiously, from what you've written it sounds as if you have party campaigning experience, which party did you support?

- I have worked with a few parties.
When I lived in England I was in the Labour party and here in N. Ireland I have been involved in the local politics a little.

I have to admit that i was drawn to UKIP for a short time, my political restraint snapped and i thought maybe a radical party such as UKIP could make a difference.

- In my opinion the trouble with UKIP is that they are too 'single dimension'. Basically think ex-tories really really pi*sed off the tory party doesn't (quite) hate Europe and the EU as passionately as they.
There's more to life.

Thankfully i stopped myself before it was too late and returned back to the real world of real solutions.
Although, I'm still anti-EU , but much more pro-Europe than i used to be

- Well at least if you can appreciate why 25 countries got into it and are part of it, it's a start.

I really have problems with people who can't see anything positive about it in any way at all - or who think it has happened for really stupid reasons.....logic alone says there must be some good reasons for it and why it came to be, whether one agrees with it or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join