It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet - Atlas - Pentagon Using Man-Sized Robots For "Humanitarian" Work

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It's like any other tech that can be used for good or bad purposes. This one scares me more than most I have to admit.

Mainly the use of autonomous devices in law enforcement or in the military worries me. It will be a long time between the ability to create these and the devices having the ability to understand that child running towards them screaming is not the enemy, but just a terrified child.

Lets hope some common sense is used as these devices become a part of us. I hope that there will always be a human filter between the device detecting something and taking action.
edit on 4/29/2014 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There's no option NOT to develop robots. The things we need to make sure of is that we're developing them to do more good than harm. Making sure we have the right people making those decisions in the government is one of the most important things we can do.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: Wolfenz

oh, i have no doubt we'll see robotic soldiers on our streets within my lifetime....the human race seems determined to see how fast it can snuff itself from history....

my whole point is that that little vid wasn't an example of one currently in development...that is to say, it's not a DARPA demo reel......believe it or not, it was actually made by the same guy who wrote District 9, and Elysium ...notice how the robots look similar...he designed them all...he also did the "alive with technology" commercials for Citroen, along with a bunch of other robot-related stuff...he's quite handy with 3d modeling, rendering, and film editing.

Hmm interesting thank you for the info I did notice it had a district 9 setting wasn't so sure .

I like both movies. with the South African Twang in both of them
I just love the What ifs .

Like other Westworld Future world and THX1138 ( Robot Police ) as THX1138 worked in the Robot Manufacturing plant which Ironically Had a Nuke Radiation Disaster in it too like Elysium as when Matt Damon was locked in the Radiation Cleaning Tank and The THX1138 Movie had the Explosion from a Red Hot Nuke Cell? that was Accidentally dropped. Probely a Hats off to George Lucas THX1138 as Elysium as some Similarity's to THX1138

Anyhow ..

I think BIO mechanics is the Way to go for making a Robot/Android

as Robot Builders as still Using Hydraulics Motors

the alternative

Electroactive polymers
en.wikipedia.org...

Artificial Muscles Made With Fishing Line Can Lift 100 Times More Weight Than Human Muscles [VIDEO]
www.ibtimes.com...

Artificial muscle
en.wikipedia.org...

Athlete Robot
2005–2010
www.isi.imi.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

the problem with biomechanical humanoid constructs, is that now you're creating cyborgs, and with that, comes certain possible moral implications...fit a good enough AI onboard, and it possibly becomes self-aware...once that happens, you've literally created life in your own image...

do we have any right to do that? does anyone?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

the problem with biomechanical humanoid constructs, is that now you're creating cyborgs, and with that, comes certain possible moral implications...fit a good enough AI onboard, and it possibly becomes self-aware...once that happens, you've literally created life in your own image...

do we have any right to do that? does anyone?

In a way we Have. when you talk about Synthetics

Global Synthetic Biology Market Expected to Reach USD13.4 Billion in 2019: Transparency Market Research

ALBANY, New York, April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new market report published by Transparency Market Research "Synthetic Biology Market (Synthetic DNA, Synthetic Genes, Synthetic Cells, XNA, Chassis Organisms, DNA Synthesis, Oligonucleotide Synthesis)- Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast,2013 - 2019" the global synthetic biologymarket was valued at USD 1.8 billion in 2012 and is estimated to reach a market worth of USD 13.4 billion in 2019growing at a CAGR of 32.6% from 2013 to 2019. Synthetic biology is a process where artificial biological devices and systems are produced with the utilization of genetic engineering and biology. It plays an important role in the production ofimproved nutrition or cost effective medicines.Increasing number of scientific research coupled with rising participation of government and private organizations for the development of synthetic biology helps the growth of this market globally.In addition, new product development by key market players in collaboration with other companies will furtherdrive the growth of this market during the study period.

www.prnewswire.com... 1.html

Craig Venter and team make a historic announcement: they've created the first fully functioning, reproducing cell controlled by synthetic DNA. He explains how they did it and why the achievement marks the beginning of a new era for science.
www.ted.com...

Scientists Move Closer to Inventing Artificial Life
Synthetic biology advances with a man-made chromosome inserted into live brewer's yeast.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Man-Made Genetic Instructions Yield Living Cells for the First Time
Scientists create the first microbe to live under the instruction of DNA synthesized in the
www.scientificamerican.com...

Artificial blood made from stem calls to be put to trial
www.theaustralian.com.au...#

Bio-Computer Created Inside Living Cell
By Ker Than
for National Geographic News
October 16, 2008
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Researchers create bio-computer
March 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM |
www.upi.com...

I can see in the Future that there will be Nexus 6 like Synthetic Humanoids Running around
LOL

Replicant
bladerunner.wikia.com...
its just a how far to Push Kind of thing

Art imitates Life .

I find this Interesting

DARPA Sows Seeds of Technological Surprise, Director Says

By Cheryl Pellerin
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, April 30, 2014 –

DARPA is investing in technology its experts believe will lead to powerful new approaches for radar, communications, weapons and navigation, she said. “And in a range of research areas, we can see the new seeds of technological surprise,” Prabhakar said. “One example is where biology is intersecting with engineering today, and in areas like that, we are making investments that will lead to new technologies like synthetic biology and neurotechnology.” Another expert who testified before the committee, National Institutes of Health Director Dr. Francis S. Collins, mentioned a breakthrough neuroscience project that Stanford University is working on with funding from NIH and DARPA and the National Science Foundation. “Traditionally, researchers have studied the postmortem brain by cutting a specimen into slim slices. While all that slicing generates neat, two-dimensional images, it also makes it impossible to reconstruct the connections of the brain's tens of billions of neurons,” Collins said. “What if we could study the details of the wiring and the location of specific proteins in transparent 3-D? “Using a chemical cocktail,” he continued, “researchers at Stanford University -- supported by NIH, NSF and DARPA -- have figured out a way to do just that. They've dubbed their technique ‘Clarity,’ and in an extraordinary technical feat, the team made possible a 3-D tour of an intact mouse brain illuminated by a green dye that marks the neurons.” Clarity is now being applied to human brains, he added, and undoubtedly will advance the BRAIN Initiative, a research effort unveiled by President Barack Obama and Collins in April 2013. In his State of the Union message last year, the president addressed research and development and its value to the nation. “If we want to make the best products, we also have to invest in the best ideas,” Obama said. “Every dollar we invested to map the human genome returned $140 to our economy -- every dollar. Today, our scientists are mapping the human brain to unlock the answers to Alzheimer’s. They’re developing drugs to regenerate damaged organs, devising new material to make batteries 10 times more powerful.

www.defense.gov...

but to your Question is, Do we Humans have the Right ?

whats Stopping US >? The Government , a Certain Religion ( Against its Views ), Mother Nature, or A Deity ( God ) himself ? Human Self Law?

Does Anyone ?

Anyone Has That right, Our Free Will.

And For the Facts of BIO Engineering Humans have been doing this for a long long Time
From Selective Breeding to Alteration Modification (Mutation) of the Living

The Fear Comes From of what can Go Wrong A Big Change in the way of Living

And the Government, Religion, Has this Fear

I can go on for a Complete List of Reasons of Fear of WHY

but for Artificial Intelligence let say a Sentient Man made Brain

Comes to Mind of Fictional Novels that came to the Big Screen

( Mechanical )
Do Androids Dream of Sheep ( Novel Only )
Colossus the Forbin Project
I Robot

(BIO Computer)

Demon Seed ( Pinocchio Story )

(Synthetic Human)

Blade Runner

We Humans All have Imagination & Inspiration Boosted by influence or FEAR

Art becomes Life

A little Example

All Were Fiction Books

Jules Verne From The Earth To The Moon = Gemini to Apollo missions , Submarine
HG Wells BIO Engineering
Issac Asimov Semi Sentient Robotics

A Better Look Enjoy

Technovelgy ( Where Science Meets Fiction )
www.technovelgy.com...

Look how far Advance we Humans Became in just a Little over a Hundred Years Time.

Heavy Then Air Flying Machine
1903 Wright Brothers 1969 NASA Apollo 11

Ohh I like this little Clip from The Movie Prometheus ( Teaser )

edit on 30-4-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
opps

edit on 2-5-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We know all, that those inventions have always a good and bad side to them. The problem is the people who control them.

Personally i don't believe in robots as an help for us, we don't want to get lazy and just sit on the couch, i want to believe in robots that takes the boring sides of production work away. The (not humanlike) robots can work 24/7 and with such a precision and at a much lower cost.

So yeah for those robots, nay to the walking humanlike robots.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
don't just build a human replacement improve upon us. 3,4,5 Legs and arms 2,3 bellies to hold stuff against and 10-12 eyes to see things however needed.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ok gang, no one's said it yet. It's awesome DARPA is working on a humanitarian robot. One that can save us from all sorts of horrible fates. The problem is: "They'll be back!"

posted on Feb, 26 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Latest Atlas robot freaks me out a little. Why cant they just make them all look like the sweet Alicia Vikander (aka ex machina).

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

holy f**ker of god... that is one of the scariest goddamn things i've ever seen. They're building frakin' toasters, for real..

Absolutely NO good can come from this.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Absolutely NO good can come from this.

Agree. Looks like they aiming to build robots for the military to kill humans. What could go wrong

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

As i said two years ago, with regards to the possibility of constructs like these becoming self-aware: The human race seems to be in a race to see how fast it can snuff itself from existence.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Quick update..is now doing backflips....fetch the pitch forks before it can fly.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Working at DARPA has to be awesome and scary at the same time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join