It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E.T. found buried in NM Desert (Atari, that is)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Okay, I remember this game. I had fun playing this game way back when. Kinda goofy, even by standards at the time....but kinda cool too. It did new things that other games hadn't, as I recall. Of course, playability didn't convert to RE-playability, as I also seem to recall, and perhaps that's why this had to happen.

ALAMOGORDO, N.M. (AP) — A decades-old urban legend was put to rest Saturday when workers for a documentary film production company recovered "E.T." Atari game cartridges from a heap of garbage buried deep in the New Mexico desert.

The "Atari grave" was, until that moment, a highly debated tale among gaming enthusiasts and other self-described geeks for 30 years. The story claimed that in its death throes, the video game company sent about a dozen truckloads of cartridges of what many call the worst video game ever to be forever hidden in a concrete-covered landfill in southeastern New Mexico.

I hadn't realized E.T. not phoning home well enough helped lead to Atari's demise. The game wasn't THAT bad when one looks at what the 2600 offered. Off they'd gone tho..

The game's finding came as no surprise to James Heller, a former Atari manager who was invited by the production to the dig site. He says in 1983 the company tasked him with finding an inexpensive way to dispose of 728,000 cartridges they had in a warehouse in El Paso, Texas. After a few local kids ran into trouble for scavenging and the media started calling him about it, he decided to pour a layer of concrete over the games.
Source

..and so, a mystery is solved. A conspiracy theory or urban legend, laid to rest. The goods, exposed to the light of back hoes and excavators. Apparently most of the town locals who had come out after the first few were found had gone home by the time the main body of them was uncovered.

I suppose we could say, E.T. Phoned Home...one last time.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Damn...fooled by the first 6 words in a title again...

You had my widdle heart thumpin' for a minute.

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

(sweet innocent smile) Whatever are you talking about, my dear? I'm just a humble bunny sharing the results of a decades long mystery. I wouldn't know anything about anyone being fooled.

Doesn't everyone know E.T. is just a movie and a game made by Atari? (hop hop) Cool story tho, eh?

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yes, my fuwwey widdle fwiend...it's way cool, and entertaining...S&F...

Des

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

First I want to address your comments on the game.

No one had fun playing E.T., it was horrible by the standards at the time. Also it didnt do anything that hadnt been done before.

Lastly, I know the angry video game nerd was making a full length film on the mystery of the game, but its not a documentary it a crowd sourced action flick. I wonder if it was found while he was working though because hes still making the film.

Everyone should watch his game reviews at cinnemessacre.com

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Heard about this weeks back.?
How did they find it by accident when they invited people to watch?

posted April 10
news.xbox.com...

"Become a part of gamer history. Unearth the truth behind the ultimate urban legend. We’re excited to announce that the excavation of the long-rumored “E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial” video game burial site will occur on April 26, 2014 and will be open to the public. Spectators are invited to watch the team uncover the infamous Atari game cartridge grave. "

edit on 27-4-2014 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
That was absolutely the worst video game ever made. All I can remember about it is falling in holes that were impossible to get out of.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 27-4-2014 by skunkape23 because: link added

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

As I read the article and story with this...They came and started digging. I'm sure that attracted attention. Then they found a few ET cartridges. That brought townsfolk and locals....who had mostly left by the time the digging found the majority toward the end of the day.

It noted the locals had been in winds out there, in a garbage dump. I suppose I can see why they wouldn't stay to the end, if the end was hours between first and last finds.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

First I want to address your comments on the game.

No one had fun playing E.T., it was horrible by the standards at the time. Also it didnt do anything that hadnt been done before.

Lastly, I know the angry video game nerd was making a full length film on the mystery of the game, but its not a documentary it a crowd sourced action flick. I wonder if it was found while he was working though because hes still making the film.

Everyone should watch his game reviews at cinnemessacre.com

He didn't complete the film yet (hes working on the effects right now) - the shooting is complete and he doesn't plan on shooting any additional footage due to this being dug up. He stated that since his movie takes place in an "alternate nerd reality" that it has no effect on the film in general. I do know that the programmer of E.T. does make an appearance in the film though which is awesome.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Figured I would revive this thread, since it already had pertinent information. Some of these cartridges are now being sold by the Alamogordo's Tularosa Basin Historical Society on eBay.

There is an article out now concerning this: E.T. cartridges unearthed and auctioned

Buy a smelly piece of gaming history anyone?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I thought I was the only one who found a cache of ET cartridges.

edit on 9-11-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join