It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity, homosexuality and pig meat.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Biblical Christians (the ones who revere the bible cover to cover) claim that the levitical laws prohibiting pig meat and homosexuality have been done away with after Jesus' appearance 2000 years ago. Most Christians are okay with eating pig meat, forbidden by levitical laws...yet use the same levitical laws to condemn homosexuality. Some even quote from leviticus to back up their claims. Why is that? Discuss.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Note- I am not defending homosexuality, but just thought the subject of christians cherry picking levitical laws (bound in their own Bibles) would make for an interesting discussion.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It's not just Christians, people of all types are masters of self justification.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The entire bible is a metaphor, Christ told everyone he was speaking in metaphor, there are old testament clues to this. Right in genesis you discover Jacob's whole experience, and the ladder of realms all occurred via the penial, the city he met God in, right in genesis 32 30.

And yes, even in fundamental christianity, they are new testament not old, they are Christian, not Jewish. It doesn't matter what you eat, it matters what your words and actions are for they come out of your heart. Nothing that goes in matters, too much.

Also, the only reason for the taboo, was that they were more easily contaminated with worms.

The other possible reason for the taboo is that they may be hybrids with human dna, but thats not our karma. If somebody knows something, does it and knowingly markets it, all of the bad karma 100% boomerangs back to the criminal doing this.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
It's not just Christians, people of all types are masters of self justification.
This thread isn't about people of 'all types' being masters of 'self justification', is it?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
Biblical Christians (the ones who revere the bible cover to cover) claim that the levitical laws prohibiting pig meat and homosexuality have been done away with after Jesus' appearance 2000 years ago. Most Christians are okay with eating pig meat, forbidden by levitical laws...yet use the same levitical laws to condemn homosexuality. Some even quote from leviticus to back up their claims. Why is that? Discuss.

Simple, it's because most religious people are ill-educated narrow minded bigots, who are quite happy to selectively misquote or even physically amend their 'holy texts' if it will serve their own (usually selfish) ends.

No doubt this comment will get taken down, but it won't be any less true for that!
edit on 26-4-2014 by squarehead666 because: S&P

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I have always thought that there was a saying about not worshiping false gods or idols. Personally I think that to mean don't worship the bible as a false idol.

I know it is supposed to be the word of God and all, or at least the OT. The NT is just stories written by common folk.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

I know what you are saying but Christianity is about repentance and without repentance for breaking any of the (biblical) law it is a non repentance to continue to sin and no number of confessionals will ever fix that, When jesus healed or saved or forgave it was with the word's "go and sin no more", But god know's we are imperfect and will alway's stumble so as long as we get back up even if it need a helping hand from a good samaritan then he will have mercy (that is so long as we have mercy), Jesus actually took more exception to hypocrites whom claimed to upholding the law but themselves had broken it yet used to condem others such as when the saved magelain from the mob whom were about to stone her, he picked up a stone and turned to look at them then said "Let He whom is without sin cast the first stone", something in his authority given him by his father made them understand as he was holding the stone looking at them and if one had cast it whom was no without sin he would have been struck dead as indeed will all such on judgement day so they dropped there stones and walked away and he said "Then neither shall I", blessed are the merciful for they shall recieve mercy, Judge not lest you be judged and the measure you use shall be used against you.
The blanket full of all manner of beast let down from heaven was symbolic of the gentile's whom where now called to the feast in heaven but also a forgiveness as christ said to the devil during his fourty days in the desert after being baptized by john the baptist (No greater MAN has ever been born of a woman), whom had tempted him saying "if you be the son of god turn these stones to bread", "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word of god (the law)".
He also said "Do not think I come to take away the law, No I come to fulfill it".
Remember how when he came accross two demon possessed men the demons called legion asked if they could go into the pig's which he allowed only for the pig's to promptly commit suicide by running into the lake,.
It is a sin if you believe it to be against the law but if you believe he has allowed it then it is no longer a sin.
And will the good shepherd punish the sheep because of the bad shepherd or will he as he has said take back what is his.

edit on 26-4-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Most Christians are okay with eating pig meat, forbidden by levitical laws...yet use the same levitical laws to condemn homosexuality. Some even quote from leviticus to back up their claims. Why is that?

Ignorance and indoctrination and self righteousness.
That's something rampant with all types of religious extremists.
They think they are all holy-holy but in reality they are just dumb-dumb.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Why do the words "Gay Bacon" keep running through my mind?

People will believe what they want to believe.

In the end, God will sit back and probably laugh His Almighty Ass off at how silly we've all been.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Actually, the New Testament reiterated homosexuality as being sinful, but it also includes all other types of sexual sin in the mix. So, yes, I consider it sexual sin along with fornication and adultery. Most people are not entirely clean of some form of sexual sin in their past.

As to marriage, both testaments clearly say it is only between a man and woman.

That is my stance on the matter.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Why do the words "Gay Bacon" keep running through my mind?

People will believe what they want to believe.

In the end, God will sit back and probably laugh His Almighty Ass off at how silly we've all been.

Indeed.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Book of Levicticus was written somewhere 1400 BC.. the rules of Abrahamic religions had their purpose at the time. One was to be able to survive as a religion among other mainstream religions/beliefs at the time. Roman beliefs and Egyptian beliefs mainly. To be able to compete was to make rules which would increase procreation and therefor more believers of their own religion, no seed to be wasted and homosexuality as forbidden. Seed of a man contained the whole child ( female eggs were not known and womb was only hatchery of the child ), wasting seed was criminilized.

Hygiene was not so good those days so its only understandable that actions and rules which would keep people healthy was made.. What meat is unclean and what carcasses are not to be touch etc. Rotten meat was not uncommon in dinner tables.. to hide the taste and smell people started to use spices. Most spiced food is found in those warm countries. They did not have fridgerators or good systems to preserve the food. All those rules was made for survival and survival of the religious belief.

Mythbusters
You cannot preserve the meat -- busted
Man seed has the whole child --- busted
Homosexuality is killing babies ( seed holding whole child so wasting seed is killing a baby )--- busted
Abrahamic laws needed today -- busted
edit on 26-4-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Note- I am not defending homosexuality, but just thought the subject of christians cherry picking levitical laws (bound in their own Bibles) would make for an interesting discussion.

It amuses me endlessly that you had to clarify your prejudice.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Unless you havn't noticed there is so many inconsistencies with the way Christians follow the bible. The amount of paraphrasing they take as "metaphorical" and that which they take "literal" is so convoluted it's a joke. Apparantly we can have slaves, not eat shrimp and gays can't get married. It makes me sick how people can still justify these primitive ideologies.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: squarehead666

Simple, it's because most religious people are ill-educated narrow minded bigots, who are quite happy to selectively misquote or even physically amend their 'holy texts' if it will serve their own (usually selfish) ends.

No doubt this comment will get taken down, but it won't be any less true for that!

Why would your comment get taken down? Stereotyping Bible thumpers as stupid bigots is perfectly acceptable around here. Just make sure you don't refer to anyone as a faggot or a 'n-word' or a towel head and you should be good to go.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Against my better judgment I'll participate.

In my opinion, organized religion is a power ponzi scheme. There are always those in society who want to control others, they find the opportunity in organized religion. They are given "permission" to look down upon others to elevate their own sense of worth and value. The Pope has power, he gives Bishops and Cardinals power, they give power to Priests, the churches give power to their congregation, the congregation gets the sensation of being more "worthy" than "non-believers".

As you correctly point out, the selective nature of all Christian belief should be highlighted. They quote the Bible when it allows them to attack others for being homosexual, but they ignore so many other specific instructions in their book.

Slavery, rape, selling of daughters, polygamy, clothing, crops, hair styles... there are so many other clear examples of "inconvenient" diktats that are suddenly ignored while holding this one thing aloft and smacking people with it.

When I find one Christian who fights against equal rights for LGBT people who also campaigns for women to be under the control of men, who never cuts their hair, willing to sell their daughters to a man, who only wear clothes woven from one material... then I might pay attention to a word they say, but only long enough to ridicule them further.

It's really quite simple; if one wants to use Bible verse to attack others, they better be prepared to support all other Bible verses and live accordingly, otherwise they should be laughed out of the room without further consideration.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Romans 14 tells us what to eat and that giving thanks and asking for GOD to bless it will cleanse any food. I have been doing much study about food recently and that is my answer. As far as the homosex part, in timothy it tells us how we should conduct ourselves...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Answer on bacon.

Answer on homosexuality/equal rights.

edit on 26-4-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Well, the solution to that is to just become a vegan or vegetarian. And then go live in a cave. You would avoid all human contact including homosexuals and don't eat meat altogether. But do you get hungry too much eating vegetables and fruits? Do you get lonely living in a cave? Brothers and sisters, we live in a world of disagreements, strife, and prejudice. Not only do you fight with others, you fight with yourself. Hence, the deciding factor to abstain from certain meats or who you should condemn. Most of us can't have any peace even until our physical deaths. Is it because you can't have peace or because you don't understand peace? Or maybe you have a middle ground where you have an inner struggle between ego and your true self, trying to prove right from wrong, good from evil? Therefore, you don't realize what peace really is?

The above paragraph is a good example of the duality consciousness of physical reality, always striving to separate ourselves from each other (and also from God), causing hatred and thinking we are better than the church across the street because we don't eat pigs. Once you understand the differences between this reality and God's true reality, then you will realize why these things happen. It's natural to be the way we are, yes. But only because we believe this physical world is so real, yet it's just as fake as the movie on your TV screen.

So next time you judge homosexuals or the pig eater, think a little deeper using your intuition. Ask God within you if doing all this judging is the true reality? Your gut feeling (God feeling) will most likely tell you that the God of the Old Testament is not the Creator you were taught. That most of the laws in there were created for an entirely different time period and culture with a mindset in lower consciousness compared to today. That being right or wrong about any particular religious concept is a mindset of this world and not of the True Creator.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join