It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Washing Machine Has No Spin Cycle between Wash and Rinse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I recently moved into a new apartment, and you will not believe how the top-loader washing machine here operates.

If you set it to "Super Load," it will fill the tub with less wash water than expected. It should give you – at the very least – two more inches of water.

Here's one of the big things: even though it will drain and drain and drain the wash water forever, there will be no spinning or spraying of the clothes with water prior to the rinse cycle.

Another big thing: the rinse cycle is a joke. It is called "rinse and soak."

A meager amount of rinse water – even for a "Super Load" – goes into the tub, and while it does, there is agitation for all of two seconds, then the water stops and it just allows the clothes to soak without the top surface of the clothes ever coming into much contact with the meager amount of rinse water!!!

If you look under the lid of the washer, there is information with a box that has the following heading "Rinse and Soak" with the following text: "Always refer to your owner's manual for further information."

Go online and dig up the owner's manual, and there is nothing in it to explain "Rinse and Soak."

The selector dial of the washer has three cycles from which to choose: "Casual, Pulsed," "Cottons, Regular," and "Dark Colors, Regular."

There seems to be no difference between the "Cottons, Regular" cycle and the "Dark Colors, Regular" cycle. There is no explanation in the owner's manual about the difference.

I was in a living situation where I had a choice among three top-of-the-line imported front-loader washers. THEY WERE TERRIBLE. The big thing that I remember about them is that for unknown reasons, the tub would just gently meander clockwise then counterclockwise over and over and over again at any point in the cycle for 20 to 40 minutes without the countdown timer changing at all. Then it would continue as normal. Maybe these washers had attention deficit disorder.

My brother, a few months ago, bought a new house and top-of-the-line appliances to go with it. He said that the appliances are terrible in form and function and the owner's manuals are near worthless.

WHAT KIND OF IDIOTS RULE THE WORLD?

P.M.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Maybe complain to mgmt to get a new one? or sabotage it so that it least needs a repair?
As far as the newer hi efficiency ones, it seemed to me ours would spin back and forth at the beginning like it was weighing the amount of laundry and then calculating wash times. Also learned to keep the door to the washer open between loads or would stink.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I share your frustrations. I purchased a brand new "Admiral" brand washing machine probably a little over a year ago. Admiral is sub brand of whirlpool, so I was like sure cool this will be good. After about 6 months I started to have a few problems with it, so they sent out a tech to fix it for free.

The first time they replaced the ECU that controls the washing machine, the second time it happened they sent out a new tech and he found out it was the actuator sensor. I bought the low end model washing machine, but I didn't expect it to F* up before a year... After they fixed the actuator sensors the washing machine works fine now.

Pretty much all washing machines now are controlled by micro controllers, and could be 100's of potential problems.. don't expect good customer service from whirlpool though.

ETA: I had the same problem with mine, and it was the actuator sensor. So have them check that.
edit on 4/26/2014 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
. I think most of your problems is that you can't make the transition between the older styles of machines and operations.

First, government regulations have stipulated water levels lower than what used to be typical. If you want a higher water level in a top loader, do the simple trick of what I would see Mexican women doing in commercial laundries. They would allow it to fill with the water first, add their detergent and then pile the clothes in. Then, add water with a bucket to a level that suits you. --Don't overfill you some will splash out! However, the downside of that is too many clothes stuffed in there will not properly circulate and those next to the agitator may get worn and new jeans, especially, will show rub marks.

The new rinse cycle is designed for just a couple of small items, not a regular wash load.

Today, most if not all new washers of the last decades or so automatically turn on the hot water to bring the water temp up to about room temperature--even when you only have it set for cold! That automatic feature tends to happen in the winter time when the incoming water may be quite cold. Warming the water to room temperature gives better cleaning than colder water. And as with water heaters and dishwashers, "hot" with a washer is no longer hot anyway, that also has been mandated to a lower degree.

Front loaders uses much less water than top loaders. They will run about twice as long, but they also use less electricity than the older ones. No big problem there as they now run about as long as a dryer cycle. So the two cycles take about the same time. Front loaders will be virtually mandated in some places. Even today, some towns, such as Austin, give (or did give) nice rebates to buyers of front loaders. In a front loader, the slow, rotation of the clothes turning up the side of the drum and then falling down into the water in the bottom is akin to the old beating clothes on rocks principle. It works well. A front loader has too many items in it if the clothes look like a rotating ball of clothes rather than displaying the "falling down" effect. The down side is that they are expensive to buy and to repair. Front loaders spin out more water from the clothes and therefore allowing shorter runs on the dryer. Have a substantial floor under a front loader otherwise, it will "walk." On a dryer, learn to use and adjust to your liking the automatic cycle. It knows better than you when a load is dry.

No longer will an old style such as a Maytag top loader last for two generations without a repair. I strongly recommend that a buyer of any new washer or dryer by the damned extended warranty for their machine. It will save you money in the long run. Don't buy the hype of using the detergent designed for front loaders, it will cost more than merely using less of the standard detergent.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
i'm deeply saddened by your washing machine problem.
together we can get through this.
stay strong.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
First, government regulations have stipulated water levels lower than what used to be typical.

Let me start by saying that water saving devices like certain toilet bowls are self-defeating in their purpose. If you have one of these, you will find yourself flushing two and maybe three times over to get everything down the tubes.

With my current washing machine, in order to get a decent rinsing accomplished, I just run the load through a whole other cycle (wash, rinse, spin) sans detergent.

Anyway, the point of my original post is that appliances, especially the high-end ones, are atrocious, and owner's manuals for just about everything are even worse.

P.M.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What Brand is it?
If it is GE/Hot Point then.
Call :: 1-800-GECARES
If it is still under teh 1 year manu warrenty then they will come out and fix it ...for free.
If nto then a service fee will apply plus parts and labor.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Don't buy the hype of using the detergent designed for front loaders, it will cost more than merely using less of the standard detergent.

Here you go and we use the powdered version and it works great .....actually we have never had a detergent work so good ever. :-)

www.icanteachmychild.com...

www.diynatural.com...

To the OP we can relate in a very similar fashion, bought a new fridge and withing 3 years some computer modual or whatever went belly up and to fix it was the same price as to replace it.

Everything made in China is CRAP!!!!....unfortunately all parts for all things now come from there.....
Good luck with your washer.

Regards, Iwinder
ETA
Here is where we found the information on the detergent.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 26-4-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm afraid that someday I may need to buy a new washer. My daughters washer sucks, it is one of those low water use washers. They are all getting like that. The lids lock when you start them too. WHY do the lids have to lock, we always are adding something to them after they start. The soaps for those are too expensive too, I think it is some new way of making lots of money on special soap.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

WHY do the lids have to lock, we always are adding something to them after they start.
a reply to: rickymouse
Laughing, thinking about returning upstairs after putting a load of whites in the washer and finding a couple of socks here and there that I dropped.
Our washer is the same it locks when you start it and thats it folks!
Same for our dishwasher, start a load up and look behind you to find a plate or bowl sitting there all dirty, well its too late now to turn back!

As far as an answer goes I have no Idea why they lock, I am going to lose sleep over this tonight ricky and I blame you for this.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
To the OP we can relate in a very similar fashion, bought a new fridge and withing 3 years some computer modual or whatever went belly up and to fix it was the same price as to replace it.

Don't get me started on the high-end and very expensive vacuum cleaner that my housemate decided to buy. It's big, heavy, difficult to maneuver and, when emptying out the dirt canister, it’s just as awkward and messy as any other vacuum. I can't even figure out for what purposes the new-age attachments for this thing are. The owner's manual is almost entirely of hard-to-understand symbols and graphics.

The smaller, lighter $39.00 vacuum that I used to have in my own digs was a much better value.

P.M.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I just had to reply to this thread.....

I recently bought a new washing machine. Black gloss with chrome effect trimmings, 9kg load, more cycles than I know what to do with ( including a duvet cycle and a sports clothes cycle! ), digital programming with total control to customize each cycle to the temp and spin speed required. A pause switch so I CAN stop and start and unlock the door to add more items mid wash.Does a full 9kg load in 28 mins and the clothes come out very very clean.....Did I mention it was black gloss and chrome effect?

* gets all misty eyed * Errmmmm......I'm off to go polish my washer!

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It is a problem of modern technology. My mothers washing machine(when I was a child) worked really well. You could fill the tub as full as you wanted... with the garden hose that supplied the water. There was not spin cycle though. There was a wringer, and you didn't want to get your fingers in there.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

The good old days. If those washers didn't go obsolete, we would still be using our grandmothers washer. I remember a time when if a washer wouldn't last twenty years...people considered it junk.

new topics

top topics

join