It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relief for the American Service people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I am a veteran and I personally think it is a shame at how low paid some members of our active duty force are. An E-6 married with children is most likely on food stamps and other government assistance programs and I personally think its a shame.

Politicians will tell you the budget is too tight... we don't have the money to pay our soldiers more..... I say

Bullcrap

No money to give soldiers a pay raise? Bullhockey!!!

All active duty soldiers under the pay grade of E-6 and below should be immediately granted total immunity from state and federal taxes. That's a pretty decent pay raise right there that they could use to take care of their families while they take care of us.

edit on 4/25/2014 by kosmicjack because: remoed "rant"

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Haven't looked at military wages for a long time since I was in. You're right these wages are pretty bad. A little over WalMart for the E-1's - E-4's. E-5 and E-6's are a little better but not much.. This is pretty grim.

Go Army

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Seems to be the case in most countries, sadly. The politicians make a crap ton of money complete with big fat pensions waiting for them when they choose to "retire", while the grunts they send off to do the fighting for them are barely getting by.

How can any man in a suit on capitol hill or anywhere else in government believe he is worth more than one who risks his life for his country? Are the political bullets he spends all of his time dodging more dangerous than the real ones flying over the heads of those who defend him? You would think so based on how they are paid.

Crooks, liars, and cowards. Back in the day real leaders would ride into battle with their warriors, not cower in their ivory towers while voting themselves pay raises.
edit on 24-4-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
My thing is, why did you join the military? Did you think you where protecting or nation? Because your not!! Whether you realize it or not, which a lot of milatary personal are finally, your not protecting #!!! Do you deserve a raise? For sure!, like a majority of the paying do in low paying, busting ass jobs. All the military is doing is doing the will of the politicians, elites and the government. Are you truly protecting at this point? Hell no. Your spreading "democracy" and violence and are lead to belive you are bringing peace which you aren't. my advice, get out. this country can't even support itself at this point. why should we be trying to support other countries. no offense and I thank you for being in the armed forces because I once waSVTRIENDBTO get in hut, its a waste of your time.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: GroidNificent

I joined the military to better myself and to make sure I could get a decent job when I got out of the service. Due to maxing the tests back in 87, I was pretty much able to choose my career path,,, I chose Military Occupational Skill (MOS) 32D, which was back then a "Fixed Station Circuit Controller". In other words, I worked in a Technical Control Facility (TCF) or a basically a communications hub with satellites. Once I got assigned to a station that required me to obtain a Top Secret clearance, I was pretty much set. I stayed in for 7 1/2 years, got out and went from being an E-4 to a GS-9.

I retired a couple of years ago as a GS-13 making over $100,000 a year...not bad for only a high school diploma... the point is, the only way I got my government job was because of my military training... there is no school you can go to and learn that particular skill set other than the military. Every single person at my job site was prior military and all of us were in the telecommunications fields in our respective services.

But the vast majority of military skills do not equate to high paying civilian jobs...... they struggle when they get out of the service to find work.... and many now a days have PSTD and other issues as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
When i was in the Navy (AT3 AW) i was getting tannif, and wic and my family still barely made it by. I think as an E-4 i was making $1800 or so a month which is pathetic. A ploitician makes what $200,000? does one term and gets a pension for the rest of their life? Sickening.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: V22tech

I was married with 2 kids as a E-4... we had to get help at times....it was sad lol.

I just don't get the concept of making them pay taxes while on active duty,,, they could use that money and then some.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Im active duty army and while my pay isnt awesome I budget everything, I live below my means, I keep the lights on, food on the table, gas in the car, and still have money left over.

I receive no assistance from government welfare programs. My wife is home taking care of our little one. We do ok because we have some discipline.

That said, there are some that are struggling in the ranks while politicians and pundits say we make too much, or that we are willing to take a pay cut.

If I took a pay cut I'd probably be hurting a bit. How much is hard to say without crunching the numbers, but it wouldnt be good.

Suffice to say that when my contract is up I'm not staying in the Army. I can do my job for a lot more in the private sector and NOT have to deploy.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's literally sickening. Nothing like outright telling troops they're nothing but fodder. Go risk your life for my agenda which is nothing but to carry out my master's agenda which is to open the door wherever they want one open... and they can't even pay you worth a damn to do it.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Having been recently in Afghanistan, there may be a nefarious agenda there. Who really knows. But I certainly wasn't there for American freedom.

We protected Afghan elections, Afghan cities, towns, and villages, Afghan interests. If we were to believe we were fighting for any freedom at all it would be for Afghan freedom. It's a notion hard for me not to believe considering what I was involved with and it is hard for me to NOT be proud of that.

That said, if government is just going to treat that hard and deadly work as if it were worth nothing then I have no incentive to stay in the Army and leave my family for the freedom of others far from the shores I call home.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

If that's truly what it was then you should be proud. I hope it was.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
What happened to those $100,000 bonuses the government was handing out to soldiers for each additional tour in the warzone when GW Bush was president? Also, don't soldiers get free food and barracks accommodations on the base and a living allowance for rent purposes off base. I read that the pay for an E8 is about $50,000 per year and a $2500 per month living allowance. That's over $80,000 per year. Seems pretty good wages to me. If I am incorrect, please let me know.
edit on 25-4-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Haven't looked at military wages for a long time since I was in. You're right these wages are pretty bad. A little over WalMart for the E-1's - E-4's. E-5 and E-6's are a little better but not much.. This is pretty grim.

Go Army

I was active duty in the 80's, and what everyone must remember, while these numbers seem low, they also have housing, meals, and uniforms added to these for single members. For married members there are other allowances added for housing, food, and uniforms, and these benefits aren't taxed. If I remember right, my allowances amounted to about a third of my gross pay.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Also, after serving a number of years, soldiers gets 70% of base pay as retirement income for the remainder of their lives. I believe this includes regular health insurance and Tricare, which covers any remaining expense. All paid by the government. IMO, soldiers are treated very well, in terms of pay in the US. The ones that decided to make the military a career choice, that is.
edit on 25-4-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

But what people fail to take into account is that it takes 2 people working in a marriage these days to make it.....it's very difficult on one income.... and soldiers move....a lot.... I moved 4 times in 7 1/2 years.... sometimes its extremely difficult for a spouse to find work after moving ..it's hard to deal with.

I can't speak for single soldiers,,, I was married when I went in.

So why are soldiers required to pay federal and state taxes while on active duty? They could use that money for better purposes,,, I would like to see a national movement to make some enlisted soldiers exempt from any taxes while on active duty.

As far as retirement benefits go, I am talking E-6 and below,,, very few people if any retire at E-6 anymore... mostly E-7 and above... and I don't think that retirement benefits are set in stone anymore... there is a big push to reduce or cut out some retirement.

A lot of people have heartburn with people doing 20 years and drawing a retirement check at as young as 38 and are trying to change military retirement pay to match the private sector; ie... you couldn't draw your military retirement until you turn 62 or whatever.

If that happened, you would see a significant drop in the number of people putting in their 20 years... and trust me...when push comes to shove and the SHTF... you are going to need those people with that experience.

edit on R472014-04-25T21:47:54-05:00k474Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R542014-04-25T21:54:55-05:00k544Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

I am a veteran and I personally think it is a shame at how low paid some members of our active duty force are. An E-6 married with children is most likely on food stamps and other government assistance programs and I personally think its a shame.

Politicians will tell you the budget is too tight... we don't have the money to pay our soldiers more..... I say

Bullcrap

No money to give soldiers a pay raise? Bullhockey!!!

All active duty soldiers under the pay grade of E-6 and below should be immediately granted total immunity from state and federal taxes. That's a pretty decent pay raise right there that they could use to take care of their families while they take care of us.

I'm in total agreement with you. Years ago I was in the military and we had the same issue, when you where married it was tough unless the wife had a job also. If your single no problem but getting a wife and kid there was struggle unless the wife had a decent job.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I wanted to clarify my remark about 20 years... I use that term because when I joined, that was the magic number of years til you could retire. The vast majority of people continue their service once they hit that mark because they love what they do and it has become their life. As long as you are healthy there is no reason not to serve longer, it's like any other job, the more time you have the better your retirement benefits in the end.

I think most people are in their mid to late 40's when they finally get out.

edit on R432014-04-25T23:43:26-05:00k434Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I did go ahead and make a petition on whitehouse.gov

signatures would help:

petitions.whitehouse.gov..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> petitions.whitehouse.gov...

and of course as soon as you hit submit, you realize you screwed up the title.... no way to edit it.
edit on R162014-08-02T02:16:25-05:00k168Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I hear you! Yet Congress keeps voting to give themselves pay raises and keep sitting on committee chairs for decades. There is a reason they are incumbents.. $$$$.
The whole VA scandal. Now that it was "exposed", us taxpayers have to foot the bill to fix the problem. I'm sorry, take away all the lawmaker's salaries instead, and not pass a bill that costs the rest of us billions. They are supposed to be our representatives and watchdogs.

top topics

join