It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Fossils Discovered Inside Glass Asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Ancient Fossils Discovered Inside Glass Asteroids

A series of ancient fossils have been discovered inside an asteroid.

But before you get over-excited, no - it's not evidence of some kind of mysterious extra-terrestrial dinosaur.

In fact the fossils (which originated on Earth, obviously) were created in the instant that an asteroid hit the Earth millions of years ago.

Something which, it turns out, isn't that rare.

I dunno...

I read this several times and it got me wondering if it's possible SOME of these fossils may NOT be of terrestrial origins? I know, my tinfoil hat may be a bit tight this morning *It's been a long work week.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It is an interesting thought Slayer.I don't think that your tinfoil hat is on too tight.Intelligent speculation is your stock in trade.

I wonder how they could prove that the fossils are not from earth.It is possible that life could be the same as here elsewhere in the universe.Now my tinfoil hat is on too tight.......ouch.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It would seem to me that anything smaller than the rock itself would be totally obliterated upon impact.

Or burnt nicely enough to alter what got hit anyway.

Did they post more of this stuff since they indicated it wasn't such a rare thing?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Regardless this is a pretty cool find! Because it appears to be a part of a tree I'm betting it is from Earth, however what if other asteroids/meteors also have fossils from the distant past, before mankind, from Mars, or the planet that caused the asteroid belt?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
There was a thread about this .....
ATS thread by Gortex

I think that the title by the HuffPost is misleading... of course they play it straight in the article, but the title is wrong they way they worded it.
ETA: More specifically, I've never heard of a 'glass asteroid'. The glass that they found was terrestrial debris that was melted by the intense heat generated by the asteroid's collision with the Earth. Think tektite.
The debris wasn't found in a glass asteroid.
edit on b000000302014-04-25T08:58:14-05:0008America/ChicagoFri, 25 Apr 2014 08:58:14 -0500800000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Indeed, the title should read "fossils found in glass-like debris melted in an asteroid impact. There are no "glass asteroids". They are stony or metallic, although they can sometimes contain glass-like olivine inclusions.
edit on 25-4-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Very cool!!!

The sad thing is, no matter how many times this happens, the explanation will always be the same.

I'm with you OP. Surely not EVERY one is from Earth?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
There was a thread about this .....
ATS thread by Gortex

I think that the title by the HuffPost is misleading... of course they play it straight in the article, but the title is wrong they way they worded it.
ETA: More specifically, I've never heard of a 'glass asteroid'. The glass that they found was terrestrial debris that was melted by the intense heat generated by the asteroid's collision with the Earth. Think tektite.
The debris wasn't found in a glass asteroid.

Of course it is,
the ateroid was the cause. Stupid heading.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

SnF, Slayer!

I'm with you on this one. Life might be the same throughout the universe with only minor variations here and there. I heard a long time ago that there are "others" who walk among us and they aren't people. How do we really know what is and what isn't?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonegurkha
It is an interesting thought Slayer.I don't think that your tinfoil hat is on too tight.Intelligent speculation is your stock in trade.

I wonder how they could prove that the fossils are not from earth.It is possible that life could be the same as here elsewhere in the universe.Now my tinfoil hat is on too tight.......ouch.

Isotopic ratios would be different. See last week's Cosmos show.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I thought some here would find it interesting.

top topics

join