It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planetary Disks in Hubble Archive Uncovered by Astronomical Forensics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

By employing a new image processing technique, astronomers have obtained near-infrared scattered light photos of disks seen around newer stars in the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes database.
The images reveal evidence for newly formed planets, according to a NASA press release.

Astronomers made the discovery while using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.
"If astronomers initially miss something in their review of data, they can make new discoveries by revisiting earlier data with new image processing techniques, thanks to the wealth of information stored in the Hubble data archive," said NASA.
This is the technique Rémi Soummer, of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore, Md.,

PLANETARY DISKS IN HUBBLE ARCHIVE UNCOVERED BY ASTRONOMICAL FORENSICS

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I find it odd at the frequency of new sightings. My imagination goes wild over such issues. Disk shaped? That says a lot! My science classes tell me it may be gases but that would keep the shape of a disk would it?
The image bar has changed if this image doesnt work please go to the link.
[atsimg]Image images.autoworldnews.com...[/atsimg]

edit on 25/4/14 by masqua because: edited 'All Caps' title

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: wonderworld

Doesn't gravity towards the center play a part in these discs?

They don't look unusual or anything.

Also the Hubble having a "back-up" of information to go over and process isn't odd either, it takes time to study and analyze everything.

And from your link:

The two images at top reveal debris disks around young stars uncovered in archival images taken by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope. The illustration beneath each image depicts the orientation of the debris disks.

edit on 4/25/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I think you may have misread the article, there are no disc shaped planets, the disc shape they're discussing is like that around Saturn. Except in this case it is a disc of planet forming dust around a star.

edit on 25-4-2014 by AlphaHawk because: Clarity

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The article headline is a tiny bit misleading. These would more appropriately be called proto-planetary discs around the new stars. They are indeed comprised of gas and dust and will eventually form into new planets. These look rather typical. I think the "big deal" is that they weren't obvious when the data was initially examined.

ETA: for further clarification, the article isn't saying that these are disc shaped planets, it is showing you a newborn star system before the planets have formed. Hence the proto planetary disc. At the center is the new star, the disc is the gaseous body surrounding it that will coalesce into planets.

edit on 25-4-2014 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Nothing out of the ordinary.

They are using new techniques to find things that weren't viewable before.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Nothing out of the ordinary.

They are using new techniques to find things that weren't viewable before.

Geebus....lighten up...put a smile on that grouchy alien avatar......this is good news...think what they'll find next.....we already paid for the pictures

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well,,, I did read it correctly but have a lot of questions.
In most cosmology models there were early periods of the universe where there was explosive inflation, where two points were receding away from each other at very rapid speed.
Nature can do it, can we do it? What I’m wondering about is our new use of nano and photon tech and manipulation.
A ship still couldn’t exceed light speed in a local region of space. But a theoretical propulsion system he sketched out manipulated in “space time”” by generating a so called (warp bubble) that would expand space on one side of a spacecraft and contract it on another side. Do you see what I mean?
I think the key word is Faster than the speed of light or warp speed according to NASA.
Unlike the RINGS of Saturn this is a disk shape. This is still a new breakthrough in technology/Science and very interesting!

Look at those pics. Those are 3D, what is the silver looking bubble thing in the middle? I find it fascinating

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

The silver looking thing in the center is the new star. The disc is technically called an Accretion Disk. It's where the planets will from and what they will form from.

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

No sir, we here at the alien avatars do not have a sense of humour we're aware of.

new topics

top topics

join