It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LA Clippers Owner to GF - 'Don't Bring Black People To My Games'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

It was not political trolling, it was some sarcasm and truth. This is not something that he needs to weigh in on. It is something that the NBA needs to deal with. It is like when he made his comments about the 'Redskins'.

If the players want solidarity they can all not show for their game. Take a pay cut. Stand up to the 'racism'. But you know what, they won't and they will take their check from the 'white devil' just like the NAACP did. HOW important it is to them? Reverend King gave his life to try to change...how about these guys give up a payment on one of their rides to make a stand.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
But things like this are NOT racist right?

Link

Knicks executive and former player Larry Johnson had a decidedly different but still strong reaction to the racially insensitive remarks Clippers owner Donald Sterling is alleged to have made.
On Saturday night, Johnson tweeted: “Black people your Focusing on the wrong thing. We should be focusing on having our own, Own team own League! To For Self!!’’

So, should we fire him too? He want to exclude everyone except Blacks. To me that statement is just as bad as Sterling.

Not racist because he is black. Black man can't be racist right? He is just trying to push his race forward. As soon as the double standard is removed maybe this country can move forward but till then...never. It will continue to be instilled in younger generations who are not taught about being able to achieve something like Condi Rice but that the white man will always hold you down. Sad...very very sad.
edit on 04pm30pmf0000002014-04-28T12:56:58-05:001258 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs
Your statement is seriously true. Just play the dang game and stop obsessing about what color skin a person has. Geeeze .... 'get your own league' ... 'black league' .... comeon ...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
and further, if you think that the NAACP is not PISSSSSSED at this gold digger you are deluded also. She just cost them millions of dollars and if nothing else set back programs for black youth so how about a little hate for the reason...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Clearly, the BLM should descend upon him with a militarily armed force, shoot his basketball team or attempt to round them up for slaughter ... oh, and they should confiscate his land. He deserves it. He is racist.

That is the mindset of some people on this forum currently.

Now, seriously, we have to remember that there is a larger issue of a different lawsuit involved, and this may be a completely acrimonious attempt to put public opinion so squarely against him so as to bring the lawsuit favorably in the court of the other party.

I'm not saying it is or isn't, but the politics of personal destruction are being used very successfully and all too often these days. They are very powerful, too powerful, and too many people are buying them.

What you're basically saying, if i read you right, is the actual groupthink endorsement of minority report mentality.

I remember when ppl didn't CARE what you said, you had every right to say virtually anything, as long as you accepted the consequences.

Now we're not talking about reacting to what ppl SAY, but what ppl THINK.

Welcome to the next level of political correctness.

That scares me more than some rich racist. (If he is in fact a racist)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

It was not political trolling, it was some sarcasm and truth. This is not something that he needs to weigh in on. It is something that the NBA needs to deal with. It is like when he made his comments about the 'Redskins'.

If the players want solidarity they can all not show for their game. Take a pay cut. Stand up to the 'racism'. But you know what, they won't and they will take their check from the 'white devil' just like the NAACP did. HOW important it is to them? Reverend King gave his life to try to change...how about these guys give up a payment on one of their rides to make a stand.

The fact that you say he has had more of a reaction to this ( a brief statement) than to russia, which has dominated the political headlines for weeks, is absolutely political trolling. As I said, I am no fan of his, I didnt vote for him, but you are looking for any reason to drag his name in here.

As far as the players go, its not about them. Its about the fans. That is where this man makes his money. That is who can hurt him. If people really are outraged, they need to show it in ticket sales and revenue.

To say that it is on these players, who, for the most part, have no choice what team they are on, to walk away from the thing they have worked their entire life for because of the comments doesnt make sense to me. That wouldnt hurt Sterling at all. It would hurt the league, and the players.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Then the players should not wear their shirts the way they did and shut up and play.

It was not political trolling, it is the fact he should stay out of it like you said the players should.

Lastly, why nothing about the NAACP I posted?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Used car dealership chain CarMax and airline Virgin America jumped ship as sponsors of the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday as advertisers pondered their partnerships with the team in the wake of racist remarks allegedly made by owner Donald Sterling.

State Farm, Kia Motors America and Red Bull have condemned the alleged remarks, and said they will suspend their sponsorship and advertising obligations, closely monitor the situation and assess their options.

espn.go.com...

The NBA might not have to do anything if this keeps up. Sterling won't be able to make money without the sponsorships from the corporations. This is just a start, and I don't know how long this will keep up, but I have to think this has Sterling quite a bit worried. He may have forced himself out by chasing off all his money making opportunitites.

It remains to be seen if these five will have much impact or if others will follow suit, obviously, and this may have little impact.

One other thing that strikes me as odd. I've known for twenty years, at least, what a crappy human being Donald Sterling was. I'm a sports fan so I follow this crap but seriously, how did the rest of the world not know? Dude's been sued before, this should have been public knowledge years ago. Maybe it's just me but I find all this somewhat ridiculous. Guy has made quite a large sum off this team over the years and that money will not be taken away from him. Sterling has been a ass for years and gets to profit off of it?

The comish's presser tomorrow ought to prove interesting. See what the new guy is capable of. Three months on the job and he gets this storm. I don't envy Adam Silver right now.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Then the players should not wear their shirts the way they did and shut up and play.
Why not? They did "shut up": they did a silent protest, in a way that allowed them to "shut up and play". It was quite brilliant, really.

It was not political trolling, it is the fact he should stay out of it like you said the players should.
You know what you said. You know why you said it. All it was was an reach to find something negative to say about him.

Lastly, why nothing about the NAACP I posted?
Because it is irrelevant (and for the record, I did speak about it in one of my first posts in the thread). The NAACP has nothing to do with the NBA. Therefore, it has nothing to do with this.
edit on 28-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

I wont be surprised, though, if his players and coaches go to him and say they will not play for him next season. Whats he going to do then?

Probably sue them for breach of contract and not pay them while forcing them to sit out the length of their contract with him.......It's not like they didn't know he was a racist old douche bag when they signed contracts with him. Pretty much everyone in the league knew who he was and how he acted.

It will be hard for Chris Paul to walk away from 88 Million and not play for the next 4 years...........

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Probably sue them for breach of contract and not pay them while forcing them to sit out the length of their contract with him.
Cant. Players hold out all the time. the NBA Players Association protects their right to do so.

.It's not like they didn't know he was a racist old douche bag when they signed contracts with him.
Most of the players didnt sign with him, most were drafted by the team or traded to the team. Not a lot of choice there.

Pretty much everyone in the league knew who he was and how he acted.
Exactly why the new commisioner cannot, and will not, let it slide.

It will be hard for Chris Paul to walk away from 88 Million and not play for the next 4 years...........
Again, cant happen. The only options are to void the contract (buyout), trade the player (which just passes the buck as the next guy wont want to be there) or pay him. NBA contracts are guaranteed.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Don't really care either way but:

The guy has a black girlfriend & appears he was set-up by her.
He employed Oscar Robertson as his GM for 22 years.
Was due to receive an award from the NAACP.
Has paid numerous black players millions of dollars on a yearly basis for 30 years.

Paid $12 million for the team which is now worth $750 million & he will be kicked out of the league.

Carry on.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24
Don't really care either way but:

The guy has a black girlfriend & appears he was set-up by her.
He employed Oscar Robertson as his GM for 22 years.
Was due to receive an award from the NAACP.
Has paid numerous black players millions of dollars on a yearly basis for 30 years.

Paid $12 million for the team which is now worth $750 million & he will be kicked out of the league.

Carry on.

1)His mistress isnt black.
2)He has a history of these types of things.
3)He has been sued for racially based issues in the past.
4)Paying the best players does not mean you arent a racist.
5)He knew he was being recorded, no set up.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

You will have to show me where in the CBA a player could wilfully decide not to play for a team he is under Contract to and still get paid. Also show me where a player under contract with one time could just up and sign with any other NBA team. NBA owners may be many things, stupid business persons, none of them are that.

I tried looking but quite honestly I have neither the time nor interest to research it. The NBA can fine and suspend an owner, but they can't strip him of a team for being an Ass and racist in private. The team will be sold more because of the divorce than any pressure put on the owner. The soon to be ex wife isn't going to take a cut in her share of the teams value because of her ex husband.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Its high time he relinquished his team...to a next of kin or something.

You know, the guy is 80ish...probably going senile and seemingly impaired during the conversation; couldn't even tell the race of his girlfriend.

Why is such a young woman with a man that age anyway? Do you think its for love?

She is a "defendant in a lawsuit brought by the Sterling family alleging that she embezzled more than $1.8 million, who told Mr. Sterling that she would 'get even,'" Clippers president Andy Roeser said in a Saturday statement on behalf of Sterling that served as the first official response to the recordings.

link

Did she know he would be impaired (under the influence whether from senility, alcohol, or medication) when she called to record him?

She was leading the conversation.

He probably actually felt people were laughing at him because his girlfriend was around all those virile big black men.

He was upset even though from their conversation he was resigned to the fact that she may not be faithful to him.

He was trying to ask her to be discrete; it was a personal affair of the heart for him.

Even in his seemingly jealous stupor, he praised Magic Johnson.

A senior citizen got played like a fiddle in this situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the first time.

Cut the elderly some slack; at the very least, diminished responsibility in this case.

The guy is ancient.

You know, we have laws that protect the very young so maybe we should have some to protect the very old too.
edit on 28-4-2014 by reject because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2014 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
While this blokes little rant is rather unsavoury, I fail to understand why a private conversation is being touted around so.
It's not like he refused someone a job cos of their race or broke some law, he had a row with a woman and said some stuff that lots of other people (who he wasn't talking to) would find upsetting.

I bet not one of us could truthfully say we have never said in private something which wouldn't have made us look really bad if it emerged in the public domain.

Hell, look at the kinds of jokes that regularly go around in text messages...

I think the fact that someone's private row can get outed is far more onerous than anything they may have said in the heat of the moment.

What next? Going to submit everyone for brain scans to see if they have "anti social" tendencies?
edit on 46pMon, 28 Apr 2014 22:34:46 -050020142014-04-28T22:34:46-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30uk by SprocketUK because: Fat fingers

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

You will have to show me where in the CBA a player could wilfully decide not to play for a team he is under Contract to and still get paid.
Players have held out many times in the past. They lose a small part on their salary on suspension, then are either a)traded, b)re-signed to a bigger contract or c)bought out of their contract. It happened this year with Andre Miller.

Also show me where a player under contract with one time could just up and sign with any other NBA team.

I never said they could. i said that if their contract is bought out, or terminated, they could sign with a new team. Brandon Roy is a fine example. He isnt even in the league anymore and still getting paid by Portland, and was even when he was playing to the Timberwolves.

The NBA can fine and suspend an owner, but they can't strip him of a team for being an Ass and racist in private.

Exactly what I have said all along. They will also likely take away draft picks.

The team will be sold more because of the divorce than any pressure put on the owner.
It will be sold because of outside pressure. He is losing money every day that goes by. Sponsors are dropping out. His coach is hinting that he'll quit. No players will sign there in the offseason. Jersey sales will drop. Ticket sales will drop.

Its over.

edit on 29-4-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Why can't people just mind their own business..

This whole PC thing is getting out of control

I will say SNOOP DOG made a video response to the the clippers owner whereby he made very serious racist remarks but NO ONE is upset about a black man making racist statements

The way I see it, It seems like everyone can be and say anything racist they want ohhh EXCEPT White folks of course

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
He already received the same award from the NAACP in 08. The organization that is supposed to ADVANCE the group of people that he is supposedly stating he does not like. WHERE is the boycott of the NAACP by Snoop, Magic and LeBron?

Where is it? It is okay for the ol cracka to contribute to the cause but if he does not like his mistress flaunting about and he says something about it he should lose his ownership? He told her he did NOT care what she did, just do not bring it to his games.

Where is the racism in that?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's funny how these inflammatory threads are started and stocked by the same individuals, over and over again.

Hate to admit it, but I come here to get a laugh every so often.

Back on OP. He will probably lose his team. Hopefully some threads will get started concerning that...more laughs to come.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join