It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Cliven Bundy Responds to NYT Article

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 10:50 PM

originally posted by: arcnaver
Cliven Bundy may or may not be a racist. I don't know the man, but parading around a trophy black friend, (see, I'm not a racist, I have a black friend,) is not helping his case one bit with the blacks. This is all about perception and education. How many blacks in the hood or projects would believe that he wasn't simply a hateful racist if he'd said what he'd said while standing in the middle of them there? How many do you honestly believe that he'd come out of there unscathed? He may not have had any hateful intentions with his words, but tell that to them.

Those who seek to divide us a nation love to jump on carefully chosen (by them) words spoken in a casual setting and ignore the intent of the spoken word. When Mr. Bundy attempted to call attention to the plight of people whose skin color was different from his as being the same in that government had made vast promises to "help" and failed miserably in the attempt, he did so as a rancher, not a politician. He was attempting to find common ground and those who would divide us so they can conquer us jumped right in and picked on individual words, claiming that if he used those words, he is a racist. I think Rev. King is turning in his grave today.
The federal government attempted to take his grazing rights. They promised him that in return for paying his grazing fees the land would be under federal management and would be maintained and cared for as grazing lands. In other words, they would be his landlord. But they have not lived up to their promises and rather than maintaining and caring for the land as grazing land, they've done nothing except harass him and destroy his property.
What he was pointing out was that the US government has broken every promise ever made and does everything in its power to keep us on the porch rather in the workplace. With freedom comes power, that's why Rev. King marched for equality in hiring black people. He didn't march on Washington asking for money, he marched to ask for the unalienable right to be free by having a job to support a family.
Please take the time to read this letter written by Dr. King and try to understand his words, despite the fact that he used the term "Negro" in his writings.
Rev. King went to Birmingham to seek the justice promised to him by the US Constitution and the freedom given him by his God. For his efforts he was jailed.
After you've read his letter, ask yourself what would be the reaction of the people in the hood or the projects if you stood amongst them and read that letter without announcing who the author was?
What do you suppose Rev. King would say to the gangsters in the hood today?
Dr. King went to Memphis to seek justice for the sanitation workers. Black workers had a totally different pay scale than white workers. That was unjust so he held a rally to call out the governmental system that was fostering injustice.
There are a whole bunch of us out here who were around in those days. It was an educational time to grow up, marches for justice, marches against the crazy war, the excitement of the space race, and "duck and cover" drills of the Cold War. We didn't always agree on every single issue but we found ways to work together. We sat and talked or "rapped" in the parlance of the day about the issues that united us, the hope of freedom and justice for all. We believed in diversity, true diversity, not the "cookie cutter" diversity of today's society.
The attempts to divide an oppressed people began long before the current civil rights era. It was a proven method to use to appeal to the baser instincts present in humans. The US government recognized this when their labeling of five native tribes as "The Five Civilized Tribes" created tensions and discontent amongst the nations. It was a great success on the part of government because they could point to those not officially sanctioned as "savages" who don't even live in houses. They had another big success more recently when the politically-crowd presented us with "Native Americans" in their attempt to play language police. Russell Means had a few things to say about the PC crowd and none of it was complimentary.
In case I've not made it clear, Rev. King was one of my heroes. My father believed he would be the first black man to be elected president. When the threats to his life were made public, my father's comment was, "He's getting too powerful, they won't let him live."
At that time, relatives of mine were teachers/administrators in the Birmingham Public School system. They saw first-hand the results of brutality of the Birmingham Police Dept. and the disparity in treatment between blacks and whites. When local leaders and churches refused to stand up for their young people, those most concerned wrote to ask Dr. King for help. They had seen, as my aunt put it, "too many black eyes, bleeding heads and broken bones" inflicted on black youth by police. They were with these young people every day and knew that they were good kids. They were being used by cops as punching bags to intimidate both the youth and their parents.
Dr. King came to help. And from that effort came his letter from jail.
Rev. King was a black Southerner. My relatives were white Southerners. He was far more educated than they, they'd never gotten beyond a Masters' Degree. They shared a religion and a dream of the United States being free for all colors and creeds. That's a powerful dream. It's the dream the powers above us want to squash because they can't put us in a category in their computer.
If they can divide us into nice, easily computed groups they can then instruct each group to be intolerant of all other groups. Leftists must hate the militia and condemn them as domestic terrorists. Right-wingers must hate the Occupy crowd and denounce them as dope-smokers and X-ers.
I think Don Henley said it best:
"the barons in the balcony are laughing
And pointing to the pit, they say, "Aw look
They've grown accustomed to the smell
Now, people love that ...."

So how about we deprive them of their entertainment and get on with chasing the freedom of the dreams we share with each other and our offspring?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:56 PM
a reply to: Granite

Love him or hate him he is still an interesting fellow. Check out this update:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:58 PM
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

And Cliven, at his age, is not a product of today's society. So what's your point? Believe it or not, things were not PC back in the day when he was being raised and learning things.

new topics
<< 3  4  5   >>