It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Billionaire Pulling the Democrats' Strings on Keystone XL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ever wonder just WHY Obama and company seems to be stalling and stammering on that Keystone XL pipeline deal ?

Aside from Warren Buffet and his trains, it looks like another influential player is involved.

Meet Mr. Tom Steyer.

He is rich and he has the real green stuff that counts too.

We know there's some genuine issues with the pipelines, but this guy is Mr. Greenjeans himself in more ways than one.

I wonder how many carbon buckyballs he has in the bank?

You’ve got to hand it to billionaire Tom Steyer. He tells Barack Obama and Harry Reid to jump, and they obediently reply: How high?

Mr. Steyer pulled off the policy coup of the year last week when the White House announced it would place the Keystone XL pipeline in regulatory purgatory for another six months at least. Mr. Steyer has promised $100 million to Democrats to beat back Republicans in the midterm elections this fall, and the campaign funds have already paid off in the scuttling of this $3 billion pipeline project. (Remember when Democrats were pro-infrastructure?) President Obama says we have to determine whether it is “in the national interest.”

Mr. Steyer protested this week that he is not the Democratic party’s version of the Koch brothers, who fund efforts to promote liberty and free enterprise. Mr. Steyer says that “there are real distinctions between the Koch brothers and us,” because the Kochs personally benefit from their political advocacy, while he is donating to save the planet. Never mind that he’s a major investor in solar-energy projects that compete with fossil fuels. Let’s just say that Steyer got more than just a lousy T-shirt for his political pay-to-play investment.

Meet the Billionaire Pulling the Democrats' Strings on Keystone XL

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
When I hear about guys like this ... I say ... tax the rich!!

The bickering artificially inflates the price of gas (which the little guy pays most of the taxes on). This in turn causes an increase in everything (like iwinder's groceries). You name it.

I think the price of a gallon of gas in Venezuela is still under half a buck. Was $0.17 when I was down there a few years back.

ETA: Whoops ... my bad ... price came down to $0.06 per gallon. Source
edit on 2742014 by Snarl because: ETA

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
One minute people want to cry about Reid and the Chinese solar plant but they seem to no problem with a pipeline that will be shipping oil from a Chinese owned oil company. China now holds 100 percent of Nexen, a tar sands and shale gas company, and also has major stakes in McKay River, Dover, Long Lake and other Canadian tar sands projects. So it's ok to sell out America's independence to the Chinese when the Republicans back it but it's not ok when the Democrats back it.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just goes to show that "We The People" don't mean jack any more

The billionaires control everything, always have & always will

Dem/Rep...doesn't matter
TPTB are the ones to make the choices
--The battle of the Billionaires--

Obama/Bush/Clinton are just a power figures....a puppet as many refer them to

We're just along for the ride
Hope we don't crash....better put on those seat-belts!!

edit on 27-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Keystone benefits nobody in North America in the long term other than the Kochs. If you believe otherwise you should put on your thinking caps and do some research. This is purely a Chinese game and the Kochs get to skim off the top while everyone else gets the shaft.

As a Canadian and someone who should profit from this deal I can honestly say that Harper as the leader of this country is royally screwing not only Candians but US citizens on this pipeline. Not that it matters the "oil" is still getting shippedt Kochs refineries for Chinese markets but nobody other than big oil insiders are benefitting from it.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
One minute people want to cry about Reid and the Chinese solar plant but they seem to no problem with a pipeline that will be shipping oil from a Chinese owned oil company. China now holds 100 percent of Nexen, a tar sands and shale gas company, and also has major stakes in McKay River, Dover, Long Lake and other Canadian tar sands projects. So it's ok to sell out America's independence to the Chinese when the Republicans back it but it's not ok when the Democrats back it.

I was not aware the Chinese owned that company. Do you have a link? If that is true I may have changed my position on the pipeline, I thought it was Canadian owned.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Keystone benefits nobody in North America in the long term other than the Kochs. If you believe otherwise you should put on your thinking caps and do some research. This is purely a Chinese game and the Kochs get to skim off the top while everyone else gets the shaft.

As a Canadian and someone who should profit from this deal I can honestly say that Harper as the leader of this country is royally screwing not only Candians but US citizens on this pipeline. Not that it matters the "oil" is still getting shippedt Kochs refineries for Chinese markets but nobody other than big oil insiders are benefitting from it.

The Koch's benefit? If that is true, its funny Dirty Harry Greed hasn't pointed that out yet. I would love to see 40,000 new jobs, even if it involved the Koch Bros, at least they are making jobs. I do not like supporting Chinese subsidized companies and I am totally against the Chinese foreigners owning land in the US.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Doesn't matter. A sell-out is a sell-out.

I don't care which label people want to put on it. That is nothing more than a red herring.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: govmule

According to the ever helpful Wikipedia:

Nexen is a Canadian oil and gas company based in Calgary, Alberta. On February 25, 2013, Nexen became a wholly owned subsidiary of Beijing-based CNOOC Limited.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

It's far worse than that! 3,000 short term jobs on initial construction, 300 long term on maintenance and monitoring. Canadian owned company doing construction and maintenance ( terrible environmental record to boot) chinese production and end use with only byproduct remaining in conus ( low grade coke, waste). This all running through the prime fresh water aquifer for the central and western US.

I'm no Obama fan but IMHO this is the best decision he's made since being elected. I'd post links but it's a nightmare on this tablet. Maybe someone would be willing to help out.

ETA: Forgot to mention the nasty fact of "Eminent Domain" hope you don't own any property on the proposed route.
edit on 4/27/2014 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't know how much more proof you need that the Oligarchy is in charge. Now, I don't like the idea of this pipeline much. But I wish billionaires would butt out.

Tax, tax, tax, them. 99%

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I stand against the Pipeline, and with "The Cowboy Indian Alliance". rejectandprotect.org...

While some people are worried about helping one man break the law, others are helping fight to enforce the rights of others.

Native American communities and ranchers have joined in the nation's capital in a historic "Cowboy Indian Alliance" to stop the proposed TransCanada Keystone XL pipeline that directly threatens their environment. Included among them are First Nations representatives, hailing from Alberta, Canada, where indigenous communities are invoking treaty rights in a bid to halt dangerous tar sands production on their land.

"As First Nations people, we abide by natural law, and there is nothing natural about a people dying from cancer and suffering from respiratory illnesses caused by tar sands production,” said Crystal Lameman, a member of the Beaver Lake Cree Nation.

www.commondreams.org...
edit on 27-4-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

What point are you trying to make?? Somebody somewhere owns every corporation. In country out of country, the point for the pipeline is jobs, even if most are temporary being construction. It also provides a bit of competition for Buffet and the rest of the railroad boys who benefit from rail windfalls.

By the way, there's plenty of union and Democrat support for this pipeline as well....

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

What point are you trying to make?? Somebody somewhere owns every corporation. In country out of country, the point for the pipeline is jobs, even if most are temporary being construction. It also provides a bit of competition for Buffet and the rest of the railroad boys who benefit from rail windfalls.

By the way, there's plenty of union and Democrat support for this pipeline as well....

The point I was making was that people were crying that Reid was selling out America to the Chinese but you never hear that when the pipeline is brought up.

In the long run the pipeline will cost more jobs than the temporary ones it will create. Here a few more facts people don't seem to know about the pipeline.
1. It will be shipping the oil to a foreign tax free zone. Which means America will get no taxes from the oil and gas that is sold from there.
2.Every drop of oil and gas is for export only none will be sold here in the states.
3. It will cause gas prices mainly in the mid west to go up.
4. They want the government to give them 7 billion dollars to build it. These greedy sob's want the American taxpayer to pay for something that they will receive nothing from.
5. The company building the pipeline has one of the worst oil spill records and they want to run it through one of the largest water aquifer in America the one that our farmers use right in middle of the bread basket. If it were to get contaminated then there will very little food grown.

This pipeline will only benefit the people that own the oil companies like the Koch brothers.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

I agree, stopping the pipeline is the only thing I've agreed with Obama on. It would do nothing for the American or Canadian people except degrade the environment, probably in catastrophic fashion. The oil companie's record on spills from pipeline should speak for itself. It rarely gets any press but it happens quite often.
edit on 27-4-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

In the case of Reid, the issue is he's personally making millions, if the information is correct, as a public official on sales of property he doesn't own. That's bribery.

Next the oil is Canadian, no tax revenue would be forthcoming to the U.S. in any event as the oil would otherwise be shipped to China via the Northern Gateway project which puts a pipeline from Alberta to Prince Rupert for export to China.

Saying that a pipeline would somehow increase prices anywhere in the U.S. is stretching it beyond credibility. ( Not mentioning the cost of gas has soared under Obama.) You might address that issue as it's already occurring instead of some potential in the future as an anti-pipeline or anti-right argument.

Koch brothers? I thought in your post you said it was Chinese owned? Positioning? Koch brothers, Soros or now this guy.

No shortage of big influence. If we're not getting away from that any time soon, then I'll go with jobs for American workers over the other guys.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Koch brothers? I thought in your post you said it was Chinese owned? Positioning? Koch brothers, Soros or now this guy.

The company in Canada is owned by the Chinese the company here in the states is owned by the Koch brothers.

Saying that a pipeline would somehow increase prices anywhere in the U.S. is stretching it beyond credibility. ( Not mentioning the cost of gas has soared under Obama.) You might address that issue as it's already occurring instead of some potential in the future as an anti-pipeline or anti-right argument.

The oil companies themselves said it would cause prices to go up. Also the president has absolutely nothing to do with the price of gas. The oil speculators are the ones responsible for the price of oil and gas to keep going up. Take a guess to started the oil speculation business? None other than the Koch brothers.

From Inventing Oil Derivatives To Deregulating The Market

October 6, 1986: First oil derivative is introduced to Wall Street by traders at Koch. Koch Industries executive Lawrence Kitchen devised the “first ever oil-indexed price swap between Koch Industries and Chase Manhattan Bank.” At the time, such derivatives had been limited to currency markets, and the shift of creating a synthetic financial instrument based on the value of crude oil was revolutionary. For an agreed-upon period, an oil swap is a contract where one party makes payments based on a fixed oil price, and the other party makes payments back based on the changing spot price of oil. In July of 2009, EnergyRisk magazine, a publication for commodity traders, posted a piece exploring the very first oil derivatives and Koch’s role in developing them.

edit on 27-4-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Sure, sure EPA regulations, ever increasing under Obama, the restrictions on exports, the stalling of fracking on federally controlled land has nothing to do with the policies of this administration and have nothing to do with current oil prices...UHUH. Must be an election coming...

Regulatory restriction plays into the oil companies hands by driving up the cost of existing supplies. The big oil companies, not to mention Russia and Saudi Arabia are hurt by the fracking by smaller companies.

Please provide the name of the company the controls the XL Pipeline interests , Por Favor.

Even if that's true, it doesn't change my mind one wit. As I said, there's plenty of power vested interests on both sides.( Which you seem to ignore?) It does create jobs and, by the way, those oil companies that say that prices will go up have a vested interest in NOT having a potential increase in U.S. supply as that would drive their prices down...Hello?

I suspect, zero proof, that some day that pipeline (XL) might be intended for southbound water that now flows unused north into the Arctic Ocean....another possible "vested interest" as yet unnamed....

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
When I hear about guys like this ... I say ... tax the rich!!

The bickering artificially inflates the price of gas (which the little guy pays most of the taxes on). This in turn causes an increase in everything (like iwinder's groceries). You name it.

I think the price of a gallon of gas in Venezuela is still under half a buck. Was $0.17 when I was down there a few years back.

ETA: Whoops ... my bad ... price came down to $0.06 per gallon. Source

Gas is so cheap in places like Venezuela and Saudi Arabia because they USE their own oil and gas. The United States is #3 in oil production, but we export it to places like China for the inflated rate of around $100/barrel. The problem isn't supply and demand. It's collusion and profit.

After gas went above $4/gallon, I was sure there would be protests or something. But somehow people believed that the unnecessary wars in the Middle east made it so that most just shrugged and said meh.

Why is a pipeline even needed except for more exporting?

(Also, at least in Venezuela, the government controls the industry...in the US, its the other way around)

No matter the supply, we will never see gas prices less than around $3/gal. And it isn't the taxes. The oil companies simply know they can charge it without any difference in driving habits.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

In our current state of political affairs, I am not a bit surprised when some one is found to have their own "agenda" in mind when making a contribution to a party or candidate. That is the best reason we should all keep ourselves informed about our politicians and their associations.
I do have one question about this pipe line though.
When everything is considered; the price, the possible pollution, the maintainance. Would it not be simpler and cheaper to build a refinery close by rather than pipe this material all the way to the Gulf of Mexico? There is already a pipe which goes to the Canadian west coast and it is always being repaired. From what I have read, this tar-sand is almost like peanut buttr with sand in it. This would be like pushing sand paper through the pipe. It will erode it pretty quickly and you can never know where until it springs a leak. So we could have spills a mile long before anyone knew it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join