It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Clippers Owner to GF - 'Don't Bring Black People To My Games'

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
Who gets the 2.5?
I always wonder than about these types of things....im sure the league will absorb it, like they do all fines, but wouldnt it make a much better point if it was given to a group to help fight bigotry?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Think he said it is going back into charities the clippers are involved in

link   

originally posted by: Trapjaw
Ya reply to: [post=17860588]captaintyink
This what Tsn is reporting ...www.tsn.ca...
Looks like the NBA is asking the board of governors to excersise authority and forcing him to sell the Clippers.

This should be interesting.

Putting racism aside, I am looking forward to the comments on whether forcing him to sell is justified.

link   
CBS NBA Bans Sterling For Life

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday Clippers owner Donald Sterling will be suspended for life and fined $2.5 million in wake of his alleged racist remarks.

Silver spoke to the press at 11 a.m. news conference from New York, stating he will “do everything in my power” to force sale of Clipper.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Think he said it is going back into charities the clippers are involved in

OH TY

link   

They should donate it.

Anyways...it's all a crisis control stunt. With a league that's mostly African American what else could they do?It's a public relations nightmare.

link   

Well, justified or not, the other owners have the right to force anyone out, based on the league bylaws.

Im not sure the exact number, but all it really takes is a certain % approval and they can force anyone out, for just about any reason.

Personally, Id rather see the fans and sponsors force him out. They are where he makes his money. They are the ones who should stand up and be heard.

edit on 29-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

They should donate it.

Anyways...it's all a crisis control stunt. With a league that's mostly African American what else could they do?It's a public relations nightmare.

Can you really force someone to pay up?

I am just curious about all this, legally does he have to do anything they say?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

Well, justified or not, the other owners have the right to force anyone out, based on the league bylaws.

Im not sure the exact number, but all it really takes is a certain % approval and they can force anyone out, for just about any reason.

Personally, Id rather see the fans and sponsors force him out. They are where he makes his money. They are the ones who should stand up and be heard.

Yeah, I just wonder about all of it.
edit on 013030p://bTuesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

LoL! He's a skeezy lawyer, I don't expect him to honor any agreements, at least not without a nasty fight and not in this decade.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

needs 3/4, 22 votes, approval from the owners to get don out of there. And they will get it, all the other owners are the same way and don't need the guy that got caught hanging around and reminding every one the "culture" those old white guys live in

Oh and the 2.5 mill is going into anti discrimination programs, just heard them re say that

link   

Who gets the 2.5?
I always wonder than about these types of things....im sure the league will absorb it, like they do all fines, but wouldnt it make a much better point if it was given to a group to help fight bigotry?

Like Jessie "Shakedown Artist" Jackson? LOL. If he broke the NBA rules and the NBA fines him, it should go to the NBA. Giving it to shrill activists will just encourage a war on free speech and "reverse" bigotry.

link   

Legally he does have to do what they say. There are agreements in place when NBA teams are bought.

A good example: The Milwaukie Bucks were recently sold. As part of the sale it was stipulated that the new owner could not move the team out of that city.

Its a private league, and to be part of it (even as an owner) you have to play by their rules.

Though Im sure lawsuits are coming.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Who gets the 2.5?

Like Jessie "Shakedown Artist" Jackson? LOL. If he broke the NBA rules and the NBA fines him, it should go to the NBA. Giving it to shrill activists will just encourage a war on free speech and "reverse" bigotry.
Wow buddy, yooure the only one talking about Jackson here. Seems to be your issue, not anyone elses.

There are plenty of VERY real organizations out there that do a lot of VERY good things.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

They should donate it.

It probably is part of the contract he signed and her would legally have to do it based on civil, contract law, not criminal law.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yes they do, do you remember that strike a couple years back?
That is what lead to a lot of what you see is getting handed down right now.
Owners are not untouchable anymore, that is what the players wanted and why the new CBA needed to happen

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

LoL! He's a skeezy lawyer, I don't expect him to honor any agreements, at least not without a nasty fight and not in this decade.

Oh he is a lawyer? I didn't know, I just don't know how all this works.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

They should donate it.

It probably is part of the contract he signed and her would legally have to do it based on civil, contract law, not criminal law.

I see. ok

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm surprised they had the balls to do a lifetime ban. He will still get paid handsomely when he sells

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Who gets the 2.5?

Wow buddy, yooure the only one talking about Jackson here. Seems to be your issue, not anyone elses.

There are plenty of VERY real organizations out there that do a lot of VERY good things.

No, considering both Jackson and Sharpton inculcated themselves into the issue the other day as the self proclaimed representatives off all black people, they are a reasonable part of the discussion of the subject.

What I see are three issues.

1). Someone violated the tenants of his agreement with a private organization so they can do whatever they want to him within the constraints of their contractual agreement.

2). A shrill double standard of racism that only applies one way that is put in ironic sharp relief by Jackson and Sharpton (two very notable racists) coming on television to condemn his racism whereas their racism has been very profitable for them.

3). A groupthink and intolerance of thoughts we disagree with in the general population.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join