It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet - Atlas - Pentagon Using Man-Sized Robots For "Humanitarian" Work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
We NEED to come up with a way to defend ourselves.
And FAST.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

This thread needs some theme music

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
To add..

Rise of the Machines : Documentary on the Future of Human Like Robots

America Building Robots Army for Future | New Documentary

edit on 27-4-2014 by Black_Fox because: To add...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Agreed

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Exactly like the cinematic version, the hulking Atlas robot is designed as a warrior not as a humanitarian machine. It will eliminate citizens on command the officials said on Tuesday.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Davian

A quick youtube search leads you in the right direction
Search "home made EMP gun"
And "directed energy weapon how to"

prepare to defend yourselves!

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
well since the real military usually only show 10% of its real capabilities in most cases, and there are plenty of high dollar bidders out there to create High tech things. Im sure there already is an I robot scenario lurking in the not so distant future. Who knows, once they go live with a mainframe program, Skynet just might become a reality.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
As excited as I am about the prospect of automated machines stepping in to handle situations hazardous for human beings, there's no way I trust the human species with control over a task force of these "Iron Man" units. I mean, how long have we been working on super soldier programs? This is just the next step.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Hi Slayer,

Interesting DARPA development. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as I'm writing a sci-fiction story about robots and cyborgs.

Robots used for humanitarian purposes is okay in my book as long as the tech is used responsibly. If not, it wouldn't surprise me that the community-at-large might be watching us as we evolve, since our actions likely carry a ripple effect that reaches the innermost world and outermost cosmos.

My prayer is that robots be a positive benefit for humanity. Yet I am aware of a darker side. The end result depends on who is using the robots and what they are being used for. The following link shows the versatility and customization of the T-models. Robotics could look like this in the future. Or perhaps robots armies are already in existence ... somewhere? The DOD isn't going to just suddenly stick a robot army in the public's face out-of-the-blue. All this talk about doing this and that by 2020 could be a cover-up campaign. Which raises the question: When is it okay to grant a license to lie? OR could the truth be hidden somewhere?

Between the films, novels, and the television series, a large number of Terminator models have been introduced to the franchise. It all started, however, in 1984, with the T-800 portrayed by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Since then, the Terminator has proven to be one of the most interesting, and creative characters to ever grace the big screen.

Technology of The Terminator Cyborg
www.watchmojo.com...

In spirit,

Toni
edit on PM4302014416pm4530pm by Antoniastar because: remembered something

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reminds me of this..

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Whew!

For a minute there I thought the title said "Woman Sized Robots".

I can breath easy now.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

the only upside i can see for this if some hackers reprogram the war version of this robot to go after TPTB

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Technology might be advancing faster then our ability to control and/or fully understand the responsibility that comes with it, having said that I do think this is very cool. As with most things there can be good and bad that comes from it, but I don't think not continuing to advance is the way to go. I much rather see the field of robotics move forward then I would see the merging of robotics and humans... though I know there is a subset of that happening as well.
edit on 27-4-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think Atlas would of been a better name for a more advanced...Minion. Like the Mech in Mech assualt.

Should of called it Prometheus since it's humanitarian. Instead Atlas would of probably had the humans working for it.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

On a more serious note here's a link to
an interview of Alex Jones on Y=T. The interview was in
Feb of 2013, but move to 1:06 00 almost the end of the interview
and listen to what AJ says on the Howard Stern show.
And a Bill Joy link
as well.

edit on Rpm42714v48201400000045 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Don't need to worry about these things taking over for the next few decades. I suggest you watch the DARPA robotics challenge from last winter, in which about five of the teams were using ATLAS. The winner was actually a Japanese robot named Schaft (also owned now by Google btw). It was about as interesting as watching retarded grass grow. It took these robots over ten minutes to climb a set of stairs and could barely make it over semi-rough terrain. Pretty sad, really, how far robotics technology has to go before it comes anywhere near the human body.
Also, the biggest hurdle is battery technology. If you watched the DARPA challenge, you would see a fat cord attached to every one of the challengers. These robots could never function far from a high energy source that is directly connected. Not for a long time. IMHO, the biggest advance in robotics won't be in the robotics technology itself, but in battery technology. We'll probably be on Mars before we can make a robot comparable to a human.
edit on 28-4-2014 by Irako because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
That is truly terrifying!! But We shouldn't be afraid, it's for humanitarian purposes, right? Just like the T.S.A spying on us to protect us from those wascawy terrorists! And what about G.M.O, flouride in our water, and all those healthy vaccinations they force us to take, to keep us super duper healthy and happy? To see how quickly the technology has advanced in just a few years, I can picture robot police forces and a whole slew of other ugly possibilities just around the corner. I think we need to think about countermeasures to be able to possibly hack or infect those systems so that we can disable them when they turn against us. Because I think we ALL know that is exactly what WILL happen, in due time.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
that's all we need..robosoldiers.. oy vey well whatever is revealed to the public is usually centuries behind what they actually "have".

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think its funny that we fear robots so much; when they won't have any real cunning or intelligence.... or at least not any more intelligence than a spider or bumble bee.

drones are still operated by people on the ground, its people who do the targeting and etc. no different than a recon aircraft or a ground-strike/attack aircraft.

this robot at most seems like a curiosity, and isn't at all a combat sort of thing.

a combat robot for instance would look more like that image of big-dog with a turret on its back, possibly flatter.

a remote-control tank or what is basically a mini-remote control tank would be like that too.

Its a novelty from darpa

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join