U.S. Congress Representatives urged IRS to investigate nonprofits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Another Revelation has come out about how a whole bunch of Democrat Congressmen and Congresswomen demanded that the IRS investigate tax exempt groups who seemed to be a thorn in their sides.

One in particular, Rep. Bruce Braley from Iowa, signed a letter with a list of demands. Braley later denounced the IRS AFTER the scandal was outed

This is a big indicator that the targeting of "Conservative" groups was underway and not some fantasy as Thee Obama LLC would have us think.

Not just one or two or a few this time. It was 32 Members of Congress that signed this particular letter. The names are all familiar.

The article says 30, but the actual letter has 32 signatures.

Appalling and despicable.

Four days after the head of the Internal Revenue Service denied the agency was targeting conservative social welfare organizations applying for tax exempt status, Rep. Bruce Braley signed a letter urging a probe into the political activities of social welfare organizations.

Braley was one of 30 Democratic members of Congress who signed the letter, dated March 26, 2012, to IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman urging him to investigate whether “any groups qualifying as social welfare organizations under section 501(c)(4) of the federal tax code are improperly engaged in political campaign activity.”

The House of Representatives Oversight and Government Reform Committee published the letter, included in a group of documents released as part of the committee’s investigation into whether members of Congress tried to pressure the IRS into investigating certain conservative groups.

Iowa congressman urged IRS to investigate nonprofits

I'm confident this was for the good of the Nation and submitted in good faith.

Geniuses at Work !!

edit on Apr-27-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Geniuses at Work !!

Here's an ATS thought: Do you think it's possible that this is going to get so big that it will be impossible to prosecute?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

We all know that with each administration, dirty tactics are used on their opponents such as using the IRS

However, with that being said, never before in my memory has any administration abused this power to the extreme as has Obama and company. It's freakin' unreal!!

If it's not one thing, it's another
I'm getting dizzy trying to keep up with all this stuff

And it's not over yet, not by a long shot
It is nothing but lies, lies, lies with a little deception thrown in there

I know all politicians lie but Obama is the King of Misrepresentation

-------------

ETA: Wrabbit mentioned Nixon....but at least he had the grace and dignity to resign, albeit forced to

edit on 27-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Oh my goodness. This IRS rabbit hole has so many subterranean levels, I wonder if we'll ever see the bottom.

As far as Rep. Bruce Braley goes...the term stepping on his (blank)...comes to mind.

I hope all 32 gleeful signees of the tell tale letter, get what they have coming to them...handed to them by the voters come election time.

Thanks for another bit of info, they never thought would see the light of day. That's what happens when you think your boss is invincible, and you have the protection of his magic cape. They are watching the cape shred before their eyes.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Geniuses at Work !!

Here's an ATS thought: Do you think it's possible that this is going to get so big that it will be impossible to prosecute?

Probably. A lot depends on what they get out of Lois (Ms. 5th) Lerner.

But I think the perpetrators thought it was too big to fail !!

And all involved will be taking the 5th (a 5th of gin a day - they're gonna need it)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

There was another...but I think we'd both be accurate in saying it's not within our living memory. (I'll assume you're young but wise..
)

Tricky Dick Nixon acted like this. Not at first, that anyone knew of course. Not overtly in quite the same way, but by the end when his own party was telling him it was time to leave or be impeached to conviction, it was clear he'd gone so far beyond the limits of his Office, Lincoln was rolling in his grave.

I just wonder how this one will end up.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I think Holder's recent retraction of his resignation plans is quite telling, my friend.
edit on 2742014 by Snarl because: ETA: plans

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

I think Holder's recent retraction of his resignation plans is quite telling, my friend.

Yep...old Holder has to write a mountain of pardons for his boss to sign, and a boatload of people to find innocent. He'll be so darn busy building barricades, he won't have time to think about retirement from his own troubles.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

There was another...but I think we'd both be accurate in saying it's not within our living memory. (I'll assume you're young but wise..
)

Tricky Dick Nixon acted like this. Not at first, that anyone knew of course. Not overtly in quite the same way, but by the end when his own party was telling him it was time to leave or be impeached to conviction, it was clear he'd gone so far beyond the limits of his Office, Lincoln was rolling in his grave.

Unlike Nixon, I highly doubt Obama will give up the reins so easily

He's so pompous and to be honest, I'm starting to wonder if he believes in his own lies
Surely he knows by now that most of the public is leery of the words/promises he makes by now

That is a common trait among pathological liars....they believe that what they say to be true

But that right there would be a problem because then it would show instability in our president's mental capacity

Nah, it would take his own party to turn on him and even then, with Holder & Valerie Jarret lurking in the background, even that is iffy

edit on 27-4-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

As long as Valerie has her hand stuffed so far up his puppet posterior, she can make his eyes blink. He'll hold onto those reins as tight as SHE can.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

When it all comes out it might be Obama might be running neck to neck with Nixon. Do you remember his tv address he state I am not a crook Lol.

Nixon help push me to where I am very suspicious of the workings of the government .

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Appalling and despicable.

Was it appalling and despicable when Bush and his cronies did the exact same thing? Both sides use the IRS like a weapon against their political rivals. Is it the right thing to do? No it isn't but to act like only one side does it is ludicrous.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
OP, let's see if I've got your basic postulate down here...

Four days AFTER the story "broke" on national news about supposed targeting of Tea Party groups by one regional IRS office, 32 Democratic Congressmen jointly signed a letter in 2012 ... and this letter somehow proves collusion of the Obama administration with the regional IRS investigation in 2010? Is that about right?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The power to tax is the power to destroy. A good article written on the subject of taxes and taxation can be found here.

The weaponization of taxes is a danger to everyone. That the Constitution was changed so the Federal Government could directly tax income, in order to support the newly formed Federal Reserve, is evidence enough of destructive forces. That if you try create a new business, you gain a senior partner in the form of regulation and taxes by the government has been around for quite awhile. Think of the taxes on tea and other things that were direct causes of the Revolution in the first place. Even the rallying cry of No Taxation Without Representation is testament to those times.

But have we returned to such times? King George maintained the tax on tea (after dropping other taxes) as a placeholder to secure the right tax by the crown. And as the linked article points out, taxes paid into Social Security enter a black hole and may have some sort of future payout or not depending on the whim of the government at that time of payout.

With the ACA, we see a very destructive force being applied that removes 2%-8% of an individual's income, by virtue of that person being alive and a citizen of the US. There are even exemptions for those that are illegal immigrants. And with this case of 32 Congress Critters placing the IRS against groups that support political opponents, we see the power of taxation used directly as a political weapon.

The idea floated that these people may be too big to prosecute because of the number involved and their position is ludicrous. For the continuation of the US to remain a free country, members of the government that wish to abuse authority granted must always pay the price when they corrupt that power granted.

To do otherwise is reduce the citizens to serfs in a modern fiefdom more so than we already are. Or simply label it more appropriately, that we are no longer a free people and are born into slavery under the thumb of an oligarchical noble class.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
OP, let's see if I've got your basic postulate down here...

Four days AFTER the story "broke" on national news about supposed targeting of Tea Party groups by one regional IRS office, 32 Democratic Congressmen jointly signed a letter in 2012 ... and this letter somehow proves collusion of the Obama administration with the regional IRS investigation in 2010? Is that about right?

All depends on how you see the dates I guess.

The "Letter" is dated Aug 2012.

The IRS "announcement" came in early 2013.

The "alleged" intense scrutiny started in early 2010 after the Citizens United decision I think.

IMO, the whole targeting thing was designed to be retaliation for the Citizens United rulings.

The Left Wing groups were scared and jealous, and then over-zealously over-reacted.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
All depends on how you see the dates I guess.

Uh, yeah ... I guess so.

Your OP article, itself, is the reference that makes the statement "Four days after the head of the Internal Revenue Service denied the agency was targeting ... Rep. Braley signed a letter."

So, again according to your article, the question was raised in 2012 before the House Ways and Means Committee which was INVESTIGATING THE ISSUE AT THE TIME, and this letter was written four days later, right?

The practice itself occurred in the IRS regional office 2010, and was ordered stopped in 2011, interestingly enough by Ms. Lerner (according to Forbes Magazine's "timeline" found here)

So, this letter is not exactly a bombshell linking the Obama Administration to anything, or Democrats to anything, or anything to anything, is it?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Hello Gryphon,

Except for the fact it was 32 Democratic Congressmen, whom signed the letter. A letter that should not have been drafted in the first place, enlisting another government agency, the IRS to intervene in any way at all.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Sure there's date conflicts.

What is the real timeline?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Wouldn't anyone else prefer the IRS look at the Loopholes Corporations use to Pay the same tax level as non-profits?

AS opposed to say, hunting down Non-profits that might be violating tax code?

I mean, from a common sense perspective, ONE would be capable of generating far more tax revenue for the State.

Unless... Unless the IRS is being used as a strong arm tactic to silence political opponents and has nothing to do with leveling a fair tax code on the people?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Hi Destinyone:

What does the political affiliation of the Representatives matter? Democrats shouldn't be interested in illegal activity?

The letter does not instruct the IRS to target a specific brand or group, merely a particular legal designation ( 501(c)(4) ). That particular legal designation was under scrutiny at the time in Washington, in the House Ways and Means, interestingly due to the Republican obsession with ACORN.

What other government agency would investigate tax-exempt applications? ATF? FCC?

I'm just not seeing your points; please try again.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join