It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Of ATS, Do You Feel Respected Here?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I've been wondering how the ladies of ATS perceive the site. Do you feel like others treat your opinions the same as male posters? Do you feel respected?

I'm on a few forums that run the gamut from being what I consider inclusive and respectful to women, to a bit patronizing and 'let me help you little lady'. To me ATS seems to not care what gender or age or sexual orientation you are. I know I'm a bit dense though, so that's why I'm asking.

I think all the women here are rather badass and just as funny, insightful, and awesome as any male counterpart.

I read that horribly written thread about people flirting online, so now I feel bad. My intent was to be complimentary. If I've ever crossed a line I owe you an apology.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I see what you did there.

But I'm curious as well, now that you ask.

Hopefully, all feel welcome. As it should be.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
As a male member, I have no clue how they feel they are perceived.

I can only say how I view them.

Everyone here, is simply a voice.

I don't see any member as anything other than an opinion, to be considered and weighted on the merits of it and it alone.

ETA:

And as a side note Domo, I always assumed because of your cat avatar... Well... I guess my own gender bias there... and On retrospect, I now see the cat has a tie...

edit on 28-4-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Most members are respectful...but there are some that are bullies....but I' don't think they are bullies because of my gender, it's just how they are....and I say that because I think most don't know I'm a woman. You can't really tell by my member name , and I don't have an avatar....so I think most think I'm a man.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

As a male member all I can say is the women here mostly scare the hell out of me. Take no prisoners and all that stuff.

You know you females need to dial it back a notch. Where's that blueberry pie you're supposed to be making?

edit on 361am3535am22014 by Bassago because: typo

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
There has only been a couple of instances where I have felt animosity or condescension from another poster because I was female. The vast majority of time, I don't think my gender has made a bit of difference to the other posters here. Now, me being a liberal -- that's a whole different story.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

As a male member all I can say is the women here mostly scare the hell out of me.

Why? I think the women here are awesome.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: benrl

And as a side note Domo, I always assumed because of your cat avatar... Well... I guess my own gender bias there... and On retrospect, I now see the cat has a tie...

Yeah, I've gotten that before. I'm not a cat girl. I'm a dog guy. I like the picture though. It always makes me laugh. It's not a great photoshop but the cat turning it's head gets me.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I think FF can be a bit rough at times and make up for some of the guys .Maybe she balances it out lol I can only assume she get's it from her choice of hockey teams :>) I wonder if they are still in the play offs .

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
As a male member I actually have no idea when a poster is male or female. I suppose that means I base if I respect someone on their posting alone.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
As a male member I actually have no idea when a poster is male or female. I suppose that means I base if I respect someone on their posting alone.

That's how it should be done.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I've never thought about it. There's pretty much the run of the mill posters as with other sites. A lot of it is in how we take it. Writing posts leaves room for interpretation that there really isn't when speaking face to face.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I've learned over the last year or so that a lot of the more keen minds and prominent posters here are middle aged to senior women.

I was a bit surprised, but it just goes to show the great minds can be found everywhere, and everyone erroneous should think hard on what they think they know.

But personally I have not witnessed any lack of respect to any gender outside of a rant by someone who just got dumped.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Double post
edit on 28-4-2014 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
My personal opinion of ATS is that at the very least the owners and moderators strive to make this a site where women feel they are on a level field,post wise. I have not seen that anywhere else. Not in my recollection have I ever felt disrespect on the boards based on my gender. Based on my beliefs on an issue,sure,but that's a given in any debate. If anything,ATS has made me realize that I get back just as much respect as I dish out. If you want more,show more. I may not appreciate the " in the kitchen" stereotype but I can still laugh at it . As for the flirt issue,well that falls under an individuals personal preferences. I suppose it is disrepectful to some,especially if it is unwanted.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I have never felt that I was being talked to in a derogatory way due to being female.I have had people talk down to me before but thats just the kinda person they are I guess. I try not to take personal offense about it, everyone is entitled to their opinions. The price of freedom of speech is letting those that disagree with you have their say as well.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I have always felt respected here, the same as anyone else, irrespective of my gender. Not a problem on this site.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
When I first started posting in threads, I got some pretty harsh comebacks, and it was obvious I was being mistaken for a guy. I would correct them, and receive an apology for the mistake - and a much more tactfully worded difference of their opinion in the future.

The majority of men on ATS seem to be true gentlemen, treating all the gals with the utmost respect, until a 'lady' has proven herself time and again of being unworthy of that respect. I haven't seen that happen very often.....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

I read

As a male member all I can say is the women here mostly scare the hell out of me. Take no prisoners and all that stuff. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

and thought "What a wise man."
Then I read

You know you females need to dial it back a notch. Where's that blueberry pie you're supposed to be making? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

and thought "What a foolish, marked man."

(P.S. You're one of those 'gentlemen' I was referring to...
)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join