It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

View homosexually tolerant film, or school faces lawsuit

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
The Laws of your country do not outlaw homosexuality, they expressly permit people to make their own choices about lifestyle. Like it or not, Homosexuality is acceptable by Law in your country.

Its just as ignorant as those who don't want evolution to be taught in schools.

Well it is becoming more and more acceptable in the society because people will not make a stand for morality. The Agenda in which you speak is bringing medical benefits for couples yet unmarried heterosexual can not get them.

Well that would be true but ONLY evolution can be taught in public schools here, as creation is considered religion.

Like I say it is OK to discriminate against Christians.....it is actually in vogue to do so it would seem. I would think that both Theories should be taught but that isn't how it works.

Go to a university and out creation down on an exam and see what happens.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Kano,
Now i do NOT agree with the REASONS that Ed uses most of the time (there are more than religious reasons involved here) but i agree with his premise...

Kano says,

Not wanting children to learn tolerance for others just because your religious beliefs don't think we should tolerate others is bad luck. Its just as ignorant as those who don't want evolution to be taught in schools.
Hmm this sounds like intolorance of intolorance if you ask me....discrimination knows NO bounds. Schools shouldnt teach "gay sensativity" if theyre not going to teach creationism alongside evolution...
SOME special interest minority groups get tohave their ideologies taught but some dont? Who is deciding this?

Why is it wrong for any parent to teach boundaries, morals, or other forms of what is and is not acceptable behaivior? Even if this means they will learn to "not tolorate"something. (i expect my kids to learn things that are intolorable, like murder or sex crimes for example, AND i would enforce it, meaning not tolorate this from them.)

What differance does the reason being used to teach this "intolorance" as you call it? (others call it moral values) Meaning the reason may be religious, cultural, heritage, ignorance, fear, poor experiances with the "intolorated" ones in question, etc etc.....Who decides why if not the parents...(i do agree to culturalization of students to some degree, meaning the school teaches things that the OVERALL culture condones)

Intolorance and hate are NOT the same things....i can disagree (be intolorant) with your politics, religion, sexuality, or anything, and that does not mean i HATE you or wish you harm or repression....
It does mean that I can not wish to see it promoted however, and be active in doing things to either keep the "promotions" even with others, or support promotion of my agenda.

Ultimatly, a society has the RIGHT to set up its cultural norms, including deciding that NOT promoting an ideology is the course of action. (usually thru democratic means, but ANY governmental form qualifies, its just that democracy seems the fairest to the masses.)

Are you advocating removal of the majority of citizens rights to exercise thru democracy, (for whatever reason they choose) a culturalmoral that says..."this is fine if you like this idea, but we are not going to promote this culturally or institutionally"?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Yes it is not the homosexual people that christians dislike but it is their behaviour. Once you make the choice to be homosexual you forfeit all your rights to be married or have children. They can do whatever they please. But it is not normal how do we reproduce if people want to marry the same sex. It just was not meant to be that way.

I am sorry if I offend anyone but it is the truth. Just as God's word is the truth but you all wont accept it because it shows you how bad you really are. People like to justify what they do wrong. What you justify you buy.

"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:18,19

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
Schools shouldnt teach "gay sensativity" if theyre not going to teach creationism alongside evolution...
SOME special interest minority groups get tohave their ideologies taught but some dont? Who is deciding this?

*sigh*
Homosexuality isn't a religion. Plus it's not homosexuals vs. Christians (there are some gay Christians you know...) Also, not all Christians think homosexuality is wrong. Creationism shouldn't be taught along evolution because it has nothing to do with science and everything to do with the Christian faith. Get it? Religion and public schools shouldn't be combined period!

Why is it wrong for any parent to teach boundaries, morals, or other forms of what is and is not acceptable behaivior? Even if this means they will learn to "not tolorate"something. (i expect my kids to learn things that are intolorable, like murder or sex crimes for example, AND i would enforce it, meaning not tolorate this from them.)

No one is telling anyone how to raise their own children...

Intolorance and hate are NOT the same things....i can disagree (be intolorant) with your politics, religion, sexuality, or anything, and that does not mean i HATE you or wish you harm or repression....
It does mean that I can not wish to see it promoted however, and be active in doing things to either keep the "promotions" even with others, or support promotion of my agenda.

Once again...the whole reasoning for the tolerence video's is to educate children to tolerate homosexuals, it's an attempt to put a stop to gay hate crimes. If it bothers you that your child may be subject to a video like this because of your own faith...then by all means send them to a private school or you can homeschool them. Chances are though that if the parent doesn't accept homosexuality then neither will the child. Just like there are some of you people out there who were taught evolution in school but still believe in Creationism...no one "forced" you to accept evolution you have your own "free mind".

Ultimatly, a society has the RIGHT to set up its cultural norms, including deciding that NOT promoting an ideology is the course of action. (usually thru democratic means, but ANY governmental form qualifies, its just that democracy seems the fairest to the masses.)

The video was not promoting the gay lifestyle...you people are just choosing to see it that way...meanwhile are completely missing the whole point. It's all how you define "tolerate"...the whole point of the stupid god damn video was to prevent future gay hate crimes. Will it be effective? Not as long as there are bigoted parents...

When people start murdering Christain extremist eggheads for their actions or beliefs then maybe you guys will get a special tolerence video as well...deal?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Keep quoting ed, maybe I can find some Dr Seuss and quote back, it would be as relevant.

This is not teaching kids to be gay, or love gays. It is teaching them not to hate gays. That it isn't OK to bash gays or abuse gays. How is that a bad thing?

Very simple, Kano, we do not teach our children to hate homosexuals to begin with.
That is a very nice thought, very naive, but that isn't what this is about. Your thought is exactly what they want to you to think. I don't know what the issue is there in Australia, but I do understand it here in the States.

Regardless, this gets so boring, the slug-fests over the same crap. This is the redundancy department all over again again!

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Very simple, Kano, we do not teach our children to hate homosexuals to begin with.

Yes I wouldn't for a minute think you would, nor does anyone else in this thread it seems. But clearly there are a lot of children who are intolerant of gays. It is only fair for the education system to ensure that all children are educated about the issue and understand that it is not ok to hate homosexuals, or to treat them harshly.

I simply don't understand why people are afraid of letting their children do any of this tolerance training. Theres no chance of any of these good christian children 'choosing' to turn gay after seeing a film that tells them its not ok to vilify gays is it? The only possible risk is for those who are already gay to not be afraid of acknowledging it. Why should loving parents be afraid of that?

That is a very nice thought, very naive, but that isn't what this is about. Your thought is exactly what they want to you to think.

Who is 'they'? Its starting to sound like the 'they' that fills so many wild conspiracy theories. They faked the moon landing, they want fluoride in the water to make us dumber, they don't want us to hate gays for being gay. What evil bastards.

As for myself, I don't even really know any gay people, I've met plenty in and around the place, through work or just out and about. To be honest at first I was a little put off, growing up in a smallish country town. But after a while I realised I was just being an idiot by treating them any differently than I would any other random person. I'm secure enough in my own sexuality, let them follow their feelings, let them live their own life. A life in which they should have the right not to be vilified for the choices they make. Choices that are not against the law. If this means children have to see an hour film on being tolerant of others than thats what it means. Theres no logical reason to be offended by that.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
ONCE AND FOR ALL,

IT IS THE TEACHING OF THE IDEA THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS ACCEPTABLE AND NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BEHAVIOR THAT OFFENDS US.

This sums it up nicely.....

If homosexuality has been proven to be exisiting in the animal kingdom, where no norms or mores are passed down regarding anything sexual, where it's all pheromone based, we can settle the argument that people are born gay.
So, as with other diffrences or defects that set people apart at birth, how can you people preach that homosexuality is a sin!?!?
A film on tolerance, especially for the home spun ignorant seed that you people are forcing on society as moral children, evidently was needed because some such moral individual(s) had done something against a sinner.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yes, sue the school and take away funds which will force them to raise taxes so these kids can get a proper education and not a lesson in fag loving.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Well, I guess your thought process works for you.

I for one will never compare myself to animals. We have something they don't.

Conciousness.

I have nothing against homosexuality, but If religious values can't be tought at schools. Homosexual tolerance shouldn't be tought either.

The parents should be teaching both. It's their decision. Not the public school systems to rasie their children how they see fit.

I'm sorry if I don't teach my kids about homosexual lifestyle (I dont have any yet BTW.. kids that is) but the fact is I want Grandchildren some day. If for some reason however my child or children adopt a homosexual lifestyle... I won't crucify them for it. I really don't think it will happpen anyways because my children will be raised in religious environment. (private schools, church, etc.)

That doesn't mean I need homosexual tolerance training BTW.

Public schools should be focusing on the basics... nothing else.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by LostSailor]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Considering how miserably public schools are failing at teaching children basic skills like reading, spelling, math and science I really think that there are better uses for the schools money than tolerance training. Its one of the many reasons my children will attend private schools.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869

Originally posted by Amethyst

I'm intolerant of sin. How's that?

Your intolerance and HATRED is the biggest sin. How sad you teach your children to HATE. Thats not good, you should know that.

Where did I say I hated anyone, and that I'm teaching my child to hate people?

Oh, that's right. Calling an action/behavior wrong is hate. My bad.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Oh, BTW, in case someone missed it here...humans are not animals. Forget the THEORY of evolution--that's a crock.

So it doesn't matter what animals do. Humans have no good excuse to act like animals.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Oh, BTW, in case someone missed it here...humans are not animals. Forget the THEORY of evolution--that's a crock.

So it doesn't matter what animals do. Humans have no good excuse to act like animals.

Scientists use classifications to group things in this world together that share SOME commen elements. Rocks, plants, and animals. These are not evolution related classifications, mind you. I certainly know you are not a scientist, but If you were, you would probably group humans as animals although yes, i will admit (and I know you will agree with this) some people are dumb as rocks when it comes to obtuse closedmindedness about love and goodness and acceptance.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Well, I guess your thought process works for you.

I for one will never compare myself to animals. We have something they don't.

Conciousness.

I have nothing against homosexuality, but If religious values can't be tought at schools. Homosexual tolerance shouldn't be tought either.

The parents should be teaching both. It's their decision. Not the public school systems to rasie their children how they see fit.

I'm sorry if I don't teach my kids about homosexual lifestyle (I dont have any yet BTW.. kids that is) but the fact is I want Grandchildren some day. If for some reason however my child or children adopt a homosexual lifestyle... I won't crucify them for it. I really don't think it will happpen anyways because my children will be raised in religious environment. (private schools, church, etc.)

That doesn't mean I need homosexual tolerance training BTW.

Public schools should be focusing on the basics... nothing else.

I hate to break it to you LostSailor but I went to a religious school and was raised in a religious environment. Certainly not a whiff of tolerence training from either my family or the teachers (openly ranted about queers) nor the other kids, (merciless bullying of any kid deemed even remotely sissy), thank God for the ability to hide what I was from them but apart from that all a religious environment achieved was making the inevitable a far more painful drawn out process than it needed to be (inevitable meaning if you are made gay you're going to be gay). I'm glad you wouldn't crucify your kids that means there's hope for you yet, my Mum used all the old arguments being trotted out here and it wasn't until one of her kids was at risk of intolerence that she started realising how important that and respect and acceptence of others is.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm so glad we got something accomplished with this thread.

I just wonder when some of you will pull your heads from your asses, and stop the election 2004 garbage.

I would recommend that most of you reflect as to why you actually come to this board in the first place, and if you give a damn about its motto.

I'm not even sure some know what reasonable conversation is, let alone trying to have a constructive conversation. The ideas in this thread are crap, and rarely discuss the topic at hand.

It always comes down to "Them damn dirty gays want to..." or "Those poor innocent homosexuals merely want..."

Screw it. I'm done.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Forget the THEORY of evolution--that's a crock.

lmao! I was worried that you might have some valid points, and that perhaps what you said came not from deep-seated religious brainwashing, but considered analysis of the facts. My bad.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubermunche

I hate to break it to you LostSailor but I went to a religious school and was raised in a religious environment. Certainly not a whiff of tolerence training from either my family or the teachers (openly ranted about queers) nor the other kids, (merciless bullying of any kid deemed even remotely sissy), thank God for the ability to hide what I was from them but apart from that all a religious environment achieved was making the inevitable a far more painful drawn out process than it needed to be (inevitable meaning if you are made gay you're going to be gay). I'm glad you wouldn't crucify your kids that means there's hope for you yet, my Mum used all the old arguments being trotted out here and it wasn't until one of her kids was at risk of intolerence that she started realising how important that and respect and acceptence of others is.

Um... I went to Private schools also. I'll teach my kids the tolerance they need. It shouldn't be taught in public schools. Not if religion can't that is.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
If administrators of Kentucky's Boyd County school district can't find a way to force all students to attend sexual orientation and gender identity "tolerance training," the American Civil Liberties Union is threatening to take them to court � again.

Ten months ago, the district settled a lawsuit with the ACLU over the right of a student group, the Gay-Straight Alliance, to meet on campus. The year-long litigation strained relations in the conservative northeast portion of the state.[...]
The agreement stipulated all would attend "mandatory anti-harassment workshops," including the viewing of an hour-long "training" video covering sexual orientation and gender identity issues for middle and high school students.

This is a little bit different than what was intended no? I thought, wow, thats wrong, but now I see that, this school is trying to break its word.

Why are you in favour of them breaking a deal that they agreed to?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Just my opinion but the taxpayer funded public schools are no place for social issues. The system in KY is strapped so lets get more funds toward acedemics and leave the socialization to parents. If this trainig course isn't part of the state adopted curriculum that students must meet to graduate, then it cannot be forced upon them. I think its time we let parents worry about the anal health of their kids and teachers worry about whether or not they can read, write, add, and subtract.

BTW, I believe sodomy is still illegal in KY so how can we have a class teaching tolerance for something thats against the law? Its an exit only people. Any MD. in the country (whos not threatened with lawsuits) will tell ya that. Aside from the dreaded prostate exam (YIKES!!), lets use it for what its biologically intended...mmkay?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
heeyyy...

I went to school at Boyd County High... class of 88.

MY brother has 2 kids in the Boyd County schood district and for the reasons of this topic, he has chosen to home school his kids.

My brother has found religion over the past few years and feels that homsexuality is wrong.... so he's dead set against sending his kids to school there.

I don't agree with home schooling, but that is a different subject.

on this topic,

I don't agree with the students having to view this... it's wrong, I also don't agree with the Gay Student Alliance or whatever they're calling it...

[edit on 29-11-2004 by elevatedone]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join