It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

it was in georgia in america not georgia in the caucus regions of Eurasia. you can live in fiji. the cops there rarely have guns and i'm not saying move to north korea either. canada is nice but i think you might like fiji

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockoperawriter
frozen orange inside of a tubesock.

Best. Line. EVAR!

also, most creative theoretical weapon ever....

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

heard that from a ladyfriend who was in the army reserves when i was 12.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

you could end up dead from a million other things that you have no hope of detecting, assessing, reacting to, or defending against....

why not just live, instead of living in fear?

fear is a natural reaction to assess threats that allow you to "just live"....the person with nothing to fear are commonly called psychopaths, or sociopaths....these are people i do not want to be around, and need to be in an institution for the insane
edit on 10-5-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

you can control fear. have fear but control it

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

a reply to: buster2010

why does it matter if it's a public park? are public parks magical places where nothing bad can ever happen?

none of what you're saying makes any kind of sense.

So this man thought there was some kind of threat at the park? The reason why most people wear a gun is because there is a chance that something may happen where they may need to defend themselves. This guy was just walking around the parking lot who goes to the park just to stroll around the parking lot? I understand wearing one when walking through woods because of snakes, wild dogs and other animals that can attack you but a parking lot in a public park is a relatively safe place depending on the town and neighborhood. So why the need to wear a gun?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

always with the absolutes, jimmy..

i never said "don't fear anything", i said "don't fear EVERYTHING"...big difference, man..

of course you should be wary of crazy people, but you can't go through life assuming EVERYONE is crazy...that makes YOU a little crazy, don't you think?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

why?

why not?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

depends on the park parking lot

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

why does it matter if it's a public park? are public parks magical places where nothing bad can ever happen?

none of what you're saying makes any kind of sense.

So this man thought there was some kind of threat at the park? The reason why most people wear a gun is because there is a chance that something may happen where they may need to defend themselves. This guy was just walking around the parking lot who goes to the park just to stroll around the parking lot? I understand wearing one when walking through woods because of snakes, wild dogs and other animals that can attack you but a parking lot in a public park is a relatively safe place depending on the town and neighborhood. So why the need to wear a gun?

Schools are supposed to be safe, hospitals are supposed to be safe, malls are supposed to be safe, airports are supposed to be safe, but are they?

Why do we have all of these violent acts in places that are supposed to be safe? Would there be more safety if qualifed citizens were able to conceal and carry to stop a mad man attacking others?

Did the guy trip out and start shooting people?

Did he hurt anyone?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
they would probably did this in a park

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: MOMof3

And you have the right to go or not go. Your choice.

so if one of these mothers came over to the guy and started yelling at the guy to get out of the park with the gun, and he refused, and then she came back with a cane or something hard and started beating him and yelling at him to get away from the children, would you say he would be justified in shooting her?

I love how you use the "little old lady" situation to demonstrate assault with a weapon.

If the person felt their safety was endanger, then yes, they are justified.

Your biased example is very cute. You might was well write for MDA and scream

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: MOMof3

And you have the right to go or not go. Your choice.

what if I had my kid playing there, and you came walking around with a gun, and I told you to get the "F" away from my children with that gun, would you shoot me?...I don't know who you are, what mental condition you're in, what beef you have with someone, from 50 yards away, I don't know if you're on drugs, drunk, pissed off, and from 50 yards away, I have no way of protecting my child or myself.....and your answer is we have a choice to be at that park?

Since when do you have the right to force others out of a place you frequent?

I can't help you are fearful of anyone with a firearm. That sounds like a sad way to go through life.

You have the right to stay or leave. Just like anyone else.

I, or anyone, have the right to be there, armed or not.

There has been no violation of rights in the above mentioned.

The only thing you have shown, is that your feelings are in question and you fear someone.

Do you still fear monsters under your bed?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

And I guess you would react the same way to someone carrying a concealed firearm....

Because at the end of the day, this all amounts to your fear of something you see, driving towards this attitude that you get to dictate to others what they can and can't do while exercising a Right that everyone has.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

the whole problem is...no one knows if he is non-aggressive, who determines that? and how?...and how long would it take? seconds? minutes?....do they carry a sign that says.....i'm a good guy, mentally stable, not angry, not drunk, not on drugs, not out to shoot my wife or anyone else at this park.

If you can not look at a person and decide if they are acting in an aggressive manner, than I would suggest you need to get out more.

It really is pretty simple... if the man is simply walking around like everyone else is, than he is not being aggressive. If he is waving a gun around, screaming, yelling, etc etc etc then I would think that would be considered aggressive behavior.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
been to fiji. Good call, the poster might like it there. When I went there were no guns and the culture was so open that the kids slept in any house they chose because everyone older than them was considered their guardian. And nobody was worried. I think it's changed a lot since the 80's but it was peaceful at the time.

But I prefer it here in the usa where I can have the freedom to carry a weapon to protect myself and others.

But if others want to leave that in the hands of others, which I think is sorta irresponsible, then fine. Fiji awaits you. Personally I would rather go to Bali if I had to choose. Better jungles and plant life, better bars, and lompok has some amazing dive spots. Just don't expect me to do the same with my personal safety, I'll leave that in my own hands.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

i got one better. discover an island under no nationality. call dibs, then bam! i can own anything i want. nah the guy i was saying it to needs to find a place more their style. let us gun owners worry about our responsibility
edit on 14-5-2014 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Well, there's this: link

Urban parks are often difficult to police. Compared with streets and buildings, their boundaries are complex and ill-defined. Often the police don't have accurate data on exactly what crime and disorder is occurring in the urban park, or where. Parks are also difficult to patrol, they're hard to lock up, and it is difficult to install alarm systems in them. Natural vegetation, especially in parks with more naturalistic settings, often inhibits surveillance, and closed-circuit television (CCTV) is unlikely to be able to cover the whole park

Also, police response times in many areas of the U.S. are abysmal. Even if the police station is right next door, it can take several minutes for them to arrive on the scene.

What is this man afraid of?

This is Georgia. Even large towns and small cities in the south tend to be semi-rural. The risk of random wild animals is higher than one would expect in a public park, even in a good sized town. It's also spring, which means that the animals could be caring for young, making it even more dangerous. It's also the time of year where rabies catches hold hard from what I've always been told.

There's also a problem where I'm originally from (the Carolina foothills) of drug dealers using public parks for deals or occasionally people wandering into the park when they're tweaked out on meth. Being that Georgia is only a state or two over, I imagine it's not too much of a stretch to wonder if they're having the same problems.

This man is probably carrying a gun because he has genuine, valid concerns about those dangers. As for the knife...well, a man carrying a knife, even up to 4 or 5 inches, is pretty normal where I'm from.

As an aside, though, I don't know that I believe he was waving it around and other such things. Police in my part of the country are not known for being officer friendly or light-handed, especially with idiots, and if he was actually doing all that, it seems to me that they easily could have gotten him for harassment or disturbing the peace.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join