It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dome homes are anti tornado, fire, quake, rot, emp, termite, etc

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Haha, that's true, though there are SO many ways to design ones dome.

just google image "fantastic dome houses'' and even ''dome home interiors''.
They are just mouth watering.

It's the old adage, after all: never judge a book by its cover.

We miss so many amazing things (and people) by doing so.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

Yeah, I couldn't remember if it was a home/shelter, but yes, definitely shelter. It just goes to show how strong these are.

It's kind of what sold me, then seeing what else they prevent, it's amazing. Definitely worth the money to buy one.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

I'll check that out! Sounds amazing to me just by reading your description.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: benrl
Pricings not bad,

I looked into these awhile ago Concreate canvas they run around 25k, unfinished.

So 25 for a finished concrete domes not bad.

Wife an I have been reasearching Tiny houses, Earthsheltered homes, and things like concrete domes.

Seems 25k tends to run the entry point if you don't want to do all the building yourself.

They look like they would do the job but the ten years lifespan bothered me a little. Does that mean you have to buy another one after ten years or do you just put another layer of concrete on it? Have you looked into the earthships?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It's funny you posted that. I lived right by that community up near taos and as nice and cool as the earth ships look they are made with tires and they off gas toxins as they age. I have always been intrigued by self sustainable houses and plan on building one after school is finished this year...that cal earth stuff is pretty nice but back breaking work. I think my favorite so far are the single pour concrete domes but on a budget with some friends to help you could build a nice little house with sandbags dirt and elbow grease.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Maybe a "stackwall "house would be the one to build....they are made of firewood pieces mortared together like bricks ...there are ones two thousand years old still lived in in Greece....
I think you could make a dome but it would be a little like making a hemispherical. roman arch.....Would be tougher than boiled owl poo when finished though.....

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread. I've been wanting to build a Monolithic-style dome for quite a few years now, and it's great to see people more aware of it. The problem people have in building these is getting the money to do so - property appraisals being what they are, you can't hardly get a loan to build one of these homes.

As an Oklahoma resident, I want to say I'm irked about how our schools are built. Monolithic structures are absolutely more energy and cost-efficient, as well as being far safer than any conventional structure. Some of our local school systems have learned this, but Moore has not. I've tried to advocate for this type of school - or at the very least as a gymnasium that doubles as a storm shelter - without much success. It's frustrating that people care more about perceived aesthetics than what a home is supposed to be - a shelter against the elements.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

I hear you on that. You'd think if enough of the public make an outcry, something would work in your favor, you know?

I just read up on those how they are even blast proof; 18 wheeler semi being slammed into one or dropped on one mayyyyyyy crack the outer wall but the inside is still fine as the day it was made.

What normal house will do that?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

They look like they would do the job but the ten years lifespan bothered me a little. Does that mean you have to buy another one after ten years or do you just put another layer of concrete on it? Have you looked into the earthships?

That was my thought for the Canvas bag homes, I emailed them a query on it and the person I talked to stated that was the time span they felt comfortable going with. But that Concrete would last some time beyond that...

Also Earthships are cool, I particularly like their vertical windmill design.

I was thinking of getting some at some point in the future.

We are working on developing a small parcel, trying to get self sufficient.

Smaller housing, off grid etc.

Zoes Cottage is one we are thinking on settling on for a small structure home (company in oregon) , wife really, if it where up to me we would go concrete bunker not tiny house...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Get enough of us ATSers together, and we could build one out of tinfoil!

That would rock...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Also from Monolithic:

For its 400 students and 30 teachers, Grand Meadow’s approved plan calls for five Monolithic Domes – 81,000 square feet for classrooms, media center, gymnasium, cafeteria and multipurpose center with a stage.

“I think our greatest challenge has been making folks understand that this is clearly a better way to build,” Klaehn said. "I think it’s just a matter of letting them see how well they’re built. This will be the first Monolithic Dome school in Minnesota, and anyone who knows anything at all about our weather will realize that they’re the answer to our cold winters.”

I have driven past this school and it is definitely different but IMHO in a good way. The school had it's grand opening in 2002 and AFAIK everything is still running smoothly.

Supt. Brown said the heating bill from February, 2001 – the last winter in the old building – was $28,000. Fast forward five years and the heating bills have doubled; therefore, a current utility bill would be around $56,000!

These days, the bill is about $11,000 a month. The Superintendent said when energy costs went up awhile back there was a “spike” in the bill, to approximately $12,000 – $12,500; but it came back down to around $11,000, where it remains year-around.

That is an awesome amount of savings just on heating/cooling thanks to the super insulated dome and using geothermal power.
edit on 4/27/14 by thov420 because: added pics

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Greetings,

I'm glad some one is talking about this issue. I've been advocating domes for about 40 yrs.

Moisture can be a problem if the structure is not vented properly. One way moisture can form in the winter along the inside base area is the result of the moisture on the inside of shell is due to the air moving away from the surface at the base. This is similar to moisture on the bottom sash of windows.

You cannot be prevented from building a dome any where you want. There have been court cases won by invoking freedom of speech and religious convictions. Cities,towns, etc do not want to go to court.

You can build a wood frame dome that will also be safe. The best one I know of is econodome.com
These can be built on slab or crawl space, plus land, for as little $30.00 /sf , TURN KEY . They feature a strong(tested), easy to erect building method that simplifies building. and, no shingles.

By the way a wood dome should be insulated with radiant barriers for maximum efficiency.

The acoustics in a dome cancel out at the center of the dome. In other words a dead spot. You can also hear a radio at low volume thru out the house. So if you don't want the kids to know what you're talking about, stand in the center of the dome.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I build homes for a living and when I build my own custom home I might just go with something like a dome. Good thread

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

I was looking into things like these awhile back, I definitely want an underground home. I had the thought of using concrete blocks of some kind, in dome shapes, and burying them, save for the roofs. I don't care what the neighbors think, as I would build it someplace where something of that nature would be easily overlooked. I imagined that the only building that would be above ground would be the garage, with access to the rest of the structure from within.

These remind me of that, only a bit better designed (of course). Oddly, they look a lot like I pictured. Good spot.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
These guys are out of Canada and build really cool domes.
Eco Dome Canada

They use a metal reinforced ring-beam and an insulated airform covered with shotcrete.

Domes are a natural heat sink which allows heating and cooling with about 30% less energy.
Awesome structures everyone should have one

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
They're volumetrically inefficient. And they're no more inherently "EMP proof" than any other shielded structure.

You want a house that'll last and is energy efficient, you want an ICF house made the right way. It's amazingly energy efficient, quiet, and looks like a house. Plus you don't have to waste the first three feet of floor space coming away from the wall like a dome.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well for one reason, MANY municipalities or neighborhood associations wouldnt let you build or install one of these dome homes.

Furthermore, Why wouldnt we just build our houses under a mound of dirt? I mean, homes that are enclosed in a 'dome' or a doleman of dirt would do everything the dome homes do, plus they wouldnt need to be cooled and heated to the degree that most homes do. ALSO they would provide either habitat for animals on top of them, or ample dirtlayer to produce crops to actually feed the people within the house, you could have rain collection at the bottom of the dirt hill, etc.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I never heard of ICF houses
just as I'd never heard of domes until 2 days ago.
Are they as guaranteed tornado, quake, flooding, rotting, mold, termite, projectile and blast proof and do they lower energy bills by 3/4 as well as domes? If so, that sounds like just as great of an option.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slickinfinity
I build homes for a living and when I build my own custom home I might just go with something like a dome. Good thread

I really like the idea of living in a dome home, regular square rooms are just too boring for me - I'm used to living in attic apartments and Victorian homes with lie-ins (odd angled walls). Having wide windows is a must-have, along with a panoramic view. Chemosphere house is the ultimate dome home:

www.dailyicon.net...

There there is mole manor in England. It is underground and has a small central glass dome that lets the sunlight in.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Greetings,

The econodome has solved that problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join