It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Florida's new proposed firearm bill allows profiling!

page: 1

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:25 PM
Ok, so first FL is the state I live in.
Second the article contains lots of the race card, I do not play that so lets keep this conversation civilized.
I know numerous people on the forum here are pro 2nd and a lot are not. Even if you are not, how can you support profiling? RESPECT PEOPLE! Please.

So lets start.
The bill is slated to be introduced in May, it would expand the background check and get rid of the three day waiting period opting for longer CCW are exempt still. Ok compromise I get it. Politics.

Here is where the bill gets real shady real quick.

Stated in the bill profiling courses would “teach firearm retailers about warning signs for potential criminal or terrorist activity.”  It unorthodoxly lists examples of those sorts of “warning signs,”  too.  “The use of slang and/ or aggressive verbal behavior, baggy clothing, excessive jewelry, religious garb/ clothing, and any signs that the customer might be visiting the United States illegally would be some, but not all, of the  things said retailers would learn to look for before determining whether they can safely make a firearm sale.”

So basically some teenager at the pawn shop can decide if your worthy to own a gun.
But wait it gets even better!

The law would also allow law enforcement to “enter the homes of suspected firearm owners and search the grounds without a warrant, so long as they have probable cause to believe firearms are on the premises.”  The law enforcement agents would need to qualify the warrantless search using the same profiling methods taught by the course and discussed in the bill.

So now police can conduct swat raids on the citizens based on warentless profiling.

The rest of the article explains how it is racist. Hell even the ACLU say thia bill is # up.

So basicly if you fit "there profile" you can expect to be raided. You look wong, tattoos, religion you now can have a police raid on your house "looking for guns".

This bill absolutely crosses the line. It is blatant to see the agenda. I doubt it will pass as Rick Scott is up for re-election, but who the hell writes this? How can so many "freedoms" be violated in one bill with someone thinking it is ok?

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:30 PM
a reply to: JValhalla
As a licensed carrier, I support some checks, but this is way out there. I believe its another way of TPTB are saying to us "Its for your own safety and neighbors etc..." Bull.

Sadly, with that premise and thought...they will prob get away with doing some if not all of it.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:35 PM
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Exactly we have done our checks. I don't know where you live but here in order to get our CCW we need a background check not only by the sheriff we also have to have our prints sent to the FBI for the ok.

We have been checked.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:53 PM
You wouldn't happen to know the bill number so I can see it's actual wording do you? I was trying out some google foo but apparently there is quite a few headline laws on the slate here. If you were wondering the others are "a loosening of the stand your ground law and FL legalizing warning shots. It's almost comical the laws proposed here I swear but this one here has me ready to find a new school to attend and leave for good.
edit on 24-4-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:21 PM
a reply to: RickyD

As I read it and other sources it appears that the bill hasn't been finalized yet but will be submitted in May for approval to vote.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:32 PM

Michigan is where I am, and I had the same as you in applying for permit. In MIami Fl in 1976, I purchased a Ruger 38 Special for a security job on Miami Beach.

I bought it in Coral Gables where I lived, paid it in full, and had to go file it with Dade County Sheriff and wait 5 days for clearance to pick it up from the store.

And that was in not much I take it... has changed in Florida these days.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: add

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:14 AM

Another example of a bad trade-off. They know many 2nd amendment activists will support it without thinking of the ramifications. Then they'll wonder why it is lawful for that SWAT team to raid their home after being spotted wearing a "WWJD" shirt.

"Sure, you guys can get guns easier... but we get to raid you easier, too. Sound fair? No? But you're gonna sign it anyway? Good, here's a pen..."

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:24 AM
Most FFL's do this already whether right or wrong. Think about from their POV. They sell a gun to somebody who uses it in a crime and it's their life that's dragged through the mud. Their books that get a nice BATFE audit, their parking lot that gets filled with protesters.

I was "profiled" two summers ago by an FFL. I was wearing a hoodie and some busted up baggy jeans from working in the yard and immediately for whatever reason this guy behind the counter started in with the evil eye. Kept following me around. Got all pissy when I asked him to see a couple handguns. He even checked my ID before hand which is not required in this state just to check out a gun.

Eventually through conversation he must have decided I wasnt a "bad guy" and lightened up and became quite friendly.

Pisses me off when I get profiled under any circumstance but it's a fact of life that isnt going anywhere whether it's explicitly allowed or disallowed in law.

The searches and raids part, that's just insane.
edit on 25-4-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:37 AM

The profiling part is not going too far--any intelligent person would tell you that if someone looks suspicious when purchasing a deadly weapon (for whatever reason), it may be best not to sell it at that time to that individual. They can move on to the next shop that may not be so diligent. Think of it like a bartender--they're not supposed to overserve alcohol and allow someone to leave their establishment overly intoxicated. How do they know when someone has had too much? Profiling and common sense. I don't see a problem there.

I do, however, see a problem with the warrantless searches, so for the people's sake in Florida, I hope that doesn't pass. Even if it does, I get the feeling a lawsuit will be brought up against it and win for unconstitutionality, assuming your excerpt from the law give the total picture of that part of it.

new topics

top topics