It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: UxoriousMagnus

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: UxoriousMagnus

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto
a reply to: SpaDe_

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

how do you loiter in a Public park?

guns are so scary.....hard to keep under control like a rabid pit bull that hasn't been fed for a week.

You just never know when they are going to jump out of their holsters and start cutting people down left and right.

the owner of the gun wouldn't even have time to respond before people were dead or dying in the park.....kids screaming.....moms crying....and all because of the GUUUUUUNS!!!

this isn't the wild west anymore.....just remember ..... gun owners......you can't control that wild animal that is in your holster.....they attack without you knowing and before you can even get your hands back around it to stop all the killing.

Please.....please.....just let the loving cops and government have guns.....they know how to keep them under control and have their guns better trained....

LOL. The pit bull reference is nonsense. Guns are inanimate objects--they do nothing on their own. Only the police are professional enough? Really? Have you even read any of the myriad of threads about police abuse, police brutality, governmental overreach--NSA, drones, GITMO, sequestration, IRS abuse. Those are the people you trust to have a monopoly on arms? Really?

uh.....Navy Doctor Dude.....there is this thing called sarcasm.....same team man.....same team....

I was trying to be nonsensical to show how absurd the anti-gun crowd is...

OOPS. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

So, I have the right to do something, but I shouldn't exercise that right because people are idiots and don't know the law?

Yeah, that is the biggest steaming pile of Bull Crap I have read today.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Now, i'm gonna weigh in on this one....after having read the WHOLE thread...

I've done a bit of research, and read other articles about this subject. some news reports said he was purposely walking up to people, and exposing his weapon, and drawing attention to it, and verbally taunting people with it. then, there are reports that say he was exposing the weapon, drawing attention it, but with no verbal taunting. and then there are reports that say he was just there, walking around, with the weapon in plain sight..

now, given the conflicting nature of the reports, it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to personally say which accounts are accurate, as i was not there.

if he was exposing the weapon, drawing attention to it, and verbally taunting people, then the guy is a goddamn idiot. i'm all for open carry, but advertising like that, is just...i dunno, kinda dumb....it's like carrying a multitool, or a pocket knife, or special keys....you carry them, you use them when you need them, but you don't go showing them off, and making a scene...trolling ain't cool..

if he was exposing the weapons, drawing attention it, but not verbally taunting people, i'd still say he's a bit of a dumbass....

and if he was just walking around, with the weapon in plain sight, not doing anything provocative, then i see absolutely no issue whatsoever...and if this is what was happening, i honestly don't understand what all the fuss is about.

..now that that's out of the way, what's a Daedalus post, without individual attention, for the especially ignorant among us?

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

soooooo....if i'm carrying, and it's an especially lovely day, and i decide i want to sit on a bench, in a public park, and read the paper, or a book, and drink coffee, or perhaps some sort of delicious cool beverage, you would suggest that i be arrested?

with the exception of being arrested, that scenario sounds like a description of my perfect sunday....

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Your right..we have become more pussified as you said. Someone should have simply walked up to him and broke his nose. Granted, he would have taken the gun out at that point and probably used it, because people who openly carry are -always- wimps who need to compensate for their lack of self defense ability..that changed also...as he is the true one who is the puss here overall.

And that would have been illegal on behalf of the puncher..but hey, sometimes a bit of time behind bars to save a neighborhood from undesirables may be necessary.

ok, so you would advocate violence against another human being, who isn't doing anything wrong(assuming this is the case), and classify them as "undesirable", simply because you disagree with them, or because they don't think like you? i daresay you, and people like you, are a FAR larger threat to public safety, than a guy in a park, with a pistol tucked in his pants...

and lemme tell you something else....your classification of gun carriers as "wimps" is moronic... why do people carry guns? because they can, and because they want to be properly equipped on the off chance that they are confronted with a situation where one is needed. if you're confronted by someone with a gun or a knife, what exactly would you suggest they be armed with, to defend themselves? harsh language, perhaps?

i've been known to carry, and i'll tell you straight up, if you were to walk up to me, and punch me, i'd be more inclined to ball up my fist, and break your goddamn face, than i would be to jerk that pistol, and REALLY f**k up your day...

and even if someone's carrying because they're rubbish at fisticuffs, what's it to you? would you rather they just don't bother defending themselves at all? maybe they should die, because they don't measure up to your ideal of "manliness"?

and what about women who carry?...or do they get a pass because they're weak, and need an equalizer?

seriously man, what the hell?

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Its a distraction from the actual topic, I understand your desire to focus in on the distraction and completely overlook the topic itself. It is easier as that is an absurd overreaction.

This thread is about commonsense..which is meant to trump rights. Sure...what I do is legal, but is it sensible? If no..then why not, just for the hell of it...add to the discussion verses moon everyone and say its legal so shaddup and let a few change an entire community

i wouldn't call it a distraction, so much as the poster voicing(so to speak) their opinion, which they are absolutely allowed to do...even if the opinion isn't sensible.

to advocate that you shouldn't be in a park if you don't have kids, or "legitimate business"(who defines what's legit?), is rather asinine, especially when you take into consideration, that the entire basis of that opinion, is predicated upon the fact that the man was carrying a gun. if he wasn't carrying, then, it could be safely inferred, that the poster would have no issue with the alleged "loitering". the implication is that people with guns should either leave them home(which would kinda defeat the purpose of owning one in an open-carry state), or just stay home all the time, and be a shut-in....it's this kind of thinking, that rights are only rights as long as you're not making anyone uncomfortable, that lead to the invention of the "first amendment zone"...

as to common sense....who determines what's common sense? i mean, sure, there's certain things i think EVERYONE could agree fall under that classification...like, don't punch people for no reason, don't run around, randomly showing people your penis, don't throw bricks at cars, or children, or household pets...but when you get into things like constitutional rights, it shouldn't ever be considered common sense to ignore them, or simply not exercise them, because someone else doesn't like it....

a reply to: Olivine

why do people always say that the only reason people carry guns, is because they're afraid of everything?

why can't it just be because they feel like it? if they're breaking no law, why is it a problem?

and why does the presence of a gun on one's hip, immediately preclude the possibility of civil interaction, in some people's minds?

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Hilarious..when gun owners have the nerve to call others cowards..

If I am not mistaken it is gun owners who are pussified..I mean always living in fear that the boogeyman is around every corner out to get them.

and then there's this kind of blind, idiotic hatred...useless ridicule, and hyperbole...at least Olivine had the sense to express the thought in a civil and intelligent manner....you could learn a lot from him/her

you assume that people carry because they are overly fearful, you assume they carry to compensate for some fault or deficiency....i do believe you are, in fact, mistaken in those assumptions..

is it not possible that the unnecessary abundance of fear does not lie with the carrier of the weapon, but with those who irrationally overreact to the simple, non-threatening presence of it?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Well said Daedalus! I'm surprised nobody else pointed out SaturnFX advocating a violent (illegal) act against someone who had committed no crime... Do you really want to live in a world where someone should physically assault you just because you offended them? Should it be acceptable for me to pull someone out of their car and beat the crap out of them just because they put an annoying fart-can muffler and big ass spoiler on their Honda, or if they cut me off, or were tailgating, or...

In my mind what it comes down to is you either trust your fellow man or you don't. If he was carrying concealed the gun would still be there, you just wouldn't know it - either way, how safe you are doesn't change simply because the gun is visible or not... Ignorance is bliss I guess. And if you don't trust your fellow man, then you might as well just never leave home, lock the doors, pull the shades, and hide out from the world.

I wish more people would realize that criminals are not going to be open carrying and not freak out every time they see a gun, because you're not going to see their gun until it is in their hand and they are ready to do bad things... I bet the number of people legally open carrying a gun that went on to commit a crime with said gun is pretty low or even non-existent (Excluding police of course), just as it is with legal concealed carriers.

For the last couple of years I've been living outside the US in Israel for work and just about every day I see actual assault rifles (ie full auto M-16's & Tavors) as well as pistols open carried. The armed solders are not like they're on patrol with full tactical gear in a war zone or anything, they're just kids (18-20) waiting at the bus stop, eating at McDonald's, and shopping at the mall - sometimes in uniform, sometimes in civvies. There is armed security at the entrance of every mall, most grocery stores, banks, post offices, etc. Even though private gun ownership is pretty low here (about 5%), I see a lot more guns when out and about compared to the US and nobody here is bothered by it. One time I saw a young girl (18ish) jogging down the street in civilian clothes with her M-16 by the carry handle and nobody thought anything of it. No SWAT teams or police called, people didn't go running in the other direction, schools were not locked down, and in fact the schools also have armed security. I actually feel safer here than I do in the US most of the time, in part because of the highly visible presence of guns. I know that if someone is up to no good it is very likely they will be quickly taken out.

Back in the US and even here I always carry a knife mainly because it is a useful tool to have on hand, but in the rare event of a bad situation I WILL use every tool at my disposal to protect my family, myself, and even others if needed. If they would let me have a gun here I would carry it, and when I return to the US I will carry one as well. Not because I am a pussy, but because I believe in being prepared and taking responsibility for my own protection - when seconds count, the police are minutes (or even hours) away... Do you think a criminal is going to challenge you to an honorable fist fight, then help you up and buy you a beer after he bests you? NO! They will inflict as much damage as they can or even kill you! They will call their 10 buddies over to make the job go quicker. The gun is a great equalizer, even if they have one too.

Those that fear the mere sight of a gun in a holster are falling in line just like the government and Eric Holder want - you've been brainwashed...
edit on 5-5-2014 by CommandoJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CommandoJoe

yeah, i'm just good like that..

thanks for the kind words, and additional truth.

it just sucks i didn't get more replies or stars....i typically try to refrain from making big posts like the one above, because they usually get ignored, and even though they're REALLY GOOD posts, i feel like i wasted my time, because nobody reads or replies to them...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpaDe_
a reply to: SaturnFX

I still can't see what the problem is here. So sad that people freak out about a guy doing something harmless and legal and you lot class him like he is some drug dealing thug.

This argument doesn't work and since this forum values opinions I won't hold back in saying it.
Obviously questioning him would be considered unfairly "profiling" the man, so the ideal state of things should have every situation resolved with a shootout? The solutions around here seem to be along the lines of "so arm everyone"

That's just a powder keg of life taking force waiting to go off on every confrontation. It just doesn't make any sense.

As for the man, no one knows what he was doing but it's not Deer mating season so he has no claim to be afraid of wildlife attacking him on his walk around the park. He's likely bigoted to the core.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BlubberyConspiracy

what doesn't make any sense is your post....

you're making assumptions. if he wasn't doing anything illegal, why question him?

if he was being deliberately provocative, and taunting people, then i could see there might be a need to ask him some questions, but if he's just hanging out, or walking around, where's the problem?

i mean, opinions are one thing, but what you've done is said a bunch of nonsense....

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So, what about the rights of the parents, grandparents, caretakers, and children? Do you really believe their attention is on the children with a guy like that walking around? Perfect setup opportunity for a child abductor. All the adults distracted at the same time.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Any distraction can do this.

I guess ban the ice cream truck, as this lures the kids in close for someone to grab them.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

And there is no right to not be distracted. Sounds like you have again pawned off responsibility of your actions, onto others.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I bet you there are no drug dealers hanging around in that park.
I bet there are no child molesters hanging around in that park.
I also bet that criminals in general are steering clear of that park.

Sounds like a nice safe place to take your kids.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Then why did everyone leave? The next day the park was empty.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

Well, have it your way. As an elderly grandma, I would feel like I was not quick enough anymore to handle guns in the park. So, I would do what the article said the parents did, not go to the park.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

And you have the right to go or not go. Your choice.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
this gun control thing is out of control

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman

And you have the right to go or not go. Your choice.

so if one of these mothers came over to the guy and started yelling at the guy to get out of the park with the gun, and he refused, and then she came back with a cane or something hard and started beating him and yelling at him to get away from the children, would you say he would be justified in shooting her?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

a reply to: SpaDe_

Parks are public areas, you don't have to have children to go to a park. There is no such thing as loitering in a PUBLIC park.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I bet you there are no drug dealers hanging around in that park.
I bet there are no child molesters hanging around in that park.
I also bet that criminals in general are steering clear of that park.

Sounds like a nice safe place to take your kids.

how is anyone at that park suppose to know this guy is not out to shoot someone when they enter? he might be there to kill his wife after an argument....you want policeman standing around to make sure the guy walking into park has his CP, and is calm and not there to shoot someone? what if he lied, and decided to go out in a blaze of gunfire?...what if he lost his job that day and decided to make the world pay?.....how would anyone suppose to guess that a guy walking into a park presents a threat?....who would get close enough to ask him?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

would she have though? would he shoot her or simply stomp her left toe while the right one is stepping forward? that would be the best way to knock someone down without looking like you were doing much

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

what if he was just passing through? was the gun loaded or pointed at anybody?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join