It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cymry or the true history of Britain.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The Caledonians

In 305, Constantius Chlorus re-invaded the northern lands of Britain although the sources are vague over their claims of penetration into the far north and a great victory over the "Caledones and others" (Panegyrici Latini Vetares, VI (VII) vii 2). The event is notable in that it includes the first recorded use of the term 'Pict' to describe the tribes of the area.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This is a mother goddess statue found in Wales.
It is described as holding a round fruit and a fir tree. I can understand the fruit part, but have never seen anything with a fir tree in Wales before. There is a legend of Saint Boniface and a fir, but thats not in Wales. Apparently it represents the tree of life. They are not represented in the Cad Goddeu, The Batttle of the Trees from the Llyfr Taliesin.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: urbanghost
The Caledonians

In 305, Constantius Chlorus re-invaded the northern lands of Britain although the sources are vague over their claims of penetration into the far north and a great victory over the "Caledones and others" (Panegyrici Latini Vetares, VI (VII) vii 2). The event is notable in that it includes the first recorded use of the term 'Pict' to describe the tribes of the area.

They were the same people. Picts was a term used to describe all of the Northern tribes who began raiding south of the wall after the Romans left. Caledonians were a specific tribal confederation encountered by the Romans.

A brief summary of Pictish history beginning in 43 AD

www.pictavia.org...
edit on 4-5-2014 by Gallowglaich because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The Welsh are a weak nation, being subjugated by every invader that landed in Britain, finally being pushed back to the fringes of the island and being reduced to a tiny insignificant little country.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: urbanghost
a reply to: Gallowglaich
Everything I have wrote here can be found in the history books. Like I said show me some evidence that says different. If it is common knowledge like you say you should have no problem. Just randomly saying that's not true and disputing everything is not proving anything, it just your opinion and only means something to you. Give me a link to a webpage, an archaeological report, even a Wikipedia page if you have to, just give me something. Thats the way it works. I write something I have found, you come up with some other evidence disputing it, I look at it then I say but I have something else that disputes what you say, then you go away tip tapping on your keyboard until you find something else. This goes on until one of us has nothing else, then you usually find the truth. If after all that it turns out that some of what I have found out is not correct, then I will gladly change it to what is correct.
At this time you have proven nothing so what I have written stands. Unless you come carrying gifts of knowledge I will be carrying on with my thread.

This quote is interesting. I just proved you wrong twice, about Picts speaking Gaelic and coming from Ireland, and I linked you to articles to back up my statements, like you said to in these quotes. But instead I just get a lot of indignant denial....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gallowglaich
The Welsh are a weak nation, being subjugated by every invader that landed in Britain, finally being pushed back to the fringes of the island and being reduced to a tiny insignificant little country.

Well, you're full of brotherly celtic love aren't you!

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

Well, you're full of brotherly celtic love aren't you!

Since the start of the thread, he has been overstating the importance of the Britons at the expense of the the other Celts. Read the previous page and maybe you will see what made me so angry.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Well you learn something every day. Apparently a Pine tree is a Fir tree. There is a Pine tree in the Cad Goddeu, it is called the Ffenitwyd. Which translates in to Modern Welsh as ffynidwydd. The line is

"Ffenitwyd ygkynted."

Most translations say this translates to

"pine trees in the porch"

That is not what it says. In Modern Welsh the line says

"Ffynidwydd yn cyntedd"

Modern welsh meanings of words are no good when translating Old Welsh, you need to find the original meanings of the words as they change over time. For example cyntedd means porch but originally it meant part of a hall where the king sits, so it really translates as

Fir or Pine trees in the court
edit on 4-5-2014 by urbanghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I have been following and contributing since the beginning of this thread. This is the internet, sometimes peoples posts come over as badly written txt messages.

What I do know is, I don't agree with everything that is said in this thread, but rather than go on a personal attack if I disagree....I disregard....and just contribute with stuff or ask questions. Do you really have to go on the attack? That's all I'm saying...it's late, I'm tired, and thoroughly fed up with all the infighting on ATS.

What I do know is.....if the Celts aren't fighting somebody else...they fight each other...but if somebody attacks the Celts, they become a band of brothers......and ain't that the truth.

Rainbows
Jane

PS...I too have a contention about the Picts as presented by the op. As far as I know...NOBODY knows for certain where the Picts came from. What I do know is the original name for Glasgow for example was Glasgoed a Welsh word......
Anyway, I am off to bed

edit on 4-5-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Easy to say from behind your keyboard walk into my local valleys pub and say it you'll see how weak we are.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: 18731542

Easy to say from behind your keyboard walk into my local valleys pub and say it you'll see how weak we are.

Come into my glen and see how far you get.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

What I do know is the original name for Glasgow for example was Glasgoed a Welsh word

As is Edinburgh, it is called Din Eidyn in the Gododdin

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 18731542

Thank you.
But at the same time...like I said Celts are renowned as a warring peoples who if not fighting others...we fight amongst ourselves.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Something I found out today. Goidelic comes from the Old Welsh word Guoidel which means pirate or raider.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Come to Pollok and talk tough to some Neds, and then you'll see that it's true, the farther north you go, the tougher the men get.
edit on 4-5-2014 by Gallowglaich because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Come to Pollok and talk tough to some Neds, and then you'll see that it's true, the farther north you go, the tougher the men get.

how long it take you to google that bhoy

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Mhm...as I said...fighting amongst ourselves....

Pollok is an area south west of Glasgow, near Paisley. It is believed the name was adopted by some Breton knights in the retinue of Walter fitz Alan, Steward of Scotland to David I. Both families came via Shrewsbury, from Dol-de-Bretagne on the Brittany-Normandy border, around 1080, where Alan fitz Flaad was seneschal.

Pollok was later divided into Upper and Nether Pollok. It is believed that later Polloks had land confiscated and given to the Maxwell family for supporting Edward I's puppet "Scottish" king, Edward Balliol, against Robert the Bruce.

en.wikipedia.org...

Lets please stop the bickering, and just try and get on hey?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I often wonder which came first, the knowledge or the books. I jest.

I expect these crannogs were around a long, long time ago. www.crannog.co.uk... And I expect there will be remains somewhere in Wales.

The description of a mermaid is the top half of a human and the bottom half of a fish. Most fish swim horizontally so the bottom half is boat shaped. The old story about keeping the skin of the seal woman so she couldn't return to the sea is thought to refer to the seal intestine cockpit cover without which her kayak would not be seaworthy. Poor lady, I feel her sadness. There is even a family today in the Northern Isles who are known to be descended from the seal people.

Kayakers from the North have been washed up alive, though not for long, on the East coast of Albion in the not too distant past. Tim Severin proved how seaworthy the big skin boats are. One of their mistakes was to coat the interior of the vessel with fat before the voyage. They found out very greasily that it should be done several weeks before putting to sea to give time for it to soak in. Ah, the joys of living history.

I get criticised, usually by white do-gooder liberals, for what is perceived as my appropriation of native culture look. My Lakota brother has no problem. He knows we're all one. When I look at the similarities between our traditional benders and some traditional American dwellings, the possible use of traditional sweat lodges here, the discovery of bird-of-prey bones suggesting the use of their feathers in regalia, tied in with extensive sea travel, I see strong connections between far flung cultures.

As far as I'm aware the colonisation of the far North is thought to have started with summer visits to the West coast that extended into a gradual move inland. If we want to interpret the rise of a people we have to follow the boats. Speaking of which the Thames and the Severn are our biggest waterways and the shortest distance between them is straight through Gloucestershire.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Come into my glen and see how far you get.

The glens of Pollok? Oh aye, I know them well.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

As far as I'm aware the colonisation of the far North is thought to have started with summer visits to the West coast that extended into a gradual move inland. If we want to interpret the rise of a people we have to follow the boats. Speaking of which the Thames and the Severn are our biggest waterways and the shortest distance between them is straight through Gloucestershire.

Not necessarily. Doggerland was once a thriving homeland, and it seems like folk came that way too, thousands of years ago. Orkney wasn't the tiny islands it is now, so folk filtered in from the top down, as well. It's often thought that people started at the bottom and worked their way up, but it's not necessarily the case.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join