It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flavorless Tomatoes $3.82 a pound WTH?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So I just got back from shopping with the wife.

Naturally she wants us all to eat healthier so she walks right up to the table that says,

Locally Grown Organic Tomatoes. $3.82 a pound.

And the first thing I say, is they can't be local... were still dropping below freezing some nights here in Western Colorado.
and she says--- Oh hush, they probably grow them in a big hot house!

She fills a bag with like 6 of the big ones and I'm thinking--- those better be some of best tasting damn tomatoes I've ever eaten--- for what they cost!

Well we get home--- I took that $20+ dollar bag of Tomatoes--- sliced one up--- took a byte---

Totally bland--- as in not tasty--- as in not juicy or particularly flavorful or in any meaningful tomatoeisk kind of way, worth the $20+ dollars we just paid for them.

The wife just gives me that glare and scolds
"Oh don't look like that, it's not going to kill to eat better!"

Maybe not but it sure will drive me broke!

Any body got a bottle of ketchup I can rinse my mouth out with?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

I feel your pain. I love love love (good) tomatoes. Even the grocery organic ones don't ever taste as good as one straight out of the garden. Even when I can't have an in-ground garden, I always insist on having at least a couple of container pots for a tomato plant. When I first met my husband, he didn't believe me about the difference in taste. Then I gave him a grocery store one side by side with one from the garden, and he understood. It sucks to pay that much for produce and miss out on all the flavor.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Don't get me started on the "health" craze. I put Health in quotes because I don't believe most of this stuff actually makes one healthier. I've always lived by the "I eat what I want" diet and I dare say I'm a pretty healthy person. Of course I do live a pretty active lifestyle. I eat burgers at Wendy's and McDonald's and I have no quarrel with having a nice juicy steak for dinner, medium rare please.

My wife started "juicing" a while back, It's not a cheap venture. I enjoy drinking the occasional beer while I watch her take 15 minutes to prepare her "healthy drink" but wives will be wives, I feel for your pain. I'm sure your wallet does too.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I hear YOU! Since I have moved to Pa I haven't had a decent tomato a side from my home grown
beauties in the summer. I used to live in Nj and my mouth waters for a REAL Jersey tomato. I have bought
what they call "organic" tomatoes at my local stores, but in no way do they resemble a tasty tomato other then their beautiful looks! Horrible I say HORRIBLE.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have said it many times before on this forum and elsewhere: If you didn't dig it up or bleed it out yourself, you don't know what you're eating.

Corporate America will keep pushing the crap on you and you (or your wife) will keep buying it and eating it, until you become self-sufficient. Until then, don't even bother to gripe about it.

My wife buys "organic" baby carrots. She carries them in her lunch to work.

I swap work and food with neighbors who have gardens. I helped a friend work cattle a couple of week ago, and I brought home some carrots that I dug up from his garden. I did a taste test between my friend's carrots and the "organic" ones. The organic one tasted like soap beside the fresh ones.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

Okay I will admit I do like those 'Store Bought' Sundried Tomatoes--- a lot.

Yeah I know I can make em myself and I do but they don't last long around my place. Homemade or store bought.

Other than ketchup there is no other tasty store bought tomato product you can buy.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If you BELIEVE in "organic" you're going to pay for it. Yesterday:

Asparagus: $2.98/pound
Organic Asparagus: $7.98/pound

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: starlitestarbrite
I hear YOU! Since I have moved to Pa I haven't had a decent tomato a side from my home grown
beauties in the summer. I used to live in Nj and my mouth waters for a REAL Jersey tomato. I have bought
what they call "organic" tomatoes at my local stores, but in no way do they resemble a tasty tomato other then their beautiful looks! Horrible I say HORRIBLE.

I am in PA too!

I am frothing at the mouth to FINALLY savor the taste of a REAL tomato!

I usually gorge myself on the fresh LOCAL produce as soon as it becomes available, because I know I have a small window to enjoy them...

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Must have been gold plated to ask $7.98/pound.

The up side for me is we do have a small weekend farmers market that should be getting started next month.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

I got you beat...

The other day my wife caught me saving 'Bacon Grease'

She made that 'Ewwwww' noise then rolled her eyes at me.

Hey what can I say--- lots of things taste better cooked in 'Bacon Grease'!

Her health food kick is going to make me cheat on her--- with the lady behind the counter who make "Whoopers".

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I have the same complaint and have for a few years. Every summer my mouth waters for the taste of a plump ripe field tomato fresh from the garden. Memories of how they tasted from my youth fuel my desire. Every year,Iam disappointed. Field tomatoes taste like hot house and that equates to less taste than the cardboard box they were shipped in. Thanks monsanto,for leaving my tongue with nothing but a memory of how real food tastes.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Tomatoes grown with too much water tend to be flavorless. If you water your tomatoes too often the tomatoes don't turn out right. I learned that from experience. Type of tomato is also important.

Chemicals don't form right if the tomato plant never experience a shortage of water. The chemical is one that generates more root growth in the plant. Organic or not, plants that are spoiled develop fruit that is not what it should be like....compare this to kids, those who get everything they want are not sweet kids, they are flavorless.

Plant some tomato plants in the early fall and bring them into the house. They produce tomatoes in the winter...for nearly nothing.
edit on 25-4-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Totally bland--- as in not tasty--- as in not juicy or particularly flavorful or in any meaningful tomatoeisk kind of way, worth the $20+ dollars we just paid for them -

My husband was just wondering if people under a certain age will ever know what a tomato or anything else is supposed to taste like. Rewrite your story and make it any veggie or fruit, none taste like they should, sometimes you actually have to spit them out!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I only eat organic and want to make you aware of the following!

More people are starting to realise the benefit of organic food, THATS WHY YOUR STORE TOMATOES ARE TASTELESS!!!

What! that doesnt make sense you say?

Let me explain.
There's more profit on non organic food, therefore the big stores dont want to stock it. But they realise that people ARE buying it, so they need to persuade people away from it.
So how can they do that?
They deliberately stock low grade organic food! Thats why your tomatoes are tasteless!

Get it!!!

Go to an independant organic grower and you'll have very nice tomatoes!

And remember, although generaly organic food does taste better, that is not what its about. The reason an ever increasing number of people are choosing organic food is because they want to get away from the nasty monsatan chemical drenched food.

Your shopping at the wrong place OP, but I suspect thats not what this thread is about is it!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Totally bland--- as in not tasty--- as in not juicy or particularly flavorful or in any meaningful tomatoeisk kind of way, worth the $20+ dollars we just paid for them -

My husband was just wondering if people under a certain age will ever know what a tomato or anything else is supposed to taste like. Rewrite your story and make it any veggie or fruit, none taste like they should, sometimes you actually have to spit them out!

Agreed, but thats not because they're organic, its because they are force grown for profit, not taste.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
Totally bland--- as in not tasty

One word: Costco.

We only get our produce from Costco. It's handled SIGNIFICANTLY less than grocery stores, and is typically from food service channels, so the quality will be better. Sometimes they have organic.

Their avocados are always better than anything you get at the grocery store, and never bruised.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

This is the absolutely the case with all edible members of the nightshade family. Peppers are another great example, over watering will cause them to be mild and flavorless.

The other issue with any store bought tomato, organic or otherwise is that they are all transported in the same refrigerated trucks and then placed in refrigerated storage. Refrigeration damages the cell walls and will cause them to be mealy and flavorless.

Another great reason to wait until you can get them direct from the farm is that generally they will give you a taste right there so you know what you are getting.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
That reminds me that I need to get my container tomato going. We usually head to our local farmer's market and buy a Purple Cherokee for it. My husband loves to make a sort of skillet hash with a tomato and a summer squash and zucchini all sautéed together in a skillet with a little butter.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
And what might I ask (other than these insignificant taste quibbles) is wrong with Monsanto hydroponically grown 'Organic Tomatoid' (TM).....It's the future you know!

edit on 25-4-2014 by squarehead666 because: clarity

new topics

top topics

join