It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The gun rights thing is out of control!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Hilarious..when gun owners have the nerve to call others cowards..

If I am not mistaken it is gun owners who are pussified..I mean always living in fear that the boogeyman is around every corner out to get them.

No a coward is someone who would abrogate their responsibility to other people to defend themselves and their families.
The ironic part is that those cowards call men to defend them who carry--wait for it--guns.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I took my daughter to the park everyday unitl she was in school and some of the people I met are my best friends today. That said, if I'd seen a man struting around with a side arm, I wouldn't have taken it too kindly either.

In fact I was uncomforable when the police cruised the park.

Honestly, I long for the right to be safe (and I do know there is no perfect safetly) with my child in a public park. I was my child to be safe at school.

Anyone, and I repeat anyone, can have a bad day and lose it. With a gun - those days - turn can turn into tragedies.

And an earlier poster is correct - it is about common sense with a dash of wisdom.

It is neither. Common sense tells you that you are safer with an armed good guy than unarmed at all. People just "don't lose it." Every violent act we see has a long and definite prodrome leading up to it that is ignored. Your child in the park is in more danger absent an armed law abiding citizen. Please let me know what you look like so I can not come to your aid when something bad happens. Call the police.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: UxoriousMagnus

originally posted by: Sergeant Stiletto
a reply to: SpaDe_

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

how do you loiter in a Public park?

guns are so scary.....hard to keep under control like a rabid pit bull that hasn't been fed for a week.

You just never know when they are going to jump out of their holsters and start cutting people down left and right.

the owner of the gun wouldn't even have time to respond before people were dead or dying in the park.....kids screaming.....moms crying....and all because of the GUUUUUUNS!!!

this isn't the wild west anymore.....just remember ..... gun owners......you can't control that wild animal that is in your holster.....they attack without you knowing and before you can even get your hands back around it to stop all the killing.

Please.....please.....just let the loving cops and government have guns.....they know how to keep them under control and have their guns better trained....

LOL. The pit bull reference is nonsense. Guns are inanimate objects--they do nothing on their own. Only the police are professional enough? Really? Have you even read any of the myriad of threads about police abuse, police brutality, governmental overreach--NSA, drones, GITMO, sequestration, IRS abuse. Those are the people you trust to have a monopoly on arms? Really?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

The articles and interviews clearly show that he was hanging out in the parking lot showing off his weapons for the sake of showing off his weapons. He was behaving provocatively and had no purpose for being in the park other than to agitate.

That people refuse to acknowledge that and simply repeat their gun advocate talking points is the height of anti-social behavior, a total disregard for the community at large - bordering on extremism.

I would go so far as to say that the Forsyth County Georgia Sheriff absolutely could have taken *some* action given the 22 911 phone calls, he simply chose not to because he placed his support of the gun rights agenda above the safety of the families and children at the park and their right to simply enjoy the park for its intended use.

Forsyth County Georgia epitomizes the right and conservative values, generally speaking. The people who called 911 or hid with their kids behind the dug out are very likely gun advocates themselves. So, for that demographic to say it was a provocative, irresponsible move by this lunatic - you can bank on it.
edit on 4/25/2014 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
One thing I do know is that parents in the USA are also getting out of control when it comes to perceived entitlements in public. They think they set the rules anywhere they take their kids. I've had concerned parents call the police when I'm standing 200 feet away in a public park teaching a martial arts lesson to a student. Cops come up. Don't give me any trouble. Tell me that they were called by concerned parents because it looked violent. No weapons or anything. Not even mma. No grappling. Just teaching a Kali hand striking combination. That was enough to warrant the cops showing up. In the end the cops laughed at the situation and asked me to teach them the combo because it looked cool and seemed more effective than whatever Krav Maga stuff they were taught at some seminar.

The parents ( mostly ) self absorbed trophy moms from Brentwood took turns walking by and staring in disgust at me. Took the time to walk 200 feet out if their way to try and make me feel uncomfortable enough to leave.

So yeah there is a problem with the general population of American suburbanites.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Oh I definitely concede it's a stretch.

I just think that if the guy has such poor judgment and discretion to do something so ignorant and that enough parents were concerned to leave or hide - maybe it would be prudent to at least ask him to move along if not haul him in for some rudimentary inquiry.

I also think that this thread has is a lot of "internet tough guy" talk. You guys are all flapping your lips saying one thing, but if a dude did this in your own neighborhood or community, with your own kids or grandkids - your talking points would be TOTALLY different.

How is it different? You are afraid of someone walking around, minding his own business, and bothering no one simple because he have one object or another on his person? Who is being paranoid? Who is being histrionic?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

it seems sarcastic. who in their right mind thinks this way other than cartoon characters from shows on adult swim?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

The articles and interviews clearly show that he was hanging out in the parking lot showing off his weapons for the sake of showing off his weapons. He was behaving provocatively and had no purpose for being in the park other than to agitate.

That people refuse to acknowledge that and simply repeat their gun advocate talking points is the height of anti-social behavior, a total disregard for the community at large - bordering on extremism.

I would go so far as to say that the Forsyth County Georgia Sheriff absolutely could have taken *some* action given the 22 911 phone calls, he simply chose not to because he placed his support of the gun rights agenda above the safety of the families and children at the park and their right to simply enjoy the park for its intended use.

No, people say he was being provocative because that is what they perceive and want to believe.

How was the "safety of the families in the park or their ability to enjoy it infringed? Was he behaving in a threatening manner or were these people simply afraid of an inanimate object?

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
If he was showing off his weapons then The cops coukd have and would
have probably relished arresting him for brandishing a weapon with the intent to intimidate.a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

edit on 25-4-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockoperawriter

it seems sarcastic. who in their right mind thinks this way other than cartoon characters from shows on adult swim?

I dunno. An inanimate object is an inanimate object.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Now you are being purposely obtuse and overly rhetorical.

It's so easy to sit on the internet and beg the issue by over simplifying it, reducing it to a parody.

It takes much more courage and consideration to admit that either extreme of the gun issue is a failure of society.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

right. people need to understand that they could walk up to this guy "hey can you say something to my kids? they think you're up to something. they don't know guns too well. just what's on t.v. they're a little scared" then one of two things, either organic diplomacy or martyrdom. that's what i would have done because fear breeds bullchit

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sergeant Stiletto

not society but the choice of an individual. you say you own a gun(s?) but don't act the way you have seen someone act, thus making exemplifying some kind of discipline. would you have reacted differently if he was sitting with his best friend and they were showing eachother their pistols going "oh dude niice. a .40 that little thingy pops up indicating whether or not it's loaded"?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Oh I definitely concede it's a stretch.

I just think that if the guy has such poor judgment and discretion to do something so ignorant and that enough parents were concerned to leave or hide - maybe it would be prudent to at least ask him to move along if not haul him in for some rudimentary inquiry.

I also think that this thread has is a lot of "internet tough guy" talk. You guys are all flapping your lips saying one thing, but if a dude did this in your own neighborhood or community, with your own kids or grandkids - your talking points would be TOTALLY different.

not really....I live in Idaho where you can open carry and I do open carry about 70% of the time....so another guy open carrying would not freak me out anymore than I freak myself out.

the country has become full of wussies and pansies and people who are afraid of their own shadows. It is disgusting and sad.

why is it ok if a cop shows up at the same park....wearing a gun? for some reason a silly uniform and a badge makes him more trust worthy to carry a gun? Not for me.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

a reply to: SpaDe_

The guy had no kids or business to conduct at the park. I think he should have been arrested for loitering.

guns are so scary.....hard to keep under control like a rabid pit bull that hasn't been fed for a week.

You just never know when they are going to jump out of their holsters and start cutting people down left and right.

the owner of the gun wouldn't even have time to respond before people were dead or dying in the park.....kids screaming.....moms crying....and all because of the GUUUUUUNS!!!

this isn't the wild west anymore.....just remember ..... gun owners......you can't control that wild animal that is in your holster.....they attack without you knowing and before you can even get your hands back around it to stop all the killing.

Please.....please.....just let the loving cops and government have guns.....they know how to keep them under control and have their guns better trained....

LOL. The pit bull reference is nonsense. Guns are inanimate objects--they do nothing on their own. Only the police are professional enough? Really? Have you even read any of the myriad of threads about police abuse, police brutality, governmental overreach--NSA, drones, GITMO, sequestration, IRS abuse. Those are the people you trust to have a monopoly on arms? Really?

uh.....Navy Doctor Dude.....there is this thing called sarcasm.....same team man.....same team....

I was trying to be nonsensical to show how absurd the anti-gun crowd is...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Now you are being purposely obtuse and overly rhetorical.

It's so easy to sit on the internet and beg the issue by over simplifying it, reducing it to a parody.

It takes much more courage and consideration to admit that either extreme of the gun issue is a failure of society.

don't you think it is a bit obtuse to be on the internet chastising someone who is ..... on the internet?

using that as an argument diminishes your own argument.....do you not see this?

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

It is neither. Common sense tells you that you are safer with an armed good guy than unarmed at all. People just "don't lose it." Every violent act we see has a long and definite prodrome leading up to it that is ignored. Your child in the park is in more danger absent an armed law abiding citizen. Please let me know what you look like so I can not come to your aid when something bad happens. Call the police.

You are correct in saying that someone isn't 'all-to-together' one day and just looses it. But that doesn't make my point any less valid. People around them are aware 'something' isn't right - but to a stranger's perception they just 'loose it". And, given the right circumstances (grief, fear, hatred,ect) anyone, and I truly mean anyone, can lose it and become violent and dangerous.

Most people are fortunate that they don't have to deal with 'issues' that may bring them to the point of 'going postal' or 'loosing it' but because it hasn't happened to you - doesn't mean it can't.

I've felt the 'urge' if you will on two occassions - fortunately, both times friends were able to back me down. I only abused apliances. But, you knows, if I'd had a gun handy.

My former husband, lost it over being laid off. He couldn't handle it and over time I feared for him, my daughter and me.

I've seen it with very respectable and sober friends. The stresses build up, and without release, they boil over.

I've worked with many people who in dealing with their anger have expressed similar stories - some with very, very bad endings.

You are right it doesn't happen over night - but it does happen and can to anyone.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

okay dude seriously i have gotten to the point where i'm breaking household appliances and not once did i ever go for my gun. i've walked in on a suicide before and when i'm mad it's the last thing i go for. i've been around guns too long to forget that when some person or animal dies it's forever. guns are specifically purpose built and reflect self discipline. just because i have an anger problem does not mean that i am going to risk murder or dare i say suicide for something that is as trivial. it's like saying if i get mad in a fit of rage i can take a frozen orange and put it inside a sock and kill people with it. you're not supposed to have a loaded gun in the house anyway

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

The men of old use to have respect for women and children and removed their guns and hats and wiped their boots. The men have changed, not the weapon.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

So true. Everybody has their trigger. I have seen it happened to men and one woman, I would never have believed it possible.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join