It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook dot Coma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You ever watch people go on a website, all expression vacates their face, they become zombies to the outside world.

I think it's strange, really.

Saps the brain, drains the will, steals the user's purity of essence. Can't be helped.

Maybe a solar flare or an EMP would benefit some folks. Disconnect them from the grid...

Of course, I'm nature's own hypocrite, so I have no room to talk.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
facebook is corrupting our precious bodily fluids.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Facebook is a fools paradise.

I once held an account for almost a week. It took five days for me to run.

For me ATS is more addicting.

Without sounding like a dick why do you care how much time another person spends on a website?
edit on 27-4-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Completely agree.
I suffer of it myself, it's pretty much a disease or addiction. And having tried to wilfully 'disconnect' with no success, sometimes I wish a well placed EMP would cleanse all the digital garbage cluttering our atmosphere.
But that's just my mood today.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Glued to ATS is much different though, right?

Unless you're outside doing fun activities... It's all the same dude.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
Facebook is a fools paradise.

I once held an account for almost a week. It took five days for me to run.

For me ATS is more addicting.

Without sounding like a dick why do you care how much time another person spends on a website?

I don't. I am projecting. I spend too much time on it. No human is ever truly completely altruistic in their intentions.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yea me and the wife both got off too much drama, I've been Facebook free for two weeks and feel mentally healthier!

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Grifter42

This probably explains it somewhat: www-scf.usc.edu...

The article focuses on the ADHD component of dopamine activity. However, dopamine tends to have a "cognitive enhancing effect" that rewards specific activities (ie learning or discovery). The problem with the social network thing is that it's constantly kicking off ye olde dopamine in the brain and may actually create a dopamine dysfunction within the brain. It induces compulsive behavior and may actually dull it down.

www.theatlantic.com...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

And that should explain everything really. The internet and social media in particular are altering our brain chemistry (not for some as the chemical cocktail sometimes differs but for many).
edit on 27/4/14 by WhiteAlice because: reduced the amount of brains. lol

edit on 27/4/14 by WhiteAlice because: really should learn to proofread myself before hitting the enter button....

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I guess not. Altruistic is a very cool word I had to look up its definition.

I'm not judging you or your thread I am wondering why you implied you are more concerned about other people being addicted to FB or the internet than yourself.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Glued to ATS is much different though, right?

Unless you're outside doing fun activities... It's all the same dude.

Facebook is just reading peoples bs, ATS is reading peoples bs but it may also have some truth to it and actually educate you a bit. They are not the same, to me anyway.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Strange, i called somebody a Facebook zombie only 20 mins ago. I've never used the expression before.

Been free of fb now for 18 months, i love it.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grifter42
You ever watch people go on a website, all expression vacates their face, they become zombies to the outside world.

I think it's strange, really.

It's even stranger to watch people go on a web site. Think about it. At least they are going on a web site to some purpose: entertainment, information, or to revel in denying ignorance. But you're WATCHING someone go on a website.

That's just kind of creepy.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I can tell when people are on-line while talking to them on the phone. They just shut up and their is nothing but quiet. Often I'll hang up on them. Once though, in a evil spirit, I went outside with my .45 and said, "Hell, nobody cares anymore." and shot in the air.

The guy on the other end went spastic.

I let him know after a few moments though that I was still alive. And not to call me unless he had something to actually say. If I am going to be on the phone, I expect conversation...not dead air.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I notice that a lot not just with face book but whatever they are doing on their phone... I do not have a face book, twitter, myspace, or any other account. People were a lot happier back in the 80's and 90's before we had smartphones and people would actually talk to each other instead of texting.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hate when talking with someone and they get an alert from fb and go to read it. To stop in the middle of a face to face interaction because someone posted yet another "deep thought" about why their boyfriend sucks is absurd.

"It could be important!"

No. It really couldn't.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Same thing happens when someone reads a book. Their attention goes to what they are focusing on.

new topics

top topics

join